Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Important announcements will be posted here. Only Sincronos.net staff members can start new topics.

Post subject: Now comes 2011.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:43 am 
Site Admin

Or to put it another way...Happy New Year! 8-)

Feel free to post your thoughts and musings on the past year, and any plans/resolutions/etc. you might have for the new one.

Post subject: Re: Now comes 2011.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:05 am 
Contributing Staff

Last year was a busy year for me, but I got through it, and with a Bachelor's Degree in Creative Industries (Creative Writing) to boot. Now comes another busy year of work, for money that'll go towards a sort of bachelor pad that'll hopefully begin construction sometime during the latter half of this year.

I want to keep writing my blog to keep my writing skills sharp, and I can use it to start promoting this website, too. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:08 am 
Site Admin

Loki Kola wrote:
I want to keep writing my blog to keep my writing skills sharp, and I can use it to start promoting this website, too. ;)

I certainly won't complain if you do! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:34 pm 

One year closer to doomsday. :lol: Can't wait to see the looks on the faces of the gullible when they realise the world won't end. :rbg:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:41 am 
Site Admin

2010 certainly had its ups and downs for me. I started this site (with some generous assistance!), lost several family members, got involved with politics in a more active way than I had before and did some volunteer work.

My resolution for 2011 is to stop waiting. Hopefully I can live up to it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:30 am 

I think we all had our fair share of ups and downs. I've passed the first year at Uni, but am now short of money and I have lost my dear Mandy. :cry: But on a cheerier note, we have a new 6 month old puppy. His name is Cruiser. :rbg: No, he's actually a sook as well and not at all aggressive or threatening. He does dig up the garden and try to steal our shoes though. And for some reason he likes the taste of sweat. :?

My resolution is to finish my second year at University with at least two A's under my belt.

Also CWS, you have my most sincere apologies for your family. That, and for being more interested and involved in politics.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:14 am 
Site Admin

snowman1989 wrote:
Also CWS, you have my most sincere apologies for your family. That, and for being more interested and involved in politics.

Thanks. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:19 pm 
Global Moderator

I guess all I can really say is I shall try to not let 2011 blow as much ass as 2010 did. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:51 am 
Contributing Staff

Well, it looks like 2011 has already brought with it the worst natural disaster Queensland has seen... well, ever. In terms of known human history, anyway,

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:43 pm 

And 1 year later, Haiti is still waiting for that $5 billion, someone to clean up the mess the earthquake made and, you know, the largest aid program ever put together! We're starting off in such a positive note, don't you think? :rbg:

I think you Aussies will be just fine Loki. So long as you have all those precious natural resources, the backing of the USA and First World services, you could do a whole lot worse (don't think about Katrina). Still, I guess that's small comfort for those who have indeed lost everything, particularly their lives. :( You'll get through.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:09 am 
Contributing Staff

The only way our natural resources will help is by allowing us to cover the abhorrent cost of rebuilding, which will take a minimum of two years. That's probably also just rebuilding everything the way it was, instead of floodproofing Brisbane so this level of crisis can be largely averted in the future.

Most of our first-world services have been either destroyed in the flooding, or rendered effectively useless. Brisbane City, the third largest capital city in the country, has been forced to a halt. There's barely anybody out or about, aside from police, State Emergency Services (SES) volunteers, and, unfortunately, some looters. Normally there are about 100 000 people out and about in Queen Street mall in the CBD alone. Our entire city's catamaran service has been disabled, because the pontoons the CityCats used to dock with are now several miles downstream, in pieces.

50 suburbs either already have been - or will be - affected by rising floodwaters. I don't know about comparing these floodwaters to Hurricane Katrina; but I do know only our dedicated SES volunteers kept the flood crisis from becoming a humanitarian disaster on the same scale as Katrina. The ENTIRE central business district has now been isolated and shut down. There's no power. 100 000 homes have been disconnected from the grid. People are trapped in their homes, with no power, and in some cases, no food. Panic buyers bought out the majority of food available, even moving into the rural town my parents live near to get their stores.

The flooding is now heading into northern New South Wales and affecting people there. Both Queensland and New South Wales will be affected by this floodwater before the crisis is ended and rebuilding can begin in earnest.

People reading this post should also read this thread at Australian Gamer - a forum at which I'm also a member - that covers the Flood Crisis from the viewpoint of the people affected by it. The thread also underlines the seriousness of the situation, and the speed at which it developed. On Saturday and Sunday, we in Brisbane were all watching reports of the flooding in Emerald and Rockhampton, and thanking God it wasn't us. A few days later, our city is drowning and disabled, and people are asking why. I really don't know, but whatever the reason, it sure is sad.

Sure, we'll rebuild. But we don't have to feel goddamn happy about it.

OH. And there's a strong possibility that a low pressure system currently moping off the east coast of Australia will develop into a strong tropical cyclone, head inland, and flood us all out again.

EDIT:

Black Hawks for Flood Relief Efforts

The Brisbane River Now

Destructive Flash Flood at Toowoomba

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:43 pm 

I didn't say you had to be happy about it (I was being sarcastic), and I appreciate the gravity of the situation. We recently had a large scale disaster over here as well and consider ourselves lucky. We've had some nasty past experiences of our own.

I'm afraid that if nature chooses to be a rotten bitch, there's nothing you can do other than to be just as stubborn and unyielding, and rebuild. Yeah, easier said than done. Life ain't fair either. But I bet you'll be damned if you let Brisbane end up like New Orleans. And I'm sure you'll be getting help from the other states and from abroad soon (we've already sent emergency services). Unlike Haiti, Australia is worth something. Depressing when you look at it like that, but that's the way the world works. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:42 am 

now comes 2012
happpy new year to alll