Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Encouragement Thread (formerly "Words of Encouragement")
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:13 pm 
Contributing Staff

Writing can be troublesome; often, the path of the writer feels like the most difficult, yet rewarding, of any I could have set upon in life. Every little bit of encouragement, and especially from people who truly understand what it is to write, and write well, helps. I started this thread to share the words of E. B. White, who did much to define the rules of style and grammar as they exist in English today. My writing partner and close friend, Mandy, sent me this extract the other day, for no reason other than she thought it worth sharing. As do I. If you find anything both similarly engaging and relevant, don't hesitate to post it here. I'm also of a mind to post my university notes on Stylistics, Poetics, and Corporate Writing and Editing, perhaps Persuasive Writing too if I can find them. Regardless, I give you E. B. White:

E. B. White wrote:
The thought of writing hangs over our mind like an ugly cloud, making us apprehensive and depressed, as before a summer storm, so that we begin the day by subsiding after breakfast, or by going away, often to seedy and inconclusive destinations: the nearest zoo, or a branch post office to buy a few stamped envelopes. Our professional life has been a long shameless exercise in avoidance. Our home is designed for the maximum of interruption, our office is the place where we near are . . . . Yet the record is there. Not even lying down and closing the blinds stops us from writing; not even our family, and our preoccupation with same, stops us.

Last edited by Loki Kola on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Words of Encouragement
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:22 pm 
Site Admin

Great post. I'm sure all of us could stand to take this to heart.

Post subject: Re: The Encouragement Thread (formerly "Words of Encouragement")
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:34 pm 
Contributing Staff

Confidence and productivity as a writer are two things I've frequently had a lot of difficulty doing. Showing initiative is -- or was, for me -- difficult. Once you've made that first move, taken that first step, it's a lot easier to maintain it, as E. B. White's words suggest.

So, in that vein, I've decided to write 50 000 words for NaNoWriMo -- national novel writing month -- this November. I've already written OVER that count for October; having a network of others provided via the NaNoWriMo site and forums makes it even easier. This is an excellent exercise in self-motivation, because there is no prize for reaching your 50 000 word goal. That goal is itself the reward. There's no fear of plagiarism, as all you need provide of your story is the word count, a summary, and brief extract, if you wish. Even if you don't sign up this year, I say the year after, or the year after that. I plan to participate every year the event runs, now that I've become involved.

Here's my novel profile for Phoenix -- I changed the name as the story evolved -- if you're at all interested.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:09 am 
Site Admin

Loki Kola wrote:
Confidence and productivity as a writer are two things I've frequently had a lot of difficulty doing. Showing initiative is -- or was, for me -- difficult. Once you've made that first move, taken that first step, it's a lot easier to maintain it, as E. B. White's words suggest.

So, in that vein, I've decided to write 50 000 words for NaNoWriMo -- national novel writing month -- this November. I've already written OVER that count for October; having a network of others provided via the NaNoWriMo site and forums makes it even easier. This is an excellent exercise in self-motivation, because there is no prize for reaching your 50 000 word goal. That goal is itself the reward. There's no fear of plagiarism, as all you need provide of your story is the word count, a summary, and brief extract, if you wish. Even if you don't sign up this year, I say the year after, or the year after that. I plan to participate every year the event runs, now that I've become involved.

Here's my novel profile for Phoenix -- I changed the name as the story evolved -- if you're at all interested.
Great idea, I congratulate you in advance! :rbg:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:19 am 
Contributing Staff

Thanks.

Only hard part will be IGNORING Assassin's Creed 3, Halo 4, and Black Ops 2 for the whole month of November. That and Mass Effect 3.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:27 am 
Site Admin

Loki Kola wrote:
Thanks.

Only hard part will be IGNORING Assassin's Creed 3, Halo 4, and Black Ops 2 for the whole month of November. That and Mass Effect 3.
How thoroughly I can relate. :(

Except for Black Ops 2. :P

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:52 am 
Contributing Staff

Multiplayer on that's been stripped back and overhauled with a new token system for kits. So, you can swap out your secondary weapon for more grenades, if you wish, among other things. I'm looking forward to trying it out, at least.