Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Born to Kill: Deathstroke
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:00 am 

Yep, this was one of my first stories, which I've left incomplete due to Uni and other stuff. I'm not very satisfied with how I started because 1: I tried to tell two stories instead of sticking to the origin tale and 2: I didn't plan ahead, instead making it up as I went along. I'm a little wiser now, and I am considering brushing off the dust from my folder of notes and ideas on Deathstroke and reviving the story once I've reworked the original three chapters and reposting it on Fanfiction (and Sincronos of course, once I figure out how CWS and Phiend do it). You can find the original story here.

Basically, what I want to do now is tell Slade's dark, twisted tale from his earliest days right up to his latest clash with the Teen Titans, full of fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles... now where have I heard that before? :|

The reason I'm posting this is because I don't think I can quite manage this on my own. I need some constructive criticism and assistance whenever I'm dealing with subjects that I have no knowledge of, but you might. I'd be ashamed to admit this a couple of years ago, but I think it's time I ditched the loner attitude and swallow a little pride.

Post subject: Re: Born to Kill: Deathstroke
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:17 am 
Site Admin

snowman1989 wrote:
Yep, this was one of my first stories, which I've left incomplete due to Uni and other stuff. I'm not very satisfied with how I started because 1: I tried to tell two stories instead of sticking to the origin tale and 2: I didn't plan ahead, instead making it up as I went along. I'm a little wiser now, and I am considering brushing off the dust from my folder of notes and ideas on Deathstroke and reviving the story once I've reworked the original three chapters and reposting it on Fanfiction (and Sincronos of course, once I figure out how CWS and Phiend do it).
It's not something you'll be able to "figure out" how to do, since we're the only ones who have access to the site proper in terms of editing existing pages and adding new content. Having said that, we can discuss it again once you have something you're more pleased with. ;)
Quote:
The reason I'm posting this is because I don't think I can quite manage this on my own. I need some constructive criticism and assistance whenever I'm dealing with subjects that I have no knowledge of, but you might. I'd be ashamed to admit this a couple of years ago, but I think it's time I ditched the loner attitude and swallow a little pride.
It takes a lot of guts to take that step, and speaking candidly, I think it's something I still struggle with a lot myself. But eventually, one comes to a point where it becomes necessary if we are to continue improving our skills.

I like to think of it as making a decision to take our work more seriously, and ourselves less seriously. :D

Anyway, having reviewed the story a couple hours ago, I'll let others comment before I attempt to get into further detail.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:09 am 
Site Admin

All right, well, let me ask a couple questions here, while I'm thinking of them.

In a nutshell, what exactly is it that you are wanting to do in this story? You've mentioned wanting to explore and flesh out Slade's background, history and origins. Can you be any more specific?

Are there any specific elements of the previous version you were especially pleased with, and any that you felt weren't really working the way you wanted them to? And on that note, was there anything in particular that you were looking for input on?

That should give us a bit of direction. :rbg:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:14 pm 

I had an outline like this in mind when telling the story:

1: Slade's childhood.
2: Joining the army, meeting Adeline and Wintergreen.
3: Taking the experimental serum and discovering his new abilities.
4: Discharge from the army. Gradually starts to take on a darker personality from here on.
5: Life as a hunter, then as the mercenary Deathstroke, diversifying his operations into businesses and robotics.
6: Falling out with Adeline after a rescue operation goes wrong.
7: Slade continues mercenary work. Offered a job against the Teen Titans, but refuses.
8: Slade's son is given the job instead, but ends in his death. Slade promises he will complete the contract.
9: For the first time, he fails to complete a contract, despite intensive planning and treachery from Terra.
10: Latest confrontation with the Titans.

I feel that with the story I've written so far, I've made a start in describing his time in the army, but I haven't done nearly enough and left it sloppy and incomplete. It was only after I wrote it that I realised that his childhood must have been important in shaping who he is (he joins up illegally at age 15), and up to that point I was only intending to start with Slade's military service. Like I said earlier, I do not consider it finished and I fully intend to rewrite the story after more intensive and organised planning.

