Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So, an idea... MASS EFFECT 2 SPOILER ALERT
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:56 am 
Contributing Staff

Mass Effect 2 spoilers ahoy! Don't read this post unless you've either played the game to completion or don't give a shit. Also some Mass Effect spoilers, but if you've played the second and not the first, then... shame on you. :lol:

I haven't written fanfiction for several years now; however, after watching my sister play through Mass Effect, I'm thinking of starting again.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I'm thinking of writing a piece based on my own Mass Effect playthrough, after the suicide mission. All squad members survived, and so did the entire crew of the SSV Normandy SR2. Paragon playthrough, original citadel council still alive. Tali as romance interest, Legion recovered and activated.

Now, for the spoilers. Or, more obvious ones. Over the course of Mass Effect 2, you discover that Thane Krios is slowly dying. Basically, this story's going to focus on Thane's death, and more specifically upon his funeral. Planning to see just how greatly his influence affects the various crew members, and also about doing some character development.

My plan is to have Thane's casket placed on Ilos next to Vigil's deactivated terminal, with EDI noting that this choice is appropriate: "Both have killed many others; a fate they each were bound to." Joker will attend, with EDI taking full control of the Normandy's systems while he's on the ground. Possible small altercation, with hims getting a little worked up after someone (I'm thinking Samara or Chambers) asking if he's okay standing for so long. Zaeed intervenes, saying "He's got a skeleton made from test tubes and he helped kick the Collector's arses off the Normandy. Yeah, I think he'll be fine."

Tali feels somewhat vulnerable with her mortality given Thane's death, wondering if she's really "all that safe" removing her suit to be with Shepard. Doctor Chakwas tells her that she isn't dead yet, and that this low-level exposure is bolstering her immune systems. Legion wonders what it is like to truly appreciate the loss of a mobile platform; he understands organics have an affinity for such things, but the notion itself confuses him.

So, what do you guys think? I'll have more to add as a I go, but this is the basis.

Post subject: Re: So, an idea... MASS EFFECT 2 SPOILER ALERT
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds very interesting!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:21 pm 
Site Admin

Quit talking about writing it; Write it :P

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:00 am 
Contributing Staff

Well, I will get around to it... :lol:

Just, university has flared up again. :o

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:44 am 
Site Admin

Loki Kola wrote:
Well, I will get around to it... :lol:

Just, university has flared up again. :o

Oh, so that's your code word for Reach, is it? :P

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:40 am 
Contributing Staff

SHUT UP. :P

More accurately, I need help.

EDIT: Oh, yes, I also just moved out, and I'm still transporting furniture as the like.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:16 pm 
Site Admin

Help, you say? Well I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but I'll weigh in anyway. :lol:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Seems like you're building on an overall theme of mortality, which I think could be very promising. Both Samara and Legion could have particularly interesting perspectives on the subject, for different reasons.

Quote:
My plan is to have Thane's casket placed on Ilos next to Vigil's deactivated terminal, with EDI noting that this choice is appropriate: "Both have killed many others; a fate they each were bound to." Joker will attend, with EDI taking full control of the Normandy's systems while he's on the ground. Possible small altercation, with hims getting a little worked up after someone (I'm thinking Samara or Chambers) asking if he's okay standing for so long. Zaeed intervenes, saying "He's got a skeleton made from test tubes and he helped kick the Collector's arses off the Normandy. Yeah, I think he'll be fine."
I think Kasumi might be a better choice than Samara to inquire after Joker's comfort level, as out of the recruit-able squad members she's frankly about the only one who really seems interested in the affairs of others. Either her or Kelly, like you said. That's about the only suggestion I can think of so far.

Who survived Virmire, Ashley or Kaidan?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:34 pm 
Contributing Staff

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I thought I told you I left Ashley behind, already.

And I meant help as in, like, "My name is Loki and I'm addicted to firefight credit farming." :lol:

Thanks for weighing in though - that's why I said I need to do another playthrough. My first run of ME2 was with no DLC.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:33 am 
Site Admin

Loki Kola wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I thought I told you I left Ashley behind, already.
I didn't know if you were basing this directly on your own game.
Quote:
And I meant help as in, like, "My name is Loki and I'm addicted to firefight credit farming." :lol:
Firefight in Reach is pretty much the most entertaining thing in the history of video games, especially with all the insane customization you can do. We'll have to put in some games sometime. Although you can't get more than 50 credits per match, can you...? That's kind of annoying.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:24 am 
Contributing Staff

No, you can't earn more than 50 credits per game if you go into firefight customs.

