Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Raven to get a TV Series?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:19 pm 

I know some of you here are Teen Titans fans (I'm looking at you, Cylor and Phiend), and I stumbled across this interesting piece of news while surfing the Net.

CW Looks Into Raven

Apparently, CW is looking for a new series to replace Smallville once the show ends after the 10th season, and they are considering whether or not to give this project the green light.

For those who have no idea who Raven is, she is a comic book character from the DC superhero team Teen Titans, with powers (and here I am being brief) including empathy, sorcery and teleportation based on control of her emotions. She is very powerful, but here is the catch: her father is an evil demon warlord who sired her to allow him to conquer the earth, and if she feels too much emotion she will begin to grow more corrupt, evil and more willing to follow her father's horrific orders. Her last (and thus far, only) TV appearance was on the hit anime/cartoon series Teen Titans.

Post subject: Re: Raven to get a TV Series?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:59 pm 
Site Admin

Interesting...but rather vague, although I guess that's to be expected this early. Would it be a live-action show? If so, I could possibly forgive them for overlooking Starfire for Raven. Possibly. :-P

And I am now compelled to meaningfully link the non-forum portion of our site.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:57 am 
Site Admin

snowman1989 wrote:
I know some of you here are Teen Titans fans (I'm looking at you, Cylor and Phiend), and I stumbled across this interesting piece of news while surfing the Net.

CW Looks Into Raven

Apparently, CW is looking for a new series to replace Smallville once the show ends after the 10th season, and they are considering whether or not to give this project the green light.

I'm what--?! Wait, wha...oh...okay, now I get it. :lol:

Well then. I guess I'd better find a suitable image to express my reaction to the prospect of my favorite TT character getting her own standalone series.

...Seems to be the best I can do on short notice. :oops:

But seriously, I am surprised. The last thing I'd heard discussed as a Smallville replacement was something along the lines of The Graysons...but apparently that's been tossed out. Still, this is not something I would have expected to be proposed as an alternative.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:11 am 
Site Admin

CWS wrote:
Well then. I guess I'd better find a suitable image to express my reaction to the prospect of my favorite TT character getting her own standalone series.

...Seems to be the best I can do on short notice. :oops:

But seriously, I am surprised. The last thing I'd heard discussed as a Smallville replacement was something along the lines of The Graysons...but apparently that's been tossed out. Still, this is not something I would have expected to be proposed as an alternative.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:35 am 

...Did Phiend just appear in that picture in a bikini? :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:21 am 
Global Moderator

Yeah, I never would have thought Raven would be known enough for them to think of something like that. Could be cool though, I suppose.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:46 pm 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
Yeah, I never would have thought Raven would be known enough for them to think of something like that. Could be cool though, I suppose.

I'm shocked, too. It's safe to say that if this gets the green light it will be due entirely to her popularity in the TT animated series.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:01 am 

Truthfully I would love to see Raven in action again, but only if the writers, director and actors have done the research. Too often we've seen comic book characters appear on TV and the movies who were just not taken seriously and suffered character decay, if not outright character assassination.

For example, Batman. Joel Schumacher. Arnold Schwarzenegger. Need I say more? :? .........nipples. :lol:

My biggest fear is that the producers will take one look at her, nod to one another and both think out loud, "Twilight." :shock:
Stephanie Meyer has ruined vampire mythology beyond all hope of repair, we don't need her screwing up comics as well! :x

Wow, I have real issues with Meyer. :? But I believe this needed to be said.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:27 am 
Site Admin

snowman1989 wrote:
Truthfully I would love to see Raven in action again, but only if the writers, director and actors have done the research. Too often we've seen comic book characters appear on TV and the movies who were just not taken seriously and suffered character decay, if not outright character assassination.

Ironically I've seen some people describe her portrayal in the animated TT series in more or less those exact terms.

I don't agree with that assessment, I'm just saying...eye of the beholder, and all that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:45 am 

Yeah, the animated Raven was markedly different from her original comic book counterpart, in good and bad ways, but like you CWS, I believe the portrayal remained true to the essence of the character. Still, it was an American kid's show, and every insanely overprotective soccer mother over there would have gone ballistic if the writers had decided to make it more faithful to the 1980's comics. That stuff was far edgier, gorier and a bit angsty. Not to mention Slade's moral ambiguity, which by itself would have set them off like firecrackers at Guy Fawkes.

Fans haven't just had trouble with her in the TV Series, but also in the comics lately. I have to say Felicia Henderson's work is the worst comic book writing I have ever had the displeasure of reading. :x Hopefully J.T. Krul will be an improvement.

That reminds me, CWS. How far are you from finishing your story?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:09 am 
Site Admin

snowman1989 wrote:
Yeah, the animated Raven was markedly different from her original comic book counterpart, in good and bad ways, but like you CWS, I believe the portrayal remained true to the essence of the character.
Personally -- and I've argued about this with fans of the comics -- I think most of the changes in the animated version actually made her more interesting and believable. I'm curious as to whether you think there were some things they should have done differently, since you said the changes were both good and bad.

Quote:
That reminds me, CWS. How far are you from finishing your story?

Family? Hmmm...I want to say I'm at least two-thirds of the way through it, but so far the actual text has ended up being quite a bit longer than I'd originally expected it to be, even though I've had more or less the entire story mapped out since before I started writing it. Anyway, we're probably six or seven chapters away from the end...now I just have to pull myself out of this creative funk I've been in, and get back to work on it again. :?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:59 am 

Need a hand? It's useful to be able to bounce ideas and stuff off of others (provided they aren't heavy or sharp ;) ) and break the pesky writer's block.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:36 am 
Site Admin

snowman1989 wrote:
Need a hand? It's useful to be able to bounce ideas and stuff off of others (provided they aren't heavy or sharp ;) ) and break the pesky writer's block.

Well, if you have anything particular in mind, there's always the story's discussion topic; I'd certainly welcome any and all comments/discussion/musings/suggestions anyone might have there. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:59 am 

i dont like raven
but shes sexy :-P

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:04 pm 
Site Admin

Dumars21LXGi wrote:
i dont like raven
but shes sexy :-P