Last edited by snowman1989 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:37 pm 

Sorry to double post, but I have difficulty typing on the pages beyond a certain word limit. Anyway, I'll give an outline of each point I made above and let you guys comment on it before I move on to the next one.

1: Slade's childhood ( up to age 15) has never been explored in the comics (as far as I know), which is a mistake because this is the most important period in a person's life, when their personality and outlook on life is first forged. What kind of childhood would a person like Slade have gone through? Considering his personality, it would have to have been highly competitive and demanding, where not everybody will have survived. I'm thinking a poor background, in a place full of gangs, where his parents steadily get poorer and poorer as they cannot afford to raise Slade. Demands from local gangs and corrupt police probably wouldn't help. I don't think Slade had a negative view of his parents; I think his parents genuinely loved him, but their poverty meant that he often had to fend for himself, taking opportunities whenever he could. He'd have been involved in a lot of fights too, so he'd have to have learned fast and think on his toes, or it would have been the pearly gates for him.

So, would he have grown up in Gotham? Bludhaven? Suicide Slums? Detroit maybe? :lol: This would have made more sense if I had followed the comics version as he first saw service in Korea, and considering his age, he'd have been born in the 1930's or late 1920's, in the height of the Depression. But I'm following a more modern continuity, trying to blend together the animated series with the comics in a way, if that makes sense.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:57 pm 
Site Admin

snowman1989 wrote:
Sorry to double post, but I have difficulty typing on the pages beyond a certain word limit. Anyway, I'll give an outline of each point I made above and let you guys comment on it before I move on to the next one.

1: Slade's childhood ( up to age 15) has never been explored in the comics (as far as I know), which is a mistake because this is the most important period in a person's life, when their personality and outlook on life is first forged. What kind of childhood would a person like Slade have gone through? Considering his personality, it would have to have been highly competitive and demanding, where not everybody will have survived. I'm thinking a poor background, in a place full of gangs, where his parents steadily get poorer and poorer as they cannot afford to raise Slade. Demands from local gangs and corrupt police probably wouldn't help. I don't think Slade had a negative view of his parents; I think his parents genuinely loved him, but their poverty meant that he often had to fend for himself, taking opportunities whenever he could. He'd have been involved in a lot of fights too, so he'd have to have learned fast and think on his toes, or it would have been the pearly gates for him.

So, would he have grown up in Gotham? Bludhaven? Suicide Slums? Detroit maybe? :lol: This would have made more sense if I had followed the comics version as he first saw service in Korea, and considering his age, he'd have been born in the 1930's or late 1920's, in the height of the Depression. But I'm following a more modern continuity, trying to blend together the animated series with the comics in a way, if that makes sense.

It makes sense to me, since I'm trying to do something similar in Family, as I'm sure you'd noticed. :rbg:

Now then, with that in mind...if we're to assume the TT animated series is set in a more or less current or recent timeline, it's likely that Slade would have been born probably sometime in the 1950s, or maybe early '60s at the latest, but I think '50s is more likely. If you're sticking with his military enlistment at 15, it's possible that he could have seen some action in Vietnam toward the end of the war. That would also be convenient in terms of establishing some background for him in that region, since if I'm not mistaken, that's where he later met Lillian. It would also be a way for you to stay close to his established history in the comics, where he did fight in Vietnam at the very beginning of the war, you're just moving the timeline a few years to place him toward the end of it instead.

As for his childhood and family background, there are several established details in the comics which suggest he may not have come from the happiest of homes. His own behavior as a husband and parent suggest this. Beyond that, we also know that he has a half-brother whose last name (DeFarge) is different from Slade's (Wilson). This indicates that his parents divorced, which was fairly uncommon in the U.S. back in the '50s and '60s. Or perhaps that his father died, and his mother remarried (which was still somewhat uncommon, though less so). And we also know that there was no love lost between the half-siblings. Anyway, the fact that he enlisted in the Army during the height of the Cold War, and went so far as to lie about his age in order to do so as early as possible, suggests that he was very eager to leave home, and as such it's safe to assume that he wasn't happy there.

