Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DC Nation on Cartoon Network
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:51 am 
Site Admin

After all these years, and all the rampantly incessant half-baked bullshit that's been flung across the Internet by know-nothing fans and certain voice actors, I can honestly say that I never thought I would ever see this happen. Ever. But it is, this is really legitimate.

You'll see what I'm talking about at 0:44.

Yes. Really.

Post subject: Re: DC Nation on Cartoon Network
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:29 pm 
Global Moderator

Not sure how I feel about it... most of it looks terrible. I'd be happier with the mention of Teen Titans shorts if it didn't look completely like chibi-Titans only.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:19 am 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
Not sure how I feel about it... most of it looks terrible. I'd be happier with the mention of Teen Titans shorts if it didn't look completely like chibi-Titans only.

True, but frankly, I can't believe they're actually giving us that much.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:43 pm 
Global Moderator

True. I just hope the nature of it doesn't mean its going to suck. Cuz lets face it man, 85% of the stuff in that trailer looked like crap. Most of the rest was, you know, Young Justice and Green Lantern(which I think has potential).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:12 pm 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
True. I just hope the nature of it doesn't mean its going to suck. Cuz lets face it man, 85% of the stuff in that trailer looked like crap. Most of the rest was, you know, Young Justice and Green Lantern(which I think has potential).

Honestly, the only things I really care about are the stunning prospect of new animated Titans, SD or no, and of course Young Justice.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:47 am 

nice video :-)

do u watch cartoon network a lot ??

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

You know, despite my original skepticism about a lot of this, I have to admit that many of the shorts -- in particular, TTG NTT and "Super Best Friends Forever" -- have been downright brilliant.

Last edited by CWS on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
The inital batch of shorts were titled "New Teen Titans", not "Teen Titans Go!" and were stylistically different enough from the current ongoing series to be considered an entirely separate series in my view.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:10 pm 
Site Admin

I've gotta post this one, too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

For those unaware, the Teen Titans Go! shorts are...well, not just going to be shorts.

Press Release wrote:
The Teen Titans are returning to Cartoon Network with all-new comedic adventures, and this time they’re giving viewers a look at what life is really like as a teen superhero… once the cape comes off. The half-hour animated series, Teen Titans Go! premieres on Tuesday, April 23, at 7:30pm (ET/PT) and will be rebroadcast during the DC Nation block on Saturday mornings at 10:30am (ET/PT) beginning April 27.

The character-driven comedy series focuses on the funny that happens in between saving the world and living together as teenagers without adult supervision. The comedic mayhem of the animated series is punctuated by pranks and the occasional need to fight crime, but it will also deal with the everyday issues of adolescence. With epic staring contests to decide who does the laundry, a series of quests and battles to construct the perfect sandwich or fighting crime in Jump City , one thing is for sure, these Titans will always be ready for an adventure inside the house and out.

The principal voice cast from the original Teen Titans series, based on DC Comics characters, will reprise their roles in Teen Titans Go!, with Scott Menville as the voice of Robin, the slightly power-mad perfectionist and leader of the Teen Titans. Hynden Walch voices Starfire, an alien struggling to fit in; Tara Strong voices Raven, the sardonic, deadpan demon girl; Greg Cipes returns as the slightly dim but always loveable loafer, Beast Boy; and Khary Payton provides the voice of Cyborg, a laidback kid who is half teen, half robot.

The fan-favorite theme song from the original Teen Titans will also be making its return to television, with an updated remix from Mix Master Mike of the Beastie Boys.

Teen Titans Go! joins a strong Tuesday night block of programming on Cartoon Network which also includes Johnny Test (7:00pm ET/PT) and The Looney Tunes Show (8:00pm ET/PT). Teen Titans Go! can be seen again on Saturday mornings during the DC Nation block alongside Beware The Batman, which will premiere this summer. Green Lantern: The Animated Series and Young Justice Invasion will end their run on March 16.

I'm...really not sure what to make of this. A few of the shorts have been funny. Also, Hynden Walch. On the other hand...trailers tend to mislead, and comedy on one-minute shorts doesn't have exactly the same technique as comedy on half-hour episodes.

More images here.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:58 pm 
Global Moderator

I don't think I'll enjoy full half hour episodes of... that. Some of the shorts were funny, but I liked the blend of humor and serious with Teen Titans, the silly humor bits were usually my least favorite parts of the show.... but I guess we shall see.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:26 pm 
Contributing Staff

I'll agree and say that last video makes me think this new relies on Teen Titans to sell it, and not on them as characters and storytellers. I didn't find any of it funny. Also apparently all of the previous videos are 'unavailable in my country'.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:48 am 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
I don't think I'll enjoy full half hour episodes of... that. Some of the shorts were funny, but I liked the blend of humor and serious with Teen Titans, the silly humor bits were usually my least favorite parts of the show.... but I guess we shall see.
Yeah, I'm pretty much in total agreement on this. :|

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:03 am 

Oh dear. Seems the Titans are going the way of the fairy tale with their relentless kiddification. :(

What am I talking about? Back in the old days... I mean, the really old days where most people were illiterate, fairy tales were not sparkly magical marshmallowy fables of goodness. They were dark, mature stories told not just to children, but between adults as well (in which case they'd be even more mature) to frighten, entertain or instruct. Once people started getting an education, and more entertaining stories were found, these "fairy tales" were told less and less between adults and more and more towards children. As the 19th century passed, these tales became kiddified, even more so under Walt Disney in the 20th, and eventually took the form of the fairy tales we know today. Adult stories converted into little children's tales. Fairy tales are equivalent to old toys that the adults have either thrown away or given to kids.

