Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Convergence
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:02 am 
Contributing Staff

Civic Video? Sounds like if I mailed my Evangelion DVDs to Snowman tomorrow they'd probably still take two years to arrive. =P

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:12 am 

Well, seems none of the video stores have any Evangelion DVDs for sale or hire outside of JB Hi-Fi, which wasn't suprising. Since I have no money though, I'm having to once again find certain Internet sites to get some episodes. Making things tougher are the fact that these episodes don't have the Japanese text translated (though the voices are translated), so I'm constantly having to search for references throughout the episodes.

However, I have (somehow) managed to see three episodes of Neon Genesis. Now, I've since learned that the mind behind this series himself was suffering through a major depressive episode while writing this, but damn. :? I guess the opening credits are all jazzy J-pop just to ensure people don't cut themselves before the episode really starts hammering out the bleak reality of the Evangelion universe.

Just... let me get this straight: A shadowy paramilitary organisation, in the wake of a semi-apocalyptic alien invasion of giant (robotic?) monsters, comes up with the most sophisticated robot ever devised to fight said giant mass murdering monsters, but chooses to coerce a 14 year old kid (the director's son, of all people) with no prior experience, no training, suffering from a severe depressive episode, vehement social alienation and who knows how many other psychological disorders, to pilot the EVA, and protect the lives of countless millions of people, of whom most that he knows (almost everyone in NERV, including his dad) are being colossal jackasses to him?

See Corey? I can do it too!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:18 am 
Site Admin

snowman1989 wrote:
Well, seems none of the video stores have any Evangelion DVDs for sale or hire outside of JB Hi-Fi, which wasn't suprising. Since I have no money though, I'm having to once again find certain Internet sites to get some episodes. Making things tougher are the fact that these episodes don't have the Japanese text translated (though the voices are translated), so I'm constantly having to search for references throughout the episodes.

However, I have (somehow) managed to see three episodes of Neon Genesis. Now, I've since learned that the mind behind this series himself was suffering through a major depressive episode while writing this, but damn. :? I guess the opening credits are all jazzy J-pop just to ensure people don't cut themselves before the episode really starts hammering out the bleak reality of the Evangelion universe.

Just... let me get this straight: A shadowy paramilitary organisation, in the wake of a semi-apocalyptic alien invasion of giant (robotic?) monsters, comes up with the most sophisticated robot ever devised to fight said giant mass murdering monsters, but chooses to coerce a 14 year old kid (the director's son, of all people) with no prior experience, no training, suffering from a severe depressive episode, vehement social alienation and who knows how many other psychological disorders, to pilot the EVA, and protect the lives of countless millions of people, of whom most that he knows (almost everyone in NERV, including his dad) are being colossal jackasses to him?
Evangelion is by a very wide margin, THE deepest and most personally meaningful TV series I have ever seen. Period. A large part of the reason for this is, as you've noticed, because writer/director Hideaki Anno was literally struggling to find a reason to live at the time, and the entire series very deliberately reflected that. That is to say that nearly everything in it has multiple levels of metaphorical and symbolic meaning. It is intended to challenge its audience to think, and in ways that are often extremely uncomfortable.

As for the in-universe storyline, I will offer a couple of notes to hopefully minimize confusion, or at least make sure you're only confused about the "right" things. :P

• The series originally aired in 1995-1996. As you've surely noticed, the "current" date in the show's timeline is 2015. In 2000, an event called the Second Impact shifted the Earth's axis, completely melted the southern polar ice cap (sorry), caused global flooding and ultimately wiped out nearly half of all life on the planet.
  • As you probably also gathered from Ikari's and Fuyutsuki's comments during the first episode, the Angels were in some way involved in the Second Impact, but this fact is not public knowledge.
  • As for the Angels, I'm not going to give anything away but I will say that they are not necessarily aliens.
  • Despite their external appearance, the EVAs are actually not robots, nor are they even machines at all. And there is a very specific reason why Shinji, and only Shinji, is able to pilot EVA-01.

In addition, here is the director's own written introduction to the series.
Anno Hideaki wrote:
The year: 2015.

A world where, fifteen years before, over half the human population perished.

A world that has been miraculously revived; its economy, the production, circulation, consumption of material goods, so that even the shelves of convenience stores are filled.