That doesn't necessarily contradict the ideas you mentioned above, either. But it could be worth considering in addition to them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:28 am 

Ah, yes, the DeFarges. I hadn't considered them very much, particularly their origin. This makes things much messier, but no less intriguing. Another detail that hasn't been properly covered in the comics either.

You think of a dysfunctional 1950's American household. I don't know. This was a fairly prosperous time (despite the bland conformity I've seen in the history books), and discord generally rears its ugly head when times are quite grim (I know this because my history teachings demonstrate this time and time again). The men would have come home fresh from the war... well, maybe it could work. :D Perhaps Slade would have hero-worshipped his father as a child (as Grant would do the same later on), telling him a few war stories and inspiring him to take a career in the armed forces... or perhaps not. Veterans in general don't like to talk about the horrors they endured during those dark days in Europe and the Pacific. Even my late talkactive grandparents never talked much about their time in Nazi occupied Holland, and they were civilians.

I am trying to make the story more contemporary, and you saw that I had placed Slade in Iraq during the war with Iran, and with a small child. I'm not sure how long Slade served before he met Adeline, but I know that it was love at first sight when they did. These are good ideas Corey... can I call you Corey? It's possible that Slade grew up in a violent family, but I'll need to think on this more. I don't want this story to go overboard on angst and tragedy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:21 am 
Site Admin

snowman1989 wrote:
Ah, yes, the DeFarges. I hadn't considered them very much, particularly their origin. This makes things much messier, but no less intriguing. Another detail that hasn't been properly covered in the comics either.
I'd totally forgotten about Wade (whose whole existence was an obvious inside joke, anyway) too, until I was actually writing that last reply. But it could be an interesting detail to flesh out some of the background elements you're looking for.
Quote:
You think of a dysfunctional 1950's American household. I don't know. This was a fairly prosperous time (despite the bland conformity I've seen in the history books), and discord generally rears its ugly head when times are quite grim (I know this because my history teachings demonstrate this time and time again).
Don't be so sure about that, economic prosperity does not guarantee happiness, and appearances can be deceiving...but moreover, if Slade was born sometime in the mid-1950s, that would mean his formative years would have been the '60s, which were an extremely tumultuous political era in the U.S. to say the very least. There was the civil rights movement, among many other things, and as you implied in a previous post, there was violent opposition to it in some places. The national rates of crime and drug abuse exploded in the '60s, there were some instances of genuine domestic political terrorism, not to mention the Kennedy and King assassinations.

Contrary to what the hippies like to claim, the "Age of Aquarius" was anything but peaceful. :lol:

Also, let's not forget the possible Vietnam angle. That would be a profound experience for someone at such a young age and could explain quite a few things about him, in and of itself.
Quote:
The men would have come home fresh from the war... well, maybe it could work. :D Perhaps Slade would have hero-worshipped his father as a child (as Grant would do the same later on), telling him a few war stories and inspiring him to take a career in the armed forces... or perhaps not. Veterans in general don't like to talk about the horrors they endured during those dark days in Europe and the Pacific. Even my late talkactive grandparents never talked much about their time in Nazi occupied Holland, and they were civilians.
It all depends, there are a lot of different ways you could explore that. Parents can influence their children with more than just words, and sometimes unconsciously.
Quote:
These are good ideas Corey... can I call you Corey?
Thanks, and sure, if you like.
Quote:
It's possible that Slade grew up in a violent family, but I'll need to think on this more. I don't want this story to go overboard on angst and tragedy.
I can see your point, but whatever you decide in your mind, it's entirely up to you how much you choose to focus on or explicitly spell out on the page. There are ways of subtly implying such things and leaving it largely up to the readers to draw their own conclusions, depending on how much they want to read between the lines.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:40 pm 
Site Admin

snowman1989 wrote:
I'm not very satisfied with how I started because...I didn't plan ahead, instead making it up as I went along.
It's difficult, yes, but it can be done. On the other hand, planning everything ahead is just as bad; if you plan out every detail, the plan may stifle any sudden creativity you have.

