Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Convergence
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:35 pm 
Site Admin

It was inevitable. So much so that I'm frankly surprised I haven't seen the concept before now, at least that I can recall offhand.

Yes...beautifully, gloriously inevitable.

I would like to thank whoever drew this for reminding me of what is truly important in life.

Post subject: Re: Convergence
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:42 pm 

I approve this thread. :rbg:

...At the risk of sounding like an ignorant caveman, what's with the suits? :?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:14 am 
Contributing Staff

That.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:23 am 

...No, still don't see it. What is it? Just give me a name here. :?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:09 am 
Contributing Staff

Have two:

Asuka Langley Soryu and Ayanami Rei. Or, in this case, Asuka Langley Starfire and Ayanami Raven, or something.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:36 am 

Loki Kola wrote:
Asuka Langley Soryu and Ayanami Rei. Or, in this case, Asuka Langley Starfire and Ayanami Raven, or something.

Hmmmmm.....(Looks up Wikipedia)

Sooo... Neon... Genesis Evangelion? I've never heard of that show in my life. :| Some obscure Japanese anime? Don't judge me here, I'm from a tinpot country in the middle of nowhere with limited consumer options. Believe me, the fact I've been able to get most of your pop culture references up until now is a small miracle considering.

Also, the Chief helps you upload? Wouldn't Cortana be better for th- oh, right. :(

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:05 am 
Contributing Staff

It's a reference to my upload speed of 1.17. 117. Heh.

Evangelion is anything but obscure, btw: as many people know about it as Ghost in the Shell, AFAIK.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry for the confusion...Evangelion is my favorite anime of all time. I used to have a site devoted to it, years ago...in fact, I should probably put that back up now that I have my own domain, shouldn't I?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:59 pm 
Global Moderator

Yeah, it's hugely popular worldwide. Where do you live?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:18 pm 
Contributing Staff

New Zealand, which is, it seems, far more primeval than I ever knew. =P

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:34 pm 

Loki Kola wrote:
Evangelion is anything but obscure, btw: as many people know about it as Ghost in the Shell, AFAIK.

I'm lucky in that I have a copy of Ghost in the Shell, though I don't think I've ever gotten all the references and symbolism in it. So I do know that one, whereas I doubt most over here do.

Zanth wrote:
Where do you live?

I thought I'd made that clear since Day One on this site. :lol: Auckland, New Zealand. My country's equivalent to New York in the USA where our ties to the rest of the world are strongest. It's where most immigrants end up and where most major foreign corporations and companies have their headquarters. Everywhere else is much more local in focus and outlook, especially in the South Island, where the population is much more homogenised. Even in Auckland, where things have changed dramatically since the 1980s, we still have fairly limited consumer choice because we're small and we have only a few big retailers to choose from compared to bigger nations like Australia, which means little incentive for competition and diversification.

Loki Kola wrote:
New Zealand, which is, it seems, far more primeval than I ever knew. =P

*sigh* Yeah yeah, congrats in reaffirming your superiority over a country much smaller than yours. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:10 am 
Global Moderator

That's strange considering Madman Entertainment has released so much anime in Australia, including Eva. I had thought you were were from there, but I had thought that the Madman thing would make stuff available in NZ as well, not just Australia, thus I second guessed myself. Apologies.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:45 am 
Contributing Staff

snowman1989 wrote:
*sigh* Yeah yeah, congrats in reaffirming your superiority over a country much smaller than yours. :roll:

Hey, I first saw Evangelion when I was 8 in 1998. Madman owns the rights to Eva in Australia and New Zealand, and it was founded in 1996: I'd say that's more like superiority over a country that's at least 15 years behind my own. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:46 am 

Zanth wrote:
That's strange considering Madman Entertainment has released so much anime in Australia, including Eva. I had thought you were were from there, but I had thought that the Madman thing would make stuff available in NZ as well, not just Australia, thus I second guessed myself. Apologies.

