Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: Young Justice animated series
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:40 am 
Site Admin

Well I just finished catching up on the remainder of the series, and man oh man. Over the entire course of this series, every single time I thought they'd raised the bar to a whole new level, they then proceeded to top themselves again and again and again. And even though Cartoon Network pulled the rug out from under them, they continued to maintain that same level of visual quality, superb writing, deep characterization and attention to detail right up until the very last frame. I'm still in awe of how brilliantly this entire series was executed.

And you know what else? Even in spite of everything, I think they ended on the perfect note. I'll miss the show, but the finale was thoroughly satisfying and didn't leave me feeling cheated in the least. They even managed to pull that off.

So there.

snowman1989 wrote:
And this is where Young Justice ends. It was fun while it lasted, and I am so not ever forgiving CN for the crap they've done. This is well and truly the last straw. They are like the EA of cable TV.
While I sympathize with your frustration, uh...what are you planning to do, exactly? :|

Last edited by CWS on Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wrong punctuation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:43 pm 
Site Admin

The show's lead character designer gives us one last parting gift. And what a gift it is... 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:25 pm 
Global Moderator

So what happened with the meeting to decide if the show might continue via kickstarter?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:25 am 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
So what happened with the meeting to decide if the show might continue via kickstarter?
Don't know, haven't heard anything yet...though I only knew about the meeting and not the Kickstarter part, so your guess is probably as good as mine!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:28 am 
Global Moderator

It may not have been kickstarter, but a crowd sourced funding deal, at any rate.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:15 pm 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
The original source, a tweet about the meeting from the party claiming to be approaching WB, has been deleted. It appears to have been the hoax/scam some suspected it was.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:50 am 
Global Moderator

That's really a shame. :( Even Crispin Freeman was talking about it leading up to it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
That's really a shame. :( Even Crispin Freeman was talking about it leading up to it.

And I've been seeing pictures of Nolan North holding up a cardboard sign that reads WILL VOICE SUPERBOY FOR FOOD. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
Well, it's not like there's only a single organization that could do this kind of thing....Besides which, smgo.tv rates high on my "scam" senses.

To cut to the chase here, here's a reference to the meeting thing, with tweets cited. Note that use the standard format where the date links directly to the tweet, and the tweet from Giancarlo Volpe (Executive Producer on Green Lantern: The Animated Series, which is Young Justice's brother-in-arms in the dropped-by-Cartoon-Network thing) links to the tweet itself, whereas the one by smgo.tv (which is the one that cites the April 11th meeting)...gets you a "page doesn't exist" message, in line with the deletion of a tweet. Outright purging of the reference does not exactly instil a sense of confidence....

And in general, smgo.tv's model...looks problematic, even if one assumes a lack of malicious intent.
  • They created their own crowdfunding platform, because they would not accept a platform such as Kickstarter that charges a percentage fee on funding for a successful project.
    • Their FAQ mentions they expect costs to be million dollars or more higher with such a fee. Kickstarter's fee is 5%, so they're expecting to need to raise $20 million dollars on average. For comparison, the frequently referenced Veronica Mars movie Kickstarter had a goal of $2 million (that was met in less than a day), and ended with a total of $5.7 million. (The Veronica Mars movie also "happened" to have been headed by the show's creator.)
  • Their sole source of income is paid advertisements on streaming of the final produced shows on their site...to people who didn't fund the project.
    • Since they also claim that the production studios retain their syndication rights (ie they can air the show on other networks), their advertising model appears to be "people who know enough about the show to watch it on smgo.tv, but didn't care enough to help fund its current season". Excluding people who are probably the show's preferred audience simply can't help with the targeted advertising the site claims is one of their key benefits for advertisers.
  • A brief look through their twitter feed indicates they've tried to actively trigger a renewal effort on their site prior to the network's renewal decision.
    • Not exactly a sign of good faith....And arousing suspicion in a cast member for a show you want to renew is never a good sign. (And the flow of tweets suggests, again, that smgo.tv deleted a tweet)
  • Their presentation is disjointed. Their website doesn't have a link to their Twitter account, and a project update on their Facebook page hasn't been put on the website for that project.
    • Disorganization when it comes to their own website, which they have full control over, raises concerns about how prudently they can act when other parties have a stake involved...like working out a contract for renewal of a show.
  • Their "product", as they call it, has existed for 32 days. They currently have two of six shows that have passed their "voting" stage; they haven't opening a single thing up for fundraising yet.
    • No track record and a bad first impression? Not a winning combo.

All in all, "rank incompetence" is the most charitable description I can go with.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

Well then, here's something a bit more optimistic and authoritative:

I wrote:
Could there be any possibility of future direct-to-DVD YJ releases, or other animated stories told in the YJ continuity? You all obviously put so much more work and thought into the setting, background and history than could ever be fully conveyed in a half-hour episodic TV series, it would really be a shame for it to just fade away completely.
Some of us have discussed the possibility, and we have hopes we may be able to work on it again at some point. You never know what may happen in the future. In the meantime thank you so much for your kind words. ;)

No, it isn't a definitive "yes" or "no", but frankly it's more than I expected to get!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

FYI: the final YJ DVD came out this week.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:07 pm 
Site Admin

Well, this is kinda cool.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:00 pm 
Global Moderator

Wish they'd put it out on BluRay.... once I saw it in HD... I can't go back to SD...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:23 am 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
Wish they'd put it out on BluRay.... once I saw it in HD... I can't go back to SD...

Would be cool, I'm sure, but if history is any indicator, the likelihood of that happening is pretty much nil.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:52 am 
Global Moderator

Yeah, which sadly means my chance of purchasing it is pretty much nil.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:25 pm 
Global Moderator

IT'S BACK BABY!

http://deadline.com/2016/11/young-justi ... 201850391/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:11 am 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:

(Also, looking back at the prior posts, I thought I should note for the record that the entire series has in fact been released on Blu-Ray for some time, on the off chance anyone was unaware of that.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13