Personally, I find the best way to go is to have some idea of what the scenes are and how they'll flow together, and write from there. Enough to provide a guiding direction, but still flexible enough to accomodate bursts of inspiration (pretty much this entire chapter came to me as I was writing it, even though I had the beginning and ending circumstances already determined).

snowman1989 wrote:
Basically, what I want to do now is tell Slade's dark, twisted tale from his earliest days right up to his latest clash with the Teen Titans, full of fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles... now where have I heard that before? :|
I do not think it means what you think it means. :-P

snowman1989 wrote:
Slade's childhood ( up to age 15) has never been explored in the comics (as far as I know), which is a mistake because this is the most important period in a person's life, when their personality and outlook on life is first forged.
Childhood happens whether or not it's depicted directly. And, as a key component of personality and mindset, it may mentally involve readers to establish personality and mindset in later life, leaving them to come up with their own views of what childhood must have been like...you know, like you're doing here o_o

It isn't necessarily a mistake to leave it up to reader imagination.

snowman1989 wrote:
You think of a dysfunctional 1950's American household. I don't know. This was a fairly prosperous time (despite the bland conformity I've seen in the history books), and discord generally rears its ugly head when times are quite grim (I know this because my history teachings demonstrate this time and time again).
Bear in mind that with exceedingly few exceptions, uniformity among a large group of intelligent creatures is either an illusion or an abstraction. A prosperous time does not mean everyone was prosperous. Exceptions abound.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:15 pm 

You guys have been awesome so far, and it's a privilege to be getting tips from you veteran amateur writers. And trust me, I mean that in a positive way. I'll be taking your ideas into consideration. :D

This is where Wolfman and Perez started Slade's origin story. I'm sorry to say that I don't have access to the comic that details the story, but I do know that Slade meets Wintergreen here and becomes close friends. Adeline was his instructor at Camp Washington Base and both fell in love almost at once and later have two boys. Slade quickly learns his trade and becomes a prodigy in combat, outclassing many of his teammates, and is determined to be the best, to be at peak form. This is also where he encounters his first antagonist, General Sampson, who liked to send Wintergreen and Slade on suicide missions. I don't know why, but you might. I just assumed he was a corrupt douchebag who got caught with his hands in the cookie jar one day and vowed revenge. Another future adversary of Slade also trained at this camp, William "Bill" Walsh, the second Ravager who took offence to Slade in this time, in part because he also vied for Adeline's affections (she hated him), in part because he perceived Slade to be arrogant and condescending toward him. Again, not too sure on the details.

Any ideas guys?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:21 pm 
Site Admin

snowman1989 wrote:
I'm sorry to say that I don't have access to the comic that details the story

I do! I'll dig it out later when I have more time to get into it. Anything in particular you're wondering about?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:44 pm 
Site Admin

snowman1989 wrote:

This is where Wolfman and Perez started Slade's origin story. I'm sorry to say that I don't have access to the comic that details the story, but I do know that Slade meets Wintergreen here and becomes close friends. Adeline was his instructor at Camp Washington Base and both fell in love almost at once and later have two boys. Slade quickly learns his trade and becomes a prodigy in combat, outclassing many of his teammates, and is determined to be the best, to be at peak form. This is also where he encounters his first antagonist, General Sampson, who liked to send Wintergreen and Slade on suicide missions. I don't know why, but you might. I just assumed he was a corrupt douchebag who got caught with his hands in the cookie jar one day and vowed revenge. Another future adversary of Slade also trained at this camp, William "Bill" Walsh, the second Ravager who took offence to Slade in this time, in part because he also vied for Adeline's affections (she hated him), in part because he perceived Slade to be arrogant and condescending toward him. Again, not too sure on the details.

Any ideas guys?
Sounds like there's an awful lot that could be covered here. Picking one aspect of it to focus on, or at least start with and set up a transition to the next, should help keep your mind (and your readers' attentions) from wandering.