However, you can go into matchmaking, select firefight, and then select 'Score Attack'. This is a Firefight mode that allows you to play alone, without attempting to match you with other people. The enemies are always at heroic difficulty, and the catch skull is always on. It can be difficult, sometimes.

However, playing Gruntpocalypse mode generally allows you to earn 1000 or more credits per game, which is essentially five minutes of your time. The whole mode consists of killing Grunts before they get close enough to stick you; so if you're pretty good at getting DMR headshots like I am, then it's easy. So, 1000 credits per game, and your commendations tend to upgrade themselves very quickly, too.

I've ended some games with 7000 or 8000 credits just because of the buildup of commendation points.

EDIT:

As for Mass Effect, yeah. I'll base it on my story, BECAUSE MY SHEPARD IS THE BEST. :lol: So, you'll probably see this by, like, Christmas. Consider it my gift to you. :|

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:34 am 
Site Admin

Some additional character info you should probably be aware of...most, if not all, of this was gleaned from the Lair of the Shadow Broker expansion.

• Miranda was trying to get pregnant, but found out that she's unable to due to a side effect of her genetic modification.
  • Both Kirrahe and Rentola were also part of the STG team Mordin was on, which distributed the modified genophage on Tuchanka. Kirrahe led the operation, which was code-named "Project Firebreak".
  • As for Mordin himself, among the classified publications he authored for STG were "threat analysis" reports on turians, humans, asari and batarians.
  • Garrus has a sister named Solana. Their mother is suffering from a disease called Corpalis Syndrome, a condition which sounds more or less like the turian equivalent of Alzheimer's, for which there is no cure and limited treatment options. During the Normandy SR2's current mission, Garrus and Mordin have (perhaps secretly) sent Collector tissue and technology samples to Helos Medical Institute, a salarian research group which is working on new treatments for Corpalis. Mordin also contacted STG to upgrade Helos' "corporate clearance", most likely granting them special permission to do Collector-related research.
  • It's somewhat interesting that Garrus would have confided in Mordin, who he only met recently, about his mother's condition, but not in Shepard.
  • Jack's full name may possibly be Jaqueline Nought (she posted a submission to Galactic Poetry Monthly under that name), but it's also possible likely that it's simply an alias. She was actually from Eden Prime originally, where she was kidnapped from a hospital twenty years ago by Cerberus operatives who also faked her death.
  • Grunt has been reading Hemingway. :lol:
  • Prior to becoming a Justicar, Samara was married (presumably to another asari).
  • Morinth's given name was originally Mirata.
  • Tali has repeatedly installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled a suit application called Nerve-Stim Pro. :lol:
  • Legion plays the MMO game "Galaxy of Fantasy", in which their character is a level 612 Ardat-Yakshi Necromancer named...John Smith. :lol: They also boast similarly obscene stats and scores in several other extranet games.
  • Zaeed was seriously considering going into retirement after the Collector mission and using the money Cerberus is paying him to buy some lavish property somewhere, possibly on Bekenstein.
  • Kasumi totally has the hots for Jacob. :P She also sold the Mona Lisa to the Blue Suns.
  • Anderson has a son named Jason, who is an Aerospace Engineer back on Earth. His ex-wife seems to have remarried but still maintains contact with him (Anderson).
  • Here's one I'm embarrassed not to have picked up on sooner. Matriarch Aethyta -- the hilarious bartender of Eternity, on Ilium -- is probably Liara's "father". :shock:

Last edited by CWS on Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saw something that needed to be corrected.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

Loki Kola wrote:
So, you'll probably see this by, like, Christmas. Consider it my gift to you. :|

So...what happened with this? o_o

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:21 am 
Contributing Staff

Sidetracked. :cry:

Will start working on it soon; but there's a lot of real-world stuff I need to deal with, too.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:23 am 
Site Admin

Loki Kola wrote:
Sidetracked. :cry:

Will start working on it soon; but there's a lot of real-world stuff I need to deal with, too.

Sadly I know too well how that is. Just thought I'd remind you! :D