A world where the people have gotten used to the resurrection -- yet still feel the end of the world is destined to come.

A world where the number of children, the future leaders of the world, is few.

A world where Japan saw the original Tokyo destroyed, discarded and forgotten, and built a new capital in Nagano Prefecture. They constructed a new capital, Tokyo-2, then left it to be a decoy -- then constructed another new capital, Tokyo-3, and tried to make it safe from attack.

A world where some completely unknown enemy called the "Angels" comes to ravage the cities.

This is roughly the worldview for Neon Genesis Evangelion.

This is a worldview drenched in a vision of pessimism.

A worldview where the story starts only after any traces of optimism have been removed.

And in that world, a 14-year-old boy shrinks from human contact.

And he tries to live in a closed world where his behavior dooms him, and he has abandoned the attempt to understand himself.

A cowardly young man who feels that his father has abandoned him, and so he has convinced himself that he is a completely unnecessary person, so much so that he cannot even commit suicide.

And there is a 29-year-old woman who lives life so lightly as to barely allow the possibility of a human touch.

She protects herself by having only surface level relationships, and running away.

Both are extremely afraid of being hurt.

Both are unsuitable -- lacking the positive attitude -- for what people call heroes of an adventure.

But in any case, they are the heroes of this story.

They say, "To live is to change."

I started this production with the wish that once the production was complete, the world, and the heroes, would change.

That was my "true" desire.

I tried to include everything of myself in Neon Genesis Evangelion -- myself, a broken man who could do nothing for four years.

A man who ran away for four years, one who was simply not dead.

Then one thought:

"You can't run away,"

came to me, and I restarted this production.

It is a production where my only thought was to burn my feelings into film.

I know my behavior was thoughtless, troublesome, and arrogant.

But I tried.

I don't know what the result will be.

That is because within me, the story is not yet finished.

I don't know what will happen to Shinji, Misato, or Rei. I don't know where life will take them.

Because I don't know where life is taking the staff of the production.

I feel that I am being irresponsible.

But... But it's only natural that we should synchronize ourselves with the world within the production.

I've taken on a risk:

"It's just an imitation."

And for now I can only write this explanation.

But perhaps our "original" lies somewhere within there.

July 17, 1995
In the studio, a cloudy, rainy day.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:47 am 

CWS wrote:
Evangelion is by a very wide margin, THE deepest and most personally meaningful TV series I have ever seen. Period. A large part of the reason for this is, as you've noticed, because writer/director Hideaki Anno was literally struggling to find a reason to live at the time, and the entire series very deliberately reflected that. That is to say that nearly everything in it has multiple levels of metaphorical and symbolic meaning. It is intended to challenge its audience to think, and in ways that are often extremely uncomfortable.

I noticed the symbolism and themes, not fully, but I knew they were there. I've seen the first three episodes, so I don't think I'm in the really thought-provoking parts yet. I kind of get that depressive feeling too, because I myself have been struggling through depression for a number of years, and dealing with autism and social isolation on top of that from a very young age. So I understand Shinji's situation - and how life has unfairly dealt him a rotten hand of cards.

I'm not that confused about the plot. It's just that I question any agency who thinks letting a psychologically disturbed kid pilot that mecha-thing, and then treat him like an asset instead of as a person and think there will be no negative consequences to them or anyone else from this, is going to find itself butt-hurt sooner or later. It's not smart at all. It's breathtakingly stupid and reckless on so many levels, even if Shinji's the only one who can pilot the thing. Soo, is that deliberate on the author's part? Just to illustrate just how hopeless things appear to be?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:52 am 
Contributing Staff

Watch the series through and all will become clear, is all I can say, except that there is no alternative whatsoever. Either Shinji pilots the Eva or humanity is exterminated by the Angels.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:45 am 
Site Admin

snowman1989 wrote:
CWS wrote:
I'm not that confused about the plot. It's just that I question any agency who thinks letting a psychologically disturbed kid pilot that mecha-thing, and then treat him like an asset instead of as a person and think there will be no negative consequences to them or anyone else from this, is going to find itself butt-hurt sooner or later. It's not smart at all. It's breathtakingly stupid and reckless on so many levels, even if Shinji's the only one who can pilot the thing. Soo, is that deliberate on the author's part? Just to illustrate just how hopeless things appear to be?
It's like Loki said, there's really no other choice. EVA-01 literally will not work for anyone else. As Misato and Ritsuko mentioned in episode 1, it never has before, and the idea that it would work for Shinji was actually a huge (but calculated) gamble on his father's part -- something that was reflected by his expression when EVA-01 acted independently to shield Shinji from the falling debris.

