Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Young Justice animated series
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:25 pm 
Site Admin

I'm interested to see how this pans out.

Both the lineup of characters and the voice cast are rather surprising, in a number of ways.

Post subject: Re: Young Justice animated series
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:37 pm 
Site Admin

Although I hate to double post, I think this is worth it: Peter David, one of my favorite comic book writers, will be writing episodes of this show.

This is going to be good. Very good.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:04 am 
Site Admin

Lots of new YJ-animated news from New York Comic-Con 2010, courtesy of Titans Tower, and it is very interesting.
Quote:
The producers talked a bit about the show. Some of this was covered back on the San Diego panel, and some of it was new information. The series takes place on “Earth-16″, so it’s in-continuity with the DC Comics Universe as its own earth.

...On this earth, Wesiman explains, things are a little more “grounded” and “realistic.” The Justice League hasn’t been active long, and in their universe, they’ve become fast celebrities. Because they’re in the spotlight so much, they need to develop a covert ops team. Which is why “Young Justice” is formed. Superman has been active for about 10 years, and Robin (the first sidekick) has been active for 4 years.

Weisman described it as a “New Age of Heroes,” as the League itself is even a fairly new entity in this world. In response to these organized heroes, the villains are also becoming more organized. As such, they will not be a bumbling bunch – they’ll be deadly and decisive in their actions.

Tonally, the producers said it falls somewhere between Bruce Timm’s JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED and TEEN TITANS. We will see a lot of the teens in their downtime, and some of their missions will even be done in plainclothes. Weisman mentioned he’s a big fan of Joss Whedon, and emulated a little bit of that style for the show. A little comedy to offset the drama, a lot of romance, some angst, but a lot of humor as well.

...The producers mentioned that the theme of “Secrets and Lies” permeates the first 26 episodes. The villains are keeping secrets. The League is keeping secrets from the sidekicks. Young Justice is keeping secrets from each other, and even themselves.

This series is sounding better and better the more I hear about it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:26 am 
Site Admin

Well, the Young Justice pilot episode has now aired, and in my occasionally humble opinion, it totally kicked ass.

In support of my assessment, I present an extended series trailer cut together from the pilot.

The production values and overall tone and style of the show are a lot closer to Justice League Unlimited than they are to the Teen Titans animated series. And as much as I love TT, I'm actually really glad they're taking a more serious and less whimsical approach with this series. It really seems like they're trying to launch an entirely new DC animated continuity with this, and that's pretty exciting in its own right.

Now for some character impressions.

Speedy: He isn't actually part of the team but he does figure prominently into the opening. He's brought to the League's Washington HQ alongside the other "sidekicks", but gets pissed at them over being left out of the League's "real" activities and the apparent lack of trust he thinks it implies. He then tells off Aquaman and Green Arrow and storms off to go get high or something. (Am I joking? I don't know, that will remain to be seen. Would be interesting if it turns out I'm not.)

Robin: He's younger and much less serious than he was in the TT series. He also gets to show off his computer skills a lot more. According to the producers he's a 13-year-old Dick Grayson, which is a little odd because the Robin in Young Justice was always Tim Drake, but it makes sense in this particular continuity.

Kid Flash: Is still Wally West, but seems slightly older and somewhat less laid-back than he was in TT (or JL/JLU, for that matter), though he's still a smartass. I kinda miss Mike Rosenbaum as his VA, but that's hardly a deal-breaker. As with Robin, the KF in Young Justice was actually Bart Allen, but again, different continuity here. The producers list him at 15.

Aqualad: Is a totally new character, and is voiced by Khary "Cyborg" Payton. He seems much older and more mature than the other two, and his powers are really cool.

Superboy: A clone of Superman created by the sinister Cadmus corporation, he's kind of a blank slate so far, but that's not surprising since he's spent his entire life (all sixteen weeks of it) in a test tube up to this point.

Miss Martian: Sadly, she's not introduced until the very end of the pilot, and only has like two lines. Still, I'm extremely pleased and excited at her inclusion in this series (even though she was never associated with Young Justice in the comics, heh). She's struck me as a character of exceptional potential ever since I first heard of her, three or four years ago. The YJ producers apparently expect Superboy to become the show's "breakout" character. Depending on how Miss M. is played, I'm not so sure.

Artemis: The team's sixth member does not appear in the pilot at all. I know nothing about her.