So, out of all the things mentioned in that paragraph...which do you consider the most important?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:58 pm 

First of all, I'd like to know more about what happened during Slade's time in the army. Like I said, the details on Sampson, Walsh, etc are fuzzy on my end and I'd like to know the gist of what went on. I have every intention of including these characters into my story, and I want them to be spot on and true. Also, what it was like, what it looked like, etc. Corey has the story, I'd be interested to see what he's got.
I won't be able to write as much as I'd like because Uni is staring up again, and my internet connection is broken, but I'll do my best to keep up with the storywriting and posting here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:47 am 
Site Admin

Sorry I haven't gotten back to this yet, I haven't forgotten about it and will get to it soon. Just so you know I'm not blowing it off indefinitely. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

All right, let's see, I'll try to summarize Slade's origins as described in the original Judas Contract storyline...

First off, most of it is told from Adeline's perspective, so the very beginning of his military career is not covered since she didn't meet him until he transferred to the Camp Washington training facility. She only mentions that he'd lied about his age to join the Army at 16, became the youngest decorated Korean War hero and "was already an Army legend long before" he came there. Also, by her own words, she was immediately "both frightened and fascinated" by Slade, and "couldn't take her eyes off him".

Incidentally, their ranks at that point are listed as Captain (Addie) and Major (Slade), respectively. Yes, this does mean that Slade held the higher rank, even though Adeline was the camp's lead training officer.

The training at this particular camp focused heavily on jungle/wilderness survival and warfare, guerrilla tactics, and fighting in very small teams vs. superior numbers. During one such exercise, Slade and Bill Walsh were running the course together. Bill got caught in a snare trap and Slade left him there, going on to finish the course solo. Although he failed the course's final obstacle, which was an ambush personally set up (and manned) by Adeline, it's mentioned that Slade was the only candidate who ever even reached the end. Afterward, not surprisingly, Walsh was pretty pissed and accused Slade of trying to improve his own score at his expense. Slade brushed him off, saying that in a real battle Bill would have been dead, not simply captured, and if their positions were reversed he'd have done the same thing. Needless to say, Walsh did not accept this, insisting that Slade cared only about his score and nothing else, and continued to hold a grudge over the incident. He also mocked Slade for having been "beaten by a girl", to which Slade shot back, "Not by a girl, Bill. By a professional. And if she's got something to teach, I suggest you listen. She knows her stuff better than either of us."

Having overheard their conversation, Adeline subsequently approached Slade and offered him additional, and private, training. He accepted her offer, and their relationship obviously grew out of that time spent together. A year later, Slade graduated at the top of his class and was awarded the rank of Lt. Colonel. After the ceremony, Addie jokingly tells him that she's flattered he's chosen to celebrate "with a lowly captain rather than your family or friends," to which Slade responds, "Adeline, my family's gone, and I have no friends." A statement to which Wintergreen, who'd approached them unnoticed, took clear exception.

Six months later Slade and Adeline were married, with Wintergreen standing as Slade's best man. The conflict in southeast Asia escalated a short time later and Slade was assigned there, Grant being born the same night he landed in Vietnam.

When he returned from the war, Slade volunteered for the fateful medical experiment which was ostensibly to aid in resisting so-called truth serums, but which we all know was actually aimed at creating meta-humans. He barely survived the procedure and was comatose for at least a week. The doctors diagnosed him with "ingravescent abrasia", a catastrophic loss of motor coordination, and predicted he would never walk again. Instead, his coordination, reflexes and strength improved to near-superhuman levels. He reapplied for active duty, but was turned down because his condition (at first) was unreliable -- if he over-exerted himself, he'd be near-catatonic the next day. He fell into a period of deep depression, during which Adeline became pregnant with their second child.

A week after Joseph was born, Slade received word that Wintergreen had been captured by the Vietcong. He tried to organize a rescue mission but the military wouldn't listen to him; that leads me to think this must have been toward the end of the war. Anyway, Slade managed to commandeer a plane and successfully carried out the mission by himself; this was also the first time he (unbeknownst to his family) adopted the Deathstroke persona. But Washington was none too pleased that he'd disregarded the chain of command, and discharged him from the Army.