As I said, there's a very specific reason for this which will be revealed eventually (in episode 20, to be precise). I won't say anything else for now except that it is horrifying almost beyond belief.

On a related note, you're also correct to observe that NERV is a breathtakingly immoral and reckless organization whose actions often seem to contradict their official purpose. None of which is accidental.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:43 pm 

Well, just finished watching the original series and the canon film ending. Well... I'm not entirely sure what the hell I just watched. I can see what the hype was about now.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Sooo... this whole thing was about intentionally bringing about the Apocalypse so that Humanity could overcome the inherent weaknesses in its psyche, and reach the next stage of existence? And in the end, it all hinges on a mentally disturbed kid whose mind finally breaks once the chips are down?

I distinctly remember saying this about NERV prior to watching or researching the series after episode 3:

snowman1989 wrote:
I question any agency who thinks letting a psychologically disturbed kid pilot that mecha-thing, and then treat him like an asset instead of as a person and think there will be no negative consequences to them or anyone else from this, is going to find itself butt-hurt sooner or later.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
I so fucking called it! I can't believe it! Well, in real life, such an outcome wouldn't really be in doubt... it's just with regular animation in the West, you'd expect everything to work out just fine (bittersweet at worst) in the end. Had I watched this before becoming more familiar with more mature anime beforehand, I would have been completely shell-shocked.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:40 am 
Contributing Staff

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Well, the point of End of Evangelion is that anyone can come back, if they want to, the way they were before Third Impact. Or, at least that's how I always saw it. Thing is, that makes me wonder whether or not the Rebuild series is what happens after everyone comes back after the first third impact. That's a wild theory -- and I realise I've mentioned it before -- just based on taking what Kaworu says in the teaser way too literally. I'm really interested in the fourth film that wraps it all up.

The thing about the ending, though, is that neither SEELE nor NERV ever intended that Shinji would control Third Impact. Gendo wanted to control it through Rei to be reunited with Yui, and SEELE are the ones who wanted, specifically, for humanity to ascend as part of their design. Yui -- Evangelion Unit 01 -- meanwhile, pretty much gave her son control. I think. There are some things I'm still not sure about and that's several years later. Or, ten years later, to be precise.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:23 am 

Now I know I've become a fan of the series. I've watched an abridged episode. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:06 am 
Site Admin

snowman1989 wrote:
Well, just finished watching the original series and the canon film ending. Well... I'm not entirely sure what the hell I just watched. I can see what the hype was about now.
I sincerely approve of both your viewing stamina and your powers of active observation. ;)

Now then...let's see if I can make a few points without going off on too many wild tangents. :?
[Reveal] Spoiler: Neon Genesis Evangelion
snowman1989 wrote:
Sooo... this whole thing was about intentionally bringing about the Apocalypse so that Humanity could overcome the inherent weaknesses in its psyche, and reach the next stage of existence? And in the end, it all hinges on a mentally disturbed kid whose mind finally breaks once the chips are down?
Partially. Contrary to what Ritsuko told the Children, the purpose of NERV was never to prevent the Third Impact...but to facilitate it, in a specific way, according to SEELE's plan. The Ikaris originally joined the project with the intention of trying to sabotage it somehow, somewhere along the way. But after Yui was absorbed by EVA-01, Gendo basically cracked and decided to make it happen on his terms, in the hopes of being reunited with her. If you go back and watch the series a second time, that was the significance of the "recap" in episode 14, and specifically the Committee's response to certain details, and Ikari's dismissal/denial of them. Because those events reflected the fact that he was changing the scenario.

But the thing that truly sets Evangelion apart from all other anime -- all other everything -- in my eyes, is how multidimensional it was, and the many different levels and angles from which it can be analyzed. And most importantly of all, how profoundly meaningful it was, at the core.