That's all I've got so far.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:35 am 

Looks awesome. Shame that we still have to wait a while to see the series, but I reckon it will be worth it!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:06 pm 
Site Admin

Titans Tower has posted a short behind-the-scenes video clip (plus plenty of screenshots) from Comic-Con 2010, to continue to torment us whet our appetites for the series proper. :rbg:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:47 am 
Global Moderator

I'm not quite sure where you got the drug insinuations with Speedy from it, I didn't get that vibe at all. Tho I did find it amusing that like 2 minutes after he stormed off there was another character voiced by Crispin Freeman right there to fill the void, lol. It was pretty good, I did quite enjoy the pilot and am looking forward to seeing how the series plays out. Who is Artemis supposed to be connected to, or is she gonna be some random young new chick they take in?

Also... Miss Martian... what happened to Manhunter being the only survivor? Did he... bud a niece off his back or something? I'm not up on the comics at all, so I dunno what they fabricated there after all this time of him being the only one.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:56 pm 

If I recall right in the comics, there were two species of Martian, green and white. The greens (like J'onn J'onzz) were more peace loving while the whites were typically aggressive and warlike (isn't Speciesism fun and more appropriate than racism?). :roll: Needless to say both are currently extinct, but Miss Martian was apparently sent in a small ship somewhere before this happened and she somehow made her way to Earth. Oh, and she's a white Martian, but acts the opposite of one, which got her into trouble with the Teen Titans at first.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:06 pm 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
I'm not quite sure where you got the drug insinuations with Speedy from it, I didn't get that vibe at all.
Sorry, that was a reference to the comics, where Speedy/Roy Harper/Red Arrow has a history of heroin addiction. I don't really expect the YJ TV series to go there, I was just...tossing it out, I guess. :P

Quote:
Tho I did find it amusing that like 2 minutes after he stormed off there was another character voiced by Crispin Freeman right there to fill the void, lol. It was pretty good, I did quite enjoy the pilot and am looking forward to seeing how the series plays out. Who is Artemis supposed to be connected to, or is she gonna be some random young new chick they take in?
That is the big question. The producers have stated that she is an "existing" character from the established DC universe, but nobody seems to know who she's supposed to be. All that is known for sure about her is that she is neither Arrowette nor Wonder Girl.

Quote:
Also... Miss Martian... what happened to Manhunter being the only survivor? Did he... bud a niece off his back or something? I'm not up on the comics at all, so I dunno what they fabricated there after all this time of him being the only one.
As Snowman mentioned, Miss Martian's background in the comics is that she is secretly a white Martian, an incredibly malevolent race who were mortal enemies of the green Martians. If you remember the alien invaders from the very first episode of the Bruce Timm Justice League TV series, they were never actually called white Martians, but that's more or less what they were.

Because of this, as far as I know Miss Martian was not initially connected to Martian Manhunter (in the comics) at all, whereas in the YJ animated series, she clearly is. Guess we'll have to wait for more details on her YJ-continuity background, but this is also one of the reasons I find her so interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:17 pm 
Site Admin

CWS wrote:
Zanth wrote:
Tho I did find it amusing that like 2 minutes after he stormed off there was another character voiced by Crispin Freeman right there to fill the void, lol. It was pretty good, I did quite enjoy the pilot and am looking forward to seeing how the series plays out. Who is Artemis supposed to be connected to, or is she gonna be some random young new chick they take in?
That is the big question. The producers have stated that she is an "existing" character from the established DC universe, but nobody seems to know who she's supposed to be. All that is known for sure about her is that she is neither Arrowette nor Wonder Girl.
This is the only non-villain DC character named Artemis I could find. Unsure whether that's on the right track or if it's the wrong obscure DC character.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:57 am 
Site Admin

The Phiend wrote:
This is the only non-villain DC character named Artemis I could find. Unsure whether that's on the right track or if it's the wrong obscure DC character.

Y'know, I just had a thought...what if she's not a non-villain DCU character? o_o

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:45 am 
Site Admin

CWS wrote:
The Phiend wrote:

Y'know, I just had a thought...what if she's not a non-villain DCU character? o_o
That would leave us here.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:15 am 
Global Moderator

Any word on when this series will continue?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:30 am 

I last heard it would run sometime in January my dear laughing anime caper. But I'm afraid I haven't been able to see any precise dates.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:34 am 
Site Admin

Updates and interesting behind-the-scenes stuff on the producer's blog, here! 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:21 am 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
Any word on when this series will continue?

It starts January 7th! :rbg:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:23 am 

Looking forward to it! :rbg:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:27 am 
Global Moderator

Nice! Thanks for the update!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

Here's one other background tidbit for those who are unfamiliar with the comics: Superboy is not just a "pure" clone of Superman, he was actually created using genetic material from two different people.

Guess who his other "parent" is?

It will be very interesting indeed to see how this detail plays out in the YJ TV series.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:39 am 
Site Admin

Hmmm. Courtesy of Cartoon Network's website, via Titans Tower...click the thumbnail for a full size image.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 258 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next