By then, his physical condition had "stabilized" (i.e. no more bouts of weakness and lethargy, and he concealed his enhanced abilities from his family), but he was restless. Seeking a life of danger and risk, he traveled repeatedly to Africa, where he became a highly successful big game hunter. He also secretly became an infamous and sought-after mercenary and assassin-for-hire. Even so, Adeline describes him as having been "a good father" to both his sons. Grant was closest to him and idolized him, but he also loved Joey, even if he was more interested in music and painting than he was in guns and fighting.

Some time later, while Grant was away at military school and Slade was "on a safari", a team of mercs busted in on the Wilson home one autumn night, demanding Deathstroke. Adeline killed most of them, but the ones she missed managed to knock her out and kidnap Joey. Returning home the next day, Slade was forced to finally reveal his secret job to his wife...and you (probably) know the rest. Together, they went to negotiate with the international terrorist who'd captured their son, who was after the identity of one of Deathstroke's contractors. Slade refused to divulge that information on the grounds that it would compromise his professional reputation, and killed everyone in the room, but Joey was maimed and lost his voice as a result. After his condition stabilized, Adeline tried to kill Slade but had to settle for a divorce after she missed and only took out his eye.

Later in the book(s), Wintergreen recounts what was probably the first time he and Slade served together, during the Suez Crisis, at which point Slade was a very young sergeant. This was the incident where Lt. Colonel Sampson, whose first name is never given and who Wintergreen describes as "a horse's ass of a soldier with political connections", sent Slade and an Anglo-French assault team (over then-Staff Sgt. Wintergreen's vocal objections) on a mission into Cairo, the details and objective of which are not explained, but which Wintergreen characterizes as both pointless and suicidal. Against all odds, the mission was a success, but Slade was wounded on their way back and stranded in the open. Defying Sampson's direct orders, Wintergreen climbed out of his trench while under fire, sprinted across the battlefield, and carried Slade to safety.

(Side note: the presence of a young, inexperienced American G.I. like Slade in the Suez conflict is more than a little bit strange, since from what I can gather there was little, if any, US military involvement in it. Wintergreen does say that they were under the command of some UN peacekeeping force, but even then, it still doesn't make much sense. But the context does suggest that Sampson is probably British.)

Sampson, according to Wintergreen, was given a minor reprimand and then promoted to General. Wintergreen ended up serving under him again years later in Vietnam, where Sampson, still carrying a grudge, concocted another suicide mission on which to send him, and that was when he was captured and tortured by Charlie and subsequently rescued by Slade as Deathstroke. (During which, by Wintergreen's account, he killed 38 armed men in less than two minutes.)

...I think that about covers it!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

CWS wrote:
A week after Joseph was born, Slade received word that Wintergreen had been captured by the Vietcong. He tried to organize a rescue mission but the military wouldn't listen to him; that leads me to think this must have been toward the end of the war.
I'm curious how you arrived at that conclusion.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

The Phiend wrote:
CWS wrote:
A week after Joseph was born, Slade received word that Wintergreen had been captured by the Vietcong. He tried to organize a rescue mission but the military wouldn't listen to him; that leads me to think this must have been toward the end of the war.
I'm curious how you arrived at that conclusion.
The implication, at least to my mind, was that the Pentagon was reluctant/unwilling to devote any additional resources even to something as clear-cut as a rescue mission. Knowing how American involvement in the region came to an end, such a scenario seems most likely in the waning days of the war, by which point Washington had settled into a "GTFO at any cost" mentality.

The Vietnam War was not lost in Vietnam, it was lost in Washington, D.C.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:28 am 

Thank you so much Corey! This is really helpful! :rbg: Though why Slade, an American soldier, would be in Suez when the US was adamantly opposed to intervention, makes little sense. And while this answers many questions, it also leaves me with more questions.

Seems a straightforward enough story, with plenty of room for the imagination to fill in more detail. Though I'm wanting to create a more recent continuity, as Slade's children would be around their mid-forties or so if I stuck to the original timeframe (a little too old to be teens). :shock: I originally set Slade in the Iran-Iraq war in the Eighties with Grant being a baby at the time as a result, though I am rethinking this, even though it might still work.

