Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Suicide Squad
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:15 am 
Contributing Staff

We now have our first image of Jared Leto in make-up as Joker, so I figured I'd go ahead and start this topic before any of y'all do. :P

[Reveal] Spoiler: Joker

Post subject: Re: Suicide Squad
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:19 am 
Site Admin

I'm...really not quite sure what to think about this. o_o

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:25 pm 
Global Moderator

Not judging until I actually see him in action.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:37 am 
Contributing Staff

CWS wrote:
I'm...really not quite sure what to think about this. o_o

As an FYI, I think the tattoos are fake, for the purpose of publicity photos, and not actually a part of the Joker's look. He will, however, have the teeth, presumably from where Batman or someone smashed 'em in.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:23 pm 
Contributing Staff

[Reveal] Spoiler: The gang

Killer Croc, eh?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:17 am 
Site Admin

Loki Kola wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler: The gang

So, according to the New York Daily News...
Quote:
The cast from left to right, includes Adam Beach (character unknown presently), Jai Courtney (Captain Boomerang), Cara Delevingne (Enchantress), Karen Fukuhara (Katana), Joel Kinnaman (Rick Flagg), Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie), Will Smith (Deadshot), Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (Killer Croc), and Jay Hernandez (El Diablo).
So...huh. o_o

Don't get me wrong, they look good, I just...don't know how this is supposed to actually work, is all.

The Guardians of the Galaxy, basically a bunch of criminals thrown together in the right place at the right time to confront a threat to the entire universe, were one thing. But these characters are all very well-established, hardcore and (at least to the best of my knowledge) totally unrepentant villains. Most of whom are not only not team players, they are actively (and in the Joker's case, quite gleefully) the total opposite.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:19 am 
Contributing Staff

No idea. Depends what the carrot on the stick is. For Joker, it's probably the knowledge that he'll be somehow able to cause total and utter chaos as a part of this 'team'. He's probably been added for the fact that he's a total lunatic who is, at the same time, capable of careful and deliberate planning, if the end result is something that he finds hilarious. He's also brilliantly insightful, so he's likely the element that creates the team from the individuals, because his plan will have planned for them being selfish, ruthless, and unrepentant in their desire to serve themselves. So if Deadshot decides to go and kill someone outside the plan, Joker will have taken that into account, alongside Harley trying to stop him for Mr J, etc. I believe that's the Joker's role in all this: creating order out of chaos, for the purpose of chaos. Think of how elaborate and thought-out his plans were in Dark Knight, and how well he accounted for Batman's personality and thought patterns, alongside Dent's desire for revenge, what SWAT would do in a hostage situation, etc.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:01 am 
Site Admin

Loki Kola wrote:
No idea. Depends what the carrot on the stick is. For Joker, it's probably the knowledge that he'll be somehow able to cause total and utter chaos as a part of this 'team'. He's probably been added for the fact that he's a total lunatic who is, at the same time, capable of careful and deliberate planning, if the end result is something that he finds hilarious. He's also brilliantly insightful, so he's likely the element that creates the team from the individuals, because his plan will have planned for them being selfish, ruthless, and unrepentant in their desire to serve themselves. So if Deadshot decides to go and kill someone outside the plan, Joker will have taken that into account, alongside Harley trying to stop him for Mr J, etc. I believe that's the Joker's role in all this: creating order out of chaos, for the purpose of chaos. Think of how elaborate and thought-out his plans were in Dark Knight, and how well he accounted for Batman's personality and thought patterns, alongside Dent's desire for revenge, what SWAT would do in a hostage situation, etc.
While all of that is true and entirely possible, you also have to remember that one of the Joker's very favorite jokes is the part where he totally and completely screws over anyone and everyone dumb enough to actually follow him, often to their deaths. And that includes Harley. Maybe not the "death" component specifically in her case, at least not yet, although it hasn't been for any lack of trying on the Joker's part. If you look at any of the comics or other media the Joker has played a prominent role in -- The Dark Knight, Arkham Asylum, Arkham City, etc. -- a strong case can be made that working for the Joker is nearly as dangerous as being one of his victims, and the line between the two often blurs. Particularly in Harley's case.

By the way, he has been portrayed before in some of the comics as being heavily tattooed, so it wouldn't surprise me if that first photo does in fact reflect his "final" look in the movie.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:23 am 
Global Moderator

This movie looks like a train wreck. That Katana outfit looks... really cartoony to me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:18 am 
Site Admin

So Loki sent me the link to the trailer from Comic-Con the day before yesterday, and yet for some inexplicable reason I'm the one posting it here. WTFZOMGBBQ TK

I must admit that it looks much better than I expected it to.

