Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Superman to return to the big screen...again.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:27 am 
Site Admin

Okay, this isn't exactly new news, but I still think it's worth a topic.

Unlike some people, I really liked Bryan Singer's Superman Returns, a lot. I was actually hoping to see another Singer outing for the Man of Steel, and was skeptical when I heard the studio was leaning toward another "reboot" for the next film, instead. But now, I am no longer skeptical, having learned of the creative team involved.

The next Superman film will be directed by Zack Snyder, of 300 and Watchmen fame. Which isn't a bad choice, but also not terribly exciting, in part because I think Bryan Singer is a superior director. But that's also not the real news here.

More importantly, it will be written by Christopher Nolan and David S. Goyer, who were responsible for Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. And as we have recently established, Chris Nolan is simply the most ingenious storyteller in cinema today.

Now I'm excited.

Post subject: Re: Superman to return to the big screen...again.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:36 am 

I've never really been a big fan of Superman, the guy seems too flawless and quite frankly, invincible. The only things that can kill him? A red sun, hoodoo voodoo, and a glowy green rock... yeah yeah, also this guy.

But if Nolan is writing the next Superman movie, he'll need to lighten the tone a little. Dark and gritty only really works for Batman and other anti-heroes, not someone who is positivistic, bright and fervently believes in the best in people (no matter how rotten they may be) like the Man of Steel. This isn't the Dark Knight or Inception.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:00 am 
Site Admin

snowman1989 wrote:
I've never really been a big fan of Superman, the guy seems too flawless and quite frankly, invincible. The only things that can kill him? A red sun, hoodoo voodoo, and a glowy green rock... yeah yeah, also this guy.

But if Nolan is writing the next Superman movie, he'll need to lighten the tone a little. Dark and gritty only really works for Batman and other anti-heroes, not someone who is positivistic, bright and fervently believes in the best in people (no matter how rotten they may be) like the Man of Steel. This isn't the Dark Knight or Inception.

That's a fair point. But in my view, the things that really set Nolan's films apart is his ability to craft intricately detailed, yet riveting, stories around a fundamental, unifying theme. And I think the way he does it is absolutely brilliant. I know I keep using that word, perhaps to the point of redundancy, but I can't think of any other way to describe it. It's something I'm trying to study and incorporate into my own work, at least to the best of my ability.

As such, I'm really not worried about whether or not he can write something to "fit" Superman -- that's child's play compared to what the man already does, and consistently at that. And if anyone can craft a story that will suck you in and make you forget all of your personal gripes about the character's relative lack of weaknesses, it will be him.

Seriously, I'm really excited to see what he and Goyer come up with.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:13 am 
Contributing Staff

Dark and gritty would work if they showed Superman actually radiating or bringing light to the world, rather than reveling in it as Batman does.

Superman has always been about being naturally superior to this world, both morally and physically; however, Batman has always been all about choosing to be better than the cruel world one lives in.

Last edited by Loki Kola on Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:33 am 
Site Admin

Also let's not forget that Chris Nolan will NOT be directing this, that will be up to Zack Snyder, who...um...well, uh...hrm. On second thought, you may have a point about striking an appropriate tone. :|

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:57 am 

this movie sucks real bad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:59 pm 
Site Admin

Dumars21LXGi wrote:
this movie sucks real bad

Which movie would that be? We were talking about one that hasn't even been filmed yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:35 am 
Site Admin

The first "full" official trailer for Man of Steel has been out for a while, but I guess I forgot to post it here...so here it is.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:49 am 
Site Admin

Okay, has anyone other than me watched that trailer? Because it's awe-inspiring, if I do say so myself.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:04 pm 
Global Moderator

Well, the choice of Kevin Costner leaves a lot to be desired, and insinuating that papa Kent would EVER wish that young Clark should just let people die is ridiculous. Other than that, it looks pretty sweet, and I am looking forward to seeing it this spring/summer(I forget when it releases).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
Well, the choice of Kevin Costner leaves a lot to be desired, and insinuating that papa Kent would EVER wish that young Clark should just let people die is ridiculous.
Well, Kevin Costner is...Kevin Costner. So yeah. :| As for that particular line, I'll withhold judgment until we can see how the scene actually plays out, since the way it's cut together in the trailer, we can't really know for sure exactly what he was answering "maybe" to. I know how the trailer makes it look, I'm just saying, these things can be misleading.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:54 pm 
Contributing Staff

Like how the trailer for Young Adult made it seem like light, family friendly comedy. The, uh, opposite of what it was.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:19 pm 
Global Moderator

CWS wrote:
Zanth wrote:
Well, the choice of Kevin Costner leaves a lot to be desired, and insinuating that papa Kent would EVER wish that young Clark should just let people die is ridiculous.
Well, Kevin Costner is...Kevin Costner. So yeah. :| As for that particular line, I'll withhold judgment until we can see how the scene actually plays out, since the way it's cut together in the trailer, we can't really know for sure exactly what he was answering "maybe" to. I know how the trailer makes it look, I'm just saying, these things can be misleading.

I know, look at, oh, every trailer ever made for The Watchmen or Deep Impact. They made them out to be epic action flicks. Neither of them was neither epic nor all that action-y. I only put so much stock in a trailer. I think overall it looks good. If the only problems it has are Kevin Costner and and that line, it should be great.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:44 pm 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
I know, look at, oh, every trailer ever made for The Watchmen or Deep Impact. They made them out to be epic action flicks. Neither of them was neither epic nor all that action-y. I only put so much stock in a trailer. I think overall it looks good. If the only problems it has are Kevin Costner and and that line, it should be great.
Personally, I thought Watchmen was pretty epic, but I get what you're saying and I guess that's neither here nor there. As for the casting, well...if Katie Holmes couldn't sink Batman Begins, I doubt Kevin Costner will sink Man of Steel. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:35 am 
Global Moderator

CWS wrote:
Zanth wrote:
Personally, I thought Watchmen was pretty epic, but I get what you're saying and I guess that's neither here nor there. As for the casting, well...if Katie Holmes couldn't sink Batman Begins, I doubt Kevin Costner will sink Man of Steel. 8-)

Might've liked Watchmen a lot better had it not been the complete opposite of what the trailers made me think it was. But as you say..... Also.... at least Katie Holmes can actually act and show emotion(not saying she's great, just a better actress than Costner). But again, matter of opinion. I look forward to more trailers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:47 am 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
Might've liked Watchmen a lot better had it not been the complete opposite of what the trailers made me think it was.
Well, Watchmen was a pretty faithful adaptation of the landmark comic series...which...had been out for about 20 years prior to the movie's release...soooooo... :P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

CWS wrote:
Zanth wrote:
Might've liked Watchmen a lot better had it not been the complete opposite of what the trailers made me think it was.
Well, Watchmen was a pretty faithful adaptation of the landmark comic series...which...had been out for about 20 years prior to the movie's release...soooooo... :P
So all you'd have to do is happen to have previously been into comics and knew of the series...or have consciously decided to spoil the movie by looking into the comic series. Right. :|

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:52 pm 
Global Moderator

CWS wrote:
Zanth wrote:

I'd never heard of it before it hit theatres. I became aware of the comics when the trailers started to hit, but I didn't bother, figured I'd check it out if I liked the movie. Guess it was so hugely popular, a guy who actually keeps an eye on the comic world hadn't heard of it. :P Landmark does not equal popular outside the non-mainstream comic world. V for Vendetta I didn't even find out was a comic until I saw the DC Comics logo at the start of the film.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:23 am 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
CWS wrote:
Zanth wrote:
I'd never heard of it before it hit theatres. I became aware of the comics when the trailers started to hit, but I didn't bother, figured I'd check it out if I liked the movie. Guess it was so hugely popular, a guy who actually keeps an eye on the comic world hadn't heard of it. :P Landmark does not equal popular outside the non-mainstream comic world. V for Vendetta I didn't even find out was a comic until I saw the DC Comics logo at the start of the film.
Watchmen was pretty damn popular, though perhaps not in a "mainstream" sense. And it was definitely a book that was pitched very specifically at a strictly adult audience, which at that time, was unusual. But it was and still is considered to be one of the most original, groundbreaking and influential comics of the 1980s. That's not just me saying that, that's many of the writers and artists who are prominent in the industry's mainstream saying it. And it is the work that Alan Moore is most recognized for.

Now admittedly I hadn't read the comic before the movie came out either, due to the fact that I was pretty young when it was published, so I know you would've been, too. :P But I had heard of it, and I guess my point is that, one, it would've been very easy to get just a basic idea of what it was about without having to dig into obscure and/or spoiler-heavy writings on the subject, and second and more importantly, I think the idea that the movie's trailers depicted it as something completely different from what it actually was is simply not accurate.

I guess we've gotten kind of off topic, though, haven't we. o_o

Well, still, it's another DC movie so...um...it's kind of vaguely related? Oh oh, and it was directed by the same guy who's directing Man of Steel! So there's also that. Yeah.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:36 pm 
Global Moderator

You realize you pretty much just agreed with what I said, right? Aside from the bit about the trailer, that is. The trailers made it look like a actiony super hero flick, which it wasn't. It was a well done film, don't get me wrong, I've grown to enjoy it since, it just... was mis-represented, IMO.

That said, after watching it and 300, I think Superman will, at the least, be well directed. I've enjoyed every movie I've seen that Nolan wrote, but he's also directed them, and that can certainly make a difference. When does this open, anyway?