I'm sure you've gathered from your research that Evangelion was as controversial in Japan as it was popular, and that the original ending, that is, the final two episodes of the TV series, generated a fearsome backlash from the audience. That is an understatement. The reaction to EVA's original ending made the outcry over Mass Effect 3's ending look like a quiet, polite disagreement. The consensus among many people was -- and even still remains -- that the production crew ran into massive financial and technical problems at the end, and as a result, they ended up cheating the audience out of the ending they were "supposed" to get, opting instead to toss together a bunch of loosely animated abstractions and talking-head psychobabble.

I vehemently disagree with this conclusion. In fact, the purpose of my personal EVA site, which I put up about 15 years ago and which I'm sure has long since vanished into the digital ether, was to analyze the entire series and its characters, but particularly the original TV ending, in an effort to explain it to those who, by their own admission, didn't get it.

To summarize, the last two episodes were the point of the entire series, in a nutshell. (And you will have noticed that the finale of the End of Evangelion movie ends up in very much the same narrative place, though it takes a much more brutally negative and traumatic route to get there.) What I think a lot of people didn't understand about Evangelion was that literally everything in the entire series was a deliberate metaphor, and the entire story itself was ultimately just a means to an end. As such, the exact details of the plot, setting and backstory -- while certainly fascinating on their own merits, and worthy of discussion and analysis -- were ultimately of secondary importance to the point that Anno was trying to communicate through them. And without knowing that, I can understand why the original conclusion threw a lot of people. But what bothers me is that many of them refused to even try to understand it, and opted to just complain and spew vitriol instead.

That is why End of Evangelion was the way it was. The movie was a reaction to the fans' reaction to the original ending, and hence, why it is so drenched with animosity, bitterness and disappointment.

You will believe me when I tell you that Evangelion, as a whole, had a profound impact on my personal perspective. This anime, which I discovered at a very specific point in my life, taught me a great deal about myself, and surely had a permanent influence on my writing and creativity from that point forward.

The ultimate goal of it all was to achieve an honest, comprehensive and unflinching understanding of self. To understand why you think and feel the things that you do, and how you can choose to change them, or at least learn to live with them. Which is much more difficult than it sounds. And to do it in the midst of the bleakest and most oppressive circumstances imaginable. Because if you can...then none of the rest matters. The point of Evangelion is literally nothing short of learning to live.

I could say a lot more and probably will, but I think I'll but a break in my tirade here in case anyone else wants to get a word in. :P
As for that "abridged" episode...um...after watching the first minute or so, I think for all our sakes I'll skip the rest.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:51 am 

I'm now looking to see if I can't get a hold of the original series (and End) so I can look over them again without fear of going over my internet usage limit. Problem is, it seems it isn't available in NZ (now there's a shocker :roll: ).
[Reveal] Spoiler:
CWS wrote:
The reaction to EVA's original ending made the outcry over Mass Effect 3's ending look like a quiet, polite disagreement. The consensus among many people was -- and even still remains -- that the production crew ran into massive financial and technical problems at the end, and as a result, they ended up cheating the audience out of the ending they were "supposed" to get, opting instead to toss together a bunch of loosely animated abstractions and talking-head psychobabble.

I'd say Anno was overly ambitious here and a little ahead of his time, trying something so experimental and outside the box. Then again, I'm of the opinion that this series was ultimately all about him. Anno penned Evangelion to find purpose in life, to satisfy that desire, and maybe he expected his fans to understand that. So I could understand the anger he felt when the original ending was panned so badly; many of his fans clearly didn't understand him, and didn't want to. They just wanted to see a cool mecha cartoon, or saw the series as something that was relevant to them and their feelings, taking for granted the universal psychological themes of the series. So he made End of Evangelion (which was spectacularly done) and, as you've put it, made it as bleak and nihilistic as possible to spite them, in a way. It's all bitterly ironic, as failure of understanding others - and how that failure could hurt people - was a central theme of the series.

CWS wrote:
As for that "abridged" episode...um...after watching the first minute or so, I think for all our sakes I'll skip the rest.