I'm thinking of having Wintergreen captured by African mercenaries in the rainforest as a replacement for the original capture in Vietnam. Back then (and even now) there was plenty of conflict in Africa, and both sides were equally brutal to one another. I could even reimagine the whole training regime Adeline set up for desert warfare rather than jungle warfare, as this would make more sense as America has shifted its focus from tropical SE Asia to the arid Middle East. I can just as easily imagine Slade and Wintergreen being part of a special operations unit due to their expertise and experience.

Sampson will need a lot more fleshing out, as will Walsh. I can't believe that such a small and petty training spat would lead to Walsh and Slade being at one another's throats. There has to be more to it.

Slade also states that his family is "gone." He never elaborated? Well, well, his past beyond enlisting is very murky indeed...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:41 am 
Site Admin

Sorry for taking so long to reply to this (again)...I guess I kind of spaced it out. :oops:

snowman1989 wrote:
Thank you so much Corey! This is really helpful! :rbg: Though why Slade, an American soldier, would be in Suez when the US was adamantly opposed to intervention, makes little sense.
No, it really doesn't. :|

Quote:
Seems a straightforward enough story, with plenty of room for the imagination to fill in more detail. Though I'm wanting to create a more recent continuity, as Slade's children would be around their mid-forties or so if I stuck to the original timeframe (a little too old to be teens). :shock:
Yeah, no kidding! :lol:

Quote:
I originally set Slade in the Iran-Iraq war in the Eighties with Grant being a baby at the time as a result, though I am rethinking this, even though it might still work.
It might, although putting him in Desert Shield/Desert Storm/Gulf War I, which was in '91, could also work. In fact that could also give you an interesting way to introduce the "super soldier serum" under the guise of an experimental countermeasure to protect against Iraqi chemical weapons, which were of major concern in that operation. If you went that route, you could have Grant be a baby and Joey not yet conceived, which would also fit if we assume the TT series takes place in a present or very recent timeline.

Quote:
I'm thinking of having Wintergreen captured by African mercenaries in the rainforest as a replacement for the original capture in Vietnam. Back then (and even now) there was plenty of conflict in Africa, and both sides were equally brutal to one another. I could even reimagine the whole training regime Adeline set up for desert warfare rather than jungle warfare, as this would make more sense as America has shifted its focus from tropical SE Asia to the arid Middle East. I can just as easily imagine Slade and Wintergreen being part of a special operations unit due to their expertise and experience.
All good points. There was also the Bosnian war in the mid-'90s; what with the UN's heavy involvement in that, it could also be a "convenient" thing for Wintergreen to have gotten caught up in, necessitating Deathstroke's debut. There was no shortage of brutality in that particular conflict, either.

Quote:
Sampson will need a lot more fleshing out, as will Walsh. I can't believe that such a small and petty training spat would lead to Walsh and Slade being at one another's throats. There has to be more to it.
Yeah, I agree...what I described was the extent to which it was dealt with in Slade's original origin story, in the comics' Judas Contract storyline. Given Walsh's later role as the second Ravager, I suspect it probably was fleshed out more later on; however, what I recounted is all I've got. :(

Quote:
Slade also states that his family is "gone." He never elaborated?
Nope, that's all he said. If Addie questioned him further about it, it wasn't depicted in the comics.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:39 pm 

I've been keeping an eye on things in the DCU for a little while now, particularly on Deathstroke and the Teen Titans. Can't say I'm impressed with what's come out these last few years. But the reason I'm posting this isn't to wangst about how DC has trashed perfectly good fictional characters with mediocre/terrible writers and worse editing.

I'm talking about this:

Um, I think they're dead, Slade.

I don't know about this. I'm glad the new writer is taking Slade seriously and trying to show how nasty this guy is and why he's the greatest mercenary assassin, but removing his family from the equation? And I personally think the new suit is slightly overkill and derivative of Batman. It's like DC decided that the 90's weren't dark, gritty and depressing enough, and decided to add some extra gravel, kill more lights and make it all that much more nihilistic. The comparisons with Wolverine aren't doing me favours either.

But man, does this guy look like he was born to kill. :shock: