Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Green Lantern Animated Series
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:41 am 

We've got another cartoon series on the way, this time focusing on the Green Lantern Corps, the intergalactic police force that has been catapulted into the mainstream in recent years by Geoff Johns' run on the comic book title. It premieres on 11 November in a one hour special, like Young Justice did last year, only this series is being set on CG, which isn't my cup of tea, but the writing (and the fact that Bruce Timm is one of the producers) has me cautiously optimistic.

A bold and unconventional move on their part is introducing the rage-fuelled Red Lanterns and Atrocitus to the ickle kiddies, as anyone familiar with the recent GL mythos will recognise that these guys are the most brutal, bloodthirsty/spewy villains in GL's rogues gallery.

And Hal Jordan is.... well, Hal Jordan.... ;)

Oh, and with all due respect, you can kiss my ass..... sir

Post subject: Re: Green Lantern Animated Series
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:22 am 

[Reveal] Spoiler: Beware my Power
The CG animation isn't quite to my liking I'm afraid. To me, it just lacks the depth that more traditional animation often delivers. But character-wise and story-wise it shows promise. Hal Jordan has that half-cocked, suave and womanising personality that Green Lantern readers will quickly recognise. The Guardians of the Universe (save for Ganthet) are stuffy, strict and by-the-book, and not at all appreciative of Jordan's theatrics. :P Kilowog is simply a badass. :D

And then there's the main antagonists, the Red Lanterns, with Razor, Zilius Zox and the head honcho Atrocitus taking centre stage. I've read quite a bit of the recent Green Lantern mythos, particularly about the Red Lanterns, and I was a little disappointed. In the comics, they have a fearsome reputation as bloodthirsty killers, some so consumed with rage that they are little more than animals. This series portrays them as more cunning and calculating than they should be (Atrocitus usually did the scheming and calculating), although they do still kill, and I did like the concept of them being zealots as a result of their homes having been destroyed (with only a fragment left as their holy city) by the Guardians, but apparently they have become zealots only to have lost sight of what they were fighting for when they themselves (under Atrocitus' orders) blow up a planet "for the greater good." I just don't think they sounded quite furious enough.
There's also that tiny little detail about the red power rings the producers have altered (and by tiny I mean, BIG detail). In the comics, the red rings have literally become the hearts of their hosts (with the tell-tale ba-DUM, ba-DUM sound you hear when close-up to one), and also completely replaces the host's blood with an ultra corrosive, naplam-like fluid that they spew out of their mouths that is powerful enough to overwhelm and burn right through a Green Lantern's shields. When Hal Jordan disarms a Red Lantern in the cartoon, he is simply taken prisoner on his ship, but in the comics, that lantern would be dead because he wouldn't have a heart anymore.

The story was good, character development was okay, was a little disappointed with this portrayal of the Reds and the CG animation doesn't agree with me that much. But overall, I think it was a good episode, just not anything revolutionary or mind-blowing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:27 pm 
Global Moderator

To be fair, this is meant to be more kid-friendly than the comics are. I thought it was OK, and I'll likely continue to watch it since I can just catch it at work instead of wasting part of my friday evening on it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:49 am 

i was a die hard fan of justice league series during my child hood