Oh come on. It's not that bad. I mean, I just finished an Evangelion marathon which has taken one hell of a toll on my sleep patterns. And it's not meant to be taken seriously; after all, it's just a parody. It's not attacking the series in any malicious way.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:03 am 
Site Admin

[Reveal] Spoiler:
snowman1989 wrote:
CWS wrote:
The reaction to EVA's original ending made the outcry over Mass Effect 3's ending look like a quiet, polite disagreement. The consensus among many people was -- and even still remains -- that the production crew ran into massive financial and technical problems at the end, and as a result, they ended up cheating the audience out of the ending they were "supposed" to get, opting instead to toss together a bunch of loosely animated abstractions and talking-head psychobabble.
I'd say Anno was overly ambitious here and a little ahead of his time, trying something so experimental and outside the box. Then again, I'm of the opinion that this series was ultimately all about him.
You're absolutely correct; it was. I think the last two episodes in particular made that abundantly clear. But I also think that it was done with such sincerity and on such a fundamental level that many, many other people could also personally relate to it. I obviously can, and I know many others who can, too. Because understanding yourself is the key to understanding others.

snowman1989 wrote:
CWS wrote:
Oh come on. It's not that bad. I mean, I just finished an Evangelion marathon which has taken one hell of a toll on my sleep patterns. And it's not meant to be taken seriously; after all, it's just a parody. It's not attacking the series in any malicious way.
I know it's a parody, and I didn't actually mean what I said as necessarily a knock against it. It's just that EVA is so personal for me that I have an exceptionally, and probably somewhat unhealthily, low tolerance for anything relating to it that strikes me personally as being even vaguely disrespectful. I take it far more seriously than I probably should, but I can't help it because it has such strong personal meaning for me.

So what I'm saying is, the problem is at my end, and I'm well aware of that. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:55 am 

CWS wrote:
I know it's a parody, and I didn't actually mean what I said as necessarily a knock against it. It's just that EVA is so personal for me that I have an exceptionally, and probably somewhat unhealthily, low tolerance for anything relating to it that strikes me personally as being even vaguely disrespectful. I take it far more seriously than I probably should, but I can't help it because it has such strong personal meaning for me.

I'm beginning to understand why. This isn't the kind of thing I say everyday: Evangelion was deeply moving in ways I never thought possible, especially towards the end. I haven't felt such strong feelings toward any movie or series since I watched Grave of the Fireflies for the first time four years ago. For that Corey, I am in your debt. :)

But I've been taught and brought up to hold nothing sacred, so to speak. The reasoning being that if you hold something sacred, then you hold it above all question and examination. For instance, I don't hold religion to be sacred. I consider it something that can be dissected, questioned, and challenged. Similarly, while I do admire Anno's work on Evangelion, I don't think it to be above question, dissection or challenge. He is, after all, a human being, and human beings and their creations are not perfect. Hell, it's arguably the whole point of Evangelion to challenge your very psyche. The parody mocks certain anime tropes in general, some of Evangelion's shortcomings in regards to plot, and has somewhat changed the characters a little (or a lot in Gendo's case :lol: ) for comedic effect. But I don't believe it slanders the series at all. The work and accurate attention to detail made by the maker is evidence that he/she is a genuine fan of the series, and a good way to educate people about a subject or item of interest is through comedy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:58 am 
Contributing Staff

Yeah, I remember you (CWS) making that exact same point about that one shot I posted on Lusitania, what, six(?) years ago. =P

Best abridged are YuGiOh abridged and Dragon Ball Z abridged. In that I can actually stand to watch them when my sister tells me I should.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:08 am 

Loki Kola wrote:
Best abridged are YuGiOh abridged and Dragon Ball Z abridged. In that I can actually stand to watch them when my sister tells me I should.

DBZ Abridged is the only abridged series I watch regularly. EvAbridged isn't as good, I admit, but it's way better than most attempts I've seen.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:25 am 
Site Admin

snowman1989 wrote:
I'm beginning to understand why. This isn't the kind of thing I say everyday: Evangelion was deeply moving in ways I never thought possible, especially towards the end. I haven't felt such strong feelings toward any movie or series since I watched Grave of the Fireflies for the first time four years ago. For that Corey, I am in your debt. :)
It is my pleasure and honor. Hell, it used to be sort of a personal mission, but at least I've managed to back off of that a bit. :lol:

And yes, Grave of the Fireflies is one of the very few other anime which I think deserves the same level of...respect, if not outright reverence.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