You might wonder what this has to do with the Teen Titans. Well, think of it this way: what are comics but modern day fairy tales? Think back to the first New Teen Titans run in the 1980s, that was pretty dark, mature stuff: murder, betrayal, a colossal Satanic figure who turns the world into Hell... yeah, mature. Fast forward to 2003, and you have the first animated series; some of the mature themes are still there (torture, betrayal, one scene is uncomfortably reminiscent of rape), but it's been kiddified a bit for younger audiences with chibi animation in parts.

What we have now though is a complete transition from mature adult story to children's fairy tale in the new series: complete kiddification, not taking itself seriously at all. Doesn't look like the Titans will have a future after this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

The episode descriptions...do not impress me.

Quote:
Teen Titans Go!
Tuesday, April 23rd, 2013 at 7:30pm (ET/PT)
“Legendary Sandwich” – Wanting to get rid of the other Titans so she can watch her favorite cartoon in peace, Raven sends them to the ends of the universe on a quest for the ingredients to make a legendary magical sandwich with the secret of eternal life.
“Pie Bros” – Cyborg’s birthday is coming up, so Beast Boy takes a job at their favorite pie shop so he can afford an expensive gift. But when he has to work during Cyborg’s party, his job threatens to come between the two pie bros.

Teen Titans Go!
Tuesday, April 30th, 2013 at 7:30pm (ET/PT)
“Driver’s Ed” – The Titans get sick and tired of driving Robin around after his license is revoked. He enrolls in a driver’s ed course, not knowing that the instructor is a crook using Robin as his getaway driver.
“Raven’s Daddy Dearest”– Raven’s demon dad Trigon comes to visit and wins over her friends in an effort to get her to embrace dark magic and become evil like him.

Series Description:
Teen Titans Go! features the return of Robin, Starfire, Raven, Beast Boy and Cyborg in all-new, comedic adventures. Character-driven comedy is the order of the day as this new take on the super hero series focuses on the funny business that happens between saving the world and living together as teenagers without adult supervision. They may be super heroes who save the world every day … but somebody still has to do the laundry! With the ability to turn into any animal or detach their robotic limbs, teenage pranks reach a whole new level. And even super heroes have to take Driver’s Ed. to get a license – especially after wrecking the Batmobile on an unauthorized joy ride to impress a girl!
Admittedly, the implication that they're splitting episodes into two segments bodes a little better than wondering how they were going to string the same joke along for a full half hour.

World's Finest also has the title sequence (which apparently hasn't made its way onto YouTube just yet), which...is concerning.

Instead of pondering that too hard, let's have an interview with Khary Payton instead:

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:37 pm 
Site Admin

The Phiend wrote:
Admittedly, the implication that they're splitting episodes into two segments bodes a little better than wondering how they were going to string the same joke along for a full half hour.
...I take it back.

World's Finest wrote:
A representative for Cartoon Network confirmed for The World’s Finest that, as of the May 21st, 2013 episode of Teen Titans Go!, new 11-minute stories will be mixed with previously-run 11-minute stories in an effort to stretch the new content out over a longer period of time. Some episodes will still feature two new installments back-to-back, but the majority of Teen Titans Go! episodes will now feature one new story paired with a previously-run story. The previously-aired story “Legendary Sandwich” will run with the May 21st, 2013 episode debut “Ghost Boy,” and “Pie Bros” will run with the new installment “La Larva Amor” on May 28th, 2013.
So they're only going to make it four episodes before they start re-running their own segments? Really? I mean geez, it was nine episodes (and a preemption) before they started that with Young Justice....

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:30 am 

The Phiend wrote:
So they're only going to make it four episodes before they start re-running their own segments? Really? I mean geez, it was nine episodes (and a preemption) before they started that with Young Justice....

I'll give TTG until October before they announce its cancellation. :?

About the new show itself: I've seen a few episodes, and it's... okay, I guess. :| I mean, I recognise it for what it is: it's good entertainment for kiddies, the original voice cast is back complete with their personalities, and it's a bit random. But the animation quality has suffered, the show feels like a step down in so many ways and everyone's riding the crazy train. It's not totally terrible, but it ain't the same is what I'm saying.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:58 am 
Site Admin

snowman1989 wrote:
About the new show itself: I've seen a few episodes, and it's... okay, I guess. :| I mean, I recognise it for what it is: it's good entertainment for kiddies, the original voice cast is back complete with their personalities, and it's a bit random. But the animation quality has suffered, the show feels like a step down in so many ways and everyone's riding the crazy train. It's not totally terrible, but it ain't the same is what I'm saying.
Yeah, I pretty much agree. Some of the humor is a bit too subtle to be considered "kiddie" entertainment IMO, and that's good, but no, aside from the voice cast, it...really ain't the same.

Personally I think it'd be a lot more agreeable if it didn't stray quite so far into the realm of fundamental self-parody.

Oh well. I guess it's as Starfire just said: "Haters gonna hate."

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:17 pm 
Global Moderator

Yeah, I'll say it.... it's terrible. A travesty and disrespectful to the original run of Teen Titans.

Attachments:
File comment: As you said tho...
dec9efebc24d6c603db576ec14f53e04.jpg
dec9efebc24d6c603db576ec14f53e04.jpg [ 111.07 KiB | Viewed 2740 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:11 am 
Site Admin

After some reflection on the new TTG! cartoon, I have arrived at two conclusions.

1: Starfire has suffered the least in the transition. She's almost always entertaining, even in the really lame episodes. (Or maybe I just missed her more than I realized? o_o )

2: The episodes written by Amy Wolfram, who was in my opinion the best writer on the previous TT animated series, are actually worth watching. The rest...not so much. :|

Also, one thing I forgot to point out before:
The Phiend wrote:
And Young Justice didn't use cheap-ass Flash animation, either. Yet, somehow, they seem to have been making this work and avoiding any substantial production hurdles (gee, go figure :roll: ).