Except they should have used Faith No More's version of "I Started A Joke". But, that aside...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:21 pm 
Global Moderator

I still think it looks less than stellar, but we shall see!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:50 pm 

I suppose I should add my five cents worth since everyone else has already provided a few bucks. I'm not so good with the metaphors. :?

First, I'm a little confused as to why Katana's part of the Squad. She's supposed to be a hero... well, anti-heroish (she is a killer), and she doesn't like villains. REALLY doesn't like them. As in, she has a permanent personal vendetta against them. By the by, her sword is called Soultaker and like the name says, it absorbs the souls of every person she's ever killed. Being surrounded by hardened criminals... I can't see her maintaining a solid composure for too long before lashing out.

And Will Smith as Deadshot? Could be an inspired choice, but I feel this is just an attempt for him to have us forget he was in After Birth. :lol:

So we have a new Joker after nearly a decade... fuck it's been that long already? :shock: I currently don't know what to make of this guy. He could be godawful, but then again everyone was talking smack about Heath Ledger before we saw his whole performance in Dark Knight. He's certainly disturbing to look at.

I'm also keeping an eye on Enchantress. If this silver screen version is anything like the comicbook version, shit is going to hit the fucking fan. She's a spellcaster of immense power, and she may also be possessed. Think of Raven. Now think of her as completely batshit insane with a pathological hatred of mankind. Having her in the Suicide Squad alongside other scumbag men that would only reinforce her misandrist ideas? Nothing bad could possibly come of this!

Yup. Between Enchantress and Katana alone, not to mention the insane psychiatrist, the suicidal gunman, that obnoxious Australian, the misanthropic croc mutant, the pyro and uhh...... whoever the fuck Shoetie is....I can already tell this team is built to succeed. :rbg:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:53 am 
Site Admin

snowman1989 wrote:
Yup. Between Enchantress and Katana alone, not to mention the insane psychiatrist, the suicidal gunman, that obnoxious Australian, the misanthropic croc mutant, the pyro and uhh...... whoever the fuck Shoetie is....I can already tell this team is built to succeed. :rbg:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:39 am 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
Dawn of Justice looks great, Suicide Squad looks god awful.
You know what...? I'm actually starting to look forward to it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:23 pm 
Global Moderator

Nothing about that trailer makes me want to see that film at all.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:34 am 
Site Admin

Another new trailer, this one goes much further than the others in setting up the actual, logical rationale behind the entire concept.

As someone who was initially extremely skeptical about this movie, I've been trying to puzzle out exactly why I now find myself looking forward to it, and in the process I've come to a realization. Ever since the mid-1960s, Marvel has overtaken DC and dominated their share of the comic book market largely by beating DC at their own game, presenting a "fresh" take on the entire superhero genre that's forced DC to play catch-up ever since, with limited success. I think one of the biggest reasons for this is that, broadly speaking, while DC's roster of heroes may be more iconic, Marvel's roster is simply more interesting. As much as I might personally love a number of DC characters, in attempting any sort of objective comparison of the two lineups, I wouldn't even try to argue that. Compare the Justice League to the Avengers. Or compare the X-Men to...well, DC really doesn't even have a working analog to that, which underscores my point.

Having said that, I think when you compare DC's roster of villains to Marvel's lineup, the situation reverses itself. DC's villains are some of their most iconic and most interesting characters, and may in fact be one of the company's biggest strengths. Just Batman's enemies alone are practically beyond compare, and so the prospect of several of them essentially getting their own movie, here, is one I now find surprisingly exciting.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:49 pm 
Global Moderator

Nope, still think it looks terrible.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:02 am 
Site Admin

Well, I went to the movie tonight and without spoiling anything...overall, I liked it.

I didn't love it; DC really needs to hire better writers if they ever hope to compete with Marvel on the big screen again. But it's entertaining enough to pass muster. Better than Dawn of Justice, in my opinion, though it still suffers from some of the same flaws in terms of both its writing and its pacing.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot to mention one other oddity...there was a lot of stuff in the earlier trailers that evidently ended up getting cut from the actual movie. That's a somewhat troubling trend, with the third Hobbit movie having also been a particularly egregious offender in this vein.

Last edited by CWS on Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
That segment of the bar scene that's in most of the recent-ish trailers is missing entirely.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:44 pm 
Global Moderator

The part in your edit tag was actually the ONLY thing I found entertaining in any of the trailers. Thank you for cementing the fact that I don't want to see it. Along with every other review that said its a Will Smith movie and that he's a god awful Deadshot.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:08 pm 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
The part in your edit tag was actually the ONLY thing I found entertaining in any of the trailers. Thank you for cementing the fact that I don't want to see it. Along with every other review that said its a Will Smith movie and that he's a god awful Deadshot.
I can't really dispute that. Personally, my main reasons (and, I suspect, most others' as well) for wanting to see it were the new Joker and Harley.