Loki Kola wrote:
Hey, I first saw Evangelion when I was 8 in 1998. Madman owns the rights to Eva in Australia and New Zealand, and it was founded in 1996: I'd say that's more like superiority over a country that's at least 15 years behind my own. :lol:

Okay, three things. First: The hell is Madman? :| Second: Really Zanth? You thought I was an Aussie despite the fact my profile picture has stated from Day One that I'm a Kiwi? :lol: And Third: We've had some anime over here. Pokemon, Dragonball Z and Yu-Gi-Oh! being the ones I can name off the top of my head, plus a few others. But again, we don't have the variety that Australia or the USA has. Sounds like companies like this Mad you've mentioned have been skimping on us, maybe because, as I've said before, we're a small country with a small population and thus a small market compared to our much larger neighbour. Hell, the idea of having more than just the two state-owned (and one Canadian owned) TV channels is a relatively new concept here dating to the mid-1990s. Even today things like owning subscriptions to those diverse (if repetitive) Sky channels is a novelty to most of us; we mainly still stick to the two state owned (and four Canadian owned) TV channels. There's a rumour that each region of New Zealand (eg. Auckland, Canterbury) has their own TV channel, but that's just urban legend. :lol: Nobody watches those. Why would you even need so many channels to begin with, especially because until recent years most of us did a lot of outdoors activities instead?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:02 am 
Contributing Staff

Madman Entertainment.

Christ, and my parents complain about not having Hulu and Netflix here... do you also use your feet to propel cars and order dino steaks instead of McDonalds? :P Then again, we've got maybe eight free to air channels over here, only two of which are really worth a damn. And, one of those is local-only and once featured a tv show about using a chainsaw to travel through time. Like some horrific bogan version of the Subtle Knife. I remember the protagonist used it to force Captain Cook into surrender and brought Britain to its knees as part of the great Australian empire, in the five minutes of it I could bear before changing the channel. :lol:

Damn, I just can't get my head around not having ever even heard of Evangelion prior to yesterday. Yeesh. Without Evangelion and CWS to argue speak about it with, I might never have started writing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

Well, to be fair, I still have people ask me to identify my EVA t-shirts when I go out in public...more than I did a decade ago, in fact. It's not as well-recognized as it used to be, even over here, though it's obviously still enormously popular in Japan. Particularly with the recent Rebuild movies ( :( ).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:59 am 
Global Moderator

snowman1989 wrote:
Okay, three things. First: The hell is Madman? :| Second: Really Zanth? You thought I was an Aussie despite the fact my profile picture has stated from Day One that I'm a Kiwi? :lol: And Third: We've had some anime over here. Pokemon, Dragonball Z and Yu-Gi-Oh! being the ones I can name off the top of my head, plus a few others. But again, we don't have the variety that Australia or the USA has. Sounds like companies like this Mad you've mentioned have been skimping on us, maybe because, as I've said before, we're a small country with a small population and thus a small market compared to our much larger neighbour. Hell, the idea of having more than just the two state-owned (and one Canadian owned) TV channels is a relatively new concept here dating to the mid-1990s. Even today things like owning subscriptions to those diverse (if repetitive) Sky channels is a novelty to most of us; we mainly still stick to the two state owned (and four Canadian owned) TV channels. There's a rumour that each region of New Zealand (eg. Auckland, Canterbury) has their own TV channel, but that's just urban legend. :lol: Nobody watches those. Why would you even need so many channels to begin with, especially because until recent years most of us did a lot of outdoors activities instead?

Alright... 1) I find it weird I know more about an anime company that doesn't exist in my own country than someone who lives in one it does. 2) I did not think you were an Aussie, I had *thought* you were from NZ, but being as you didn't know anything about Eva, despite it having a known presence in Australia, which is just across a straight, I thought I may have remembered incorrectly. 3) Loki said Madman Entertainment releases in Australia as well, so.... I guess that's that, lol. No worries tho, just thought I'd answer your questions. Also, I guess I don't know how into anime you are to begin with, so that makes a big difference too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:55 am 

Loki Kola wrote:
Christ, and my parents complain about not having Hulu and Netflix here... do you also use your feet to propel cars and order dino steaks instead of McDonalds? :P

Really? I thought Aussies were supposed to be hardasses. :P

Wait... you had a show about an Aussie redneck who could travel through time with a chainsaw? :lol: This I need to see. :twisted:

In the meantime, I'll see if I can track down Evangelion in Civic Video or some place when I have time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:53 am 
Site Admin

snowman1989 wrote:
In the meantime, I'll see if I can track down Evangelion in Civic Video or some place when I have time.
Must...control...exposition reflex... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:01 pm 
Site Admin

To be fair, I only heard about Evangelion in a couple of loose references until like 2008, when CWS' cultist zealotry unbridled enthusiasm explained a lot to me. And even then, I didn't actually see the anime until he mailed me the series on DVD two years later. o_o