Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Superman to return to the big screen...again.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:00 am 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
When does this open, anyway?

The official site says June 14th.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

That's it. I'm fucking sold.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:48 pm 
Contributing Staff

So that's a SUPERMAN trailer... and I've watched it twice already and I'll be watching it a lot more, which is definitely very good news. This just focuses on everything that's right about Superman, to me.

The idea that he might be a god by our reckoning is played against his desire to protect the weak -- which is every normal human on the planet, I suppose -- forcing him to make the sacrifice play, as Captain Rogers would put it. Better yet, I can't see Lex Luthor anywhere, which is good. The whole idea of Kryptonite being the only way to defeat Superman is just rather boring, and this film seems ready and willing to focus on what makes Kal-El the same as humanity rather than on what makes him better than them, which I believe is the failing of... well, recent Superman films at least.

EDIT: You've also yet to comment on the Iron Man 3 tv spot I posted, gosh darn it. :P

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:41 pm 
Site Admin

Loki Kola wrote:
So that's a SUPERMAN trailer... and I've watched it twice already and I'll be watching it a lot more, which is definitely very good news. This just focuses on everything that's right about Superman, to me.

The idea that he might be a god by our reckoning is played against his desire to protect the weak -- which is every normal human on the planet, I suppose -- forcing him to make the sacrifice play, as Captain Rogers would put it.
Yes. That's the point of Superman, and why I disagree with the idea that he's a fundamentally boring character. He is unfathomably powerful, virtually indestructible, and could do absolutely anything he wanted to with that power...he could rule the Earth, enslave the whole of mankind to his every whim, and no one would be able to stop him. And yet, look at the choice he makes.

He chooses a life of true humility. Of anonymity. Of voluntary servitude. He places the needs of all other people above his own. Rather than bend humankind to his will and make us serve him, he chooses to serve us, instead. And to do the things no one else can do, because no one else can do them, for the benefit of all.

There are a number of other aspects of his character that I find fascinating from a metaphorical standpoint, but I'll leave it at that for now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:18 pm 
Contributing Staff

I think Superman is fundamentally a very interesting character, but that many have produced very boring stories featuring him by focusing solely on his 'godhood' and cheaper weaknesses like Kryptonite and psychic control, making his weaknesses trivial and his strength insurmountable. I know lots of people who hate Superman but love Batman because Batman relies on intellect, strength of character, and martial prowess to overcome foes. To them, Superman isn't so much super as inherently perfect, but that's only because he's been typecast often as that character, I think. Syndrome in the Incredibles said 'when everybody's Super, no one will be', which would be true of the worst characterisation of Superman: if everyone had Kryptonian powers, he'd just be bland. That's only true of the more poorly handled portrayals of his character, though. I think this Superman, this story, is well on its way to being as interesting as The Dark Knight.

EDIT: Seventh time watched :oops:

EDIT2: Twentieth time... and it's at over six million views already.

EDIT3: Over ten and a half Million Views... holy shit.

Post subject: Re: Man of Steel
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:19 am 
Site Admin

Well, I just got home from Man of Steel...and it did not disappoint. It is very different from all previous Superman movies, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.
[Reveal] Spoiler: Man of Steel
  • During the first ten minutes or so, we are given a much more detailed and much more thoroughly fleshed-out look at Krypton's final days than has ever before been depicted on screen, at least to my knowledge. I found this rather fascinating because for the first time, you really get a sense of what their civilization was like, how and why they doomed themselves, and a much clearer picture of Jor-El's and Zod's motivations...at least as far as this particular continuity is concerned, anyway. It's also implied, later, that Earth was originally a Kryptonian colony, which does make sense.
  • Of great significance is the fact that for many centuries, and so probably for hundreds of generations, the entire Kryptonian species has been genetically engineered, with every single citizen literally designed from birth to perform one specific role, job or vocation in their society. Kal-El, in fact, is the first naturally-born Kryptonian in several hundred years (something which General Zod condemns as "heresy"). This is an angle I've never seen depicted or explored before, and it's what makes Jor-El's monologue in the trailer, about a child aspiring to something other than what society intended, so meaningful. It also means that he not only sent his son to Earth to save him from Krypton's destruction, but also to free him from what their society had become.
  • Another thing that surprised me was the fact that Clark's life on Earth is not told in chronological order, but rather, his personal history and upbringing are recounted by a series of flashbacks that unfold throughout the movie. This actually works much better than I would have guessed it would, had someone told me ahead of time.
  • Let the record also reflect that in this movie, for the first time ever, Lois Lane did not annoy the piss out of me. :P
  • The level of destruction and sheer mayhem that ultimately takes place before the film's conclusion will startle you, no matter how much you're expecting. Seriously. Metropolis is nearly leveled by the end of the movie, and I'm not exaggerating.
  • I also have to say that the Kryptonians' ships, their armor, and many, many elements of their technology fairly screamed "Brainiac" to me (as it should), so much so that I can't help but think/hope that may be a foreshadowing of something to come in a future movie. Because damn would that be cool.
  • I'm also gonna potentially stick my neck out and say that I really hope they introduce Supergirl at some point in this continuity.

Honestly, I think Zack Snyder did an awesome job in the director's chair. He didn't try to make Superman "dark and gritty", as had been suggested at one point during our earliest musings on this film, but what he did do was make a movie that was genuinely awe-inspiring in all the right places. So, yeah, this movie has my official stamp of approval. :ugeek:

Last edited by CWS on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Decided to change the post title.