CWS wrote:
I sincerely approve of both your viewing stamina and your powers of active observation. ;)
I think you mean "CONGRATULATIONS!". :ugeek:

CWS wrote:
I'm sure you've gathered from your research that Evangelion was as controversial in Japan as it was popular, and that the original ending, that is, the final two episodes of the TV series, generated a fearsome backlash from the audience. That is an understatement. The reaction to EVA's original ending made the outcry over Mass Effect 3's ending look like a quiet, polite disagreement. The consensus among many people was -- and even still remains -- that the production crew ran into massive financial and technical problems at the end, and as a result, they ended up cheating the audience out of the ending they were "supposed" to get, opting instead to toss together a bunch of loosely animated abstractions and talking-head psychobabble.

I vehemently disagree with this conclusion. In fact, the purpose of my personal EVA site, which I put up about 15 years ago and which I'm sure has long since vanished into the digital ether, was to analyze the entire series and its characters, but particularly the original TV ending, in an effort to explain it to those who, by their own admission, didn't get it.

To summarize, the last two episodes were the point of the entire series, in a nutshell. (And you will have noticed that the finale of the End of Evangelion movie ends up in very much the same narrative place, though it takes a much more brutally negative and traumatic route to get there.) What I think a lot of people didn't understand about Evangelion was that literally everything in the entire series was a deliberate metaphor, and the entire story itself was ultimately just a means to an end. As such, the exact details of the plot, setting and backstory -- while certainly fascinating on their own merits, and worthy of discussion and analysis -- were ultimately of secondary importance to the point that Anno was trying to communicate through them. And without knowing that, I can understand why the original conclusion threw a lot of people.
While I haven't seen End of Evangelion, I can say that the last two episodes were marred by a lack of framing. If it'd been made clearer that we were watching Shinji's mental perspective guiding Instrumentality (and what the effects of Instrumentality were...and that it had happened between episodes 24 and 25....), then it'd be easier to follow. Having to figure out what sort of things are happening, takes a lot of mental focus away from the things themselves.

I suppose a case could be made that Anno didn't have the benefit of framing for what was happening in his life....But that doesn't automatically make it a good approach for fiction. Fiction is supposed to be understood, after all.

CWS wrote:
The ultimate goal of it all was to achieve an honest, comprehensive and unflinching understanding of self. To understand why you think and feel the things that you do, and how you can choose to change them, or at least learn to live with them. Which is much more difficult than it sounds. And to do it in the midst of the bleakest and most oppressive circumstances imaginable. Because if you can...then none of the rest matters. The point of Evangelion is literally nothing short of learning to live.
Gunbuster (which edges out EVA in terms of my personal favorites, slightly; and was also directed and partially written by Anno) has a similar theme, now that I think about it. It's about understanding, and overcoming, self-doubt. Which I guess makes a lot of sense if Anno was dealing with symptoms of depression even then.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:29 pm 
Global Moderator

The Phiend wrote:
CWS wrote:

You sir, win the thread.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

The Phiend wrote:
Gunbuster (which edges out EVA in terms of my personal favorites, slightly; and was also directed and partially written by Anno) has a similar theme, now that I think about it. It's about understanding, and overcoming, self-doubt. Which I guess makes a lot of sense if Anno was dealing with symptoms of depression even then.
That's certainly possible, since it is often symptomatic of lifelong personality traits. It's also very possible that Okada Toshio, who was at that point the creative head of Gainax and the co-creator and co-writer of Gunbuster (along with Yamaga Hiroyuki, though he's generally not credited as prominently, perhaps by his own wishes) was also dealing with personal frustration and self-doubt, given the fact that they'd just finished devoting the last several years of their lives to Royal Space Force (AKA The Wings of Honneamise), Gainax's first official production, the audience reception to which was thoroughly confused and lackluster at best.

Zanth wrote:
The Phiend wrote:
CWS wrote:

You sir, win the thread.

I must concur. :lol:

Last edited by CWS on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Minor name correction.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:28 am 

I'm having difficulty tracking down the original series for sale. I sincerely doubt I'd be able to get it in New Zealand, but it looks like I'm not going to be able to get it from overseas either. It looks like it's out of print, and the copies that are still out there would in all likelihood be incompatible with my region. :(