Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: X-Men: Apocalypse
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
A friend of mine gave a few interesting thoughts. All guys who are on Arrow right now. Stephen Amell(Oliver Queen), Colton Haynes(Roy Harper) or Manu Bennett(Slade Wilson). Stephen and Colton are pretty young, but they def. are good action guys who actually come off tough. And well, Manu was Slade Wilson, so he's got that down.

Re: re-casting Wolverine...I can't believe I didn't think of this before now: Jon Bernthal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:45 pm 
Global Moderator

CWS wrote:
Zanth wrote:
A friend of mine gave a few interesting thoughts. All guys who are on Arrow right now. Stephen Amell(Oliver Queen), Colton Haynes(Roy Harper) or Manu Bennett(Slade Wilson). Stephen and Colton are pretty young, but they def. are good action guys who actually come off tough. And well, Manu was Slade Wilson, so he's got that down.

Re: re-casting Wolverine...I can't believe I didn't think of this before now: Jon Bernthal.

Funny you mention him, he just was confirmed as a much more fitting Marvel character, Punisher.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:51 am 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
CWS wrote:
Zanth wrote:
Funny you mention him, he just was confirmed as a much more fitting Marvel character, Punisher.
I noticed that, which was what led me to think of it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:45 am 
Site Admin

So...in the extras with the extended "Rogue Cut" of Days of Future Past, screenwriter/producer Simon Kinberg describes this movie, specifically and repeatedly, as "The Age of Apocalypse". :shock:

So I guess that answers that, doesn't it...?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:19 am 
Site Admin

Entertainment Weekly has published a handful of new production photos from the set of Apocalypse.

I will readily admit, that first one...is a little bit "iffy", to put it nicely. But I have confidence that everything will ultimately come together in the end.

Also: mohawk Storm!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:42 am 
Site Admin

Back to the topic of Wolverine re-casting, Jackman himself just floated Tom Hardy's name. And I must admit, after watching Mad Max: Fury Road (which is incredible, BTW)...I could see it.

Hardy is 5'9", which is still six inches taller than Wolverine is canonically, but at least he's under six feet.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:09 pm 
Global Moderator

I could see that, never thought of him.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:48 am 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:37 pm 
Contributing Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:50 am 
Site Admin

Looks like they're gonna be using a little bit o' CGI, eh? :P

I do have to say, however, that I think Apocalypse looks better every time I see him. My doubts on that particular front, at least, are diminishing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

Now THAT'S what the hell I'm talkin' about.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:21 pm 

Meanwhile, DC is on suicide watch. :P I actually feel kind of sorry for them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:28 pm 
Site Admin

snowman1989 wrote:
Well, to be fair, the most recent Dawn of Justice trailers have looked much better than expected...but I guess we'll have to wait and see the final result for ourselves.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:41 am 
Global Moderator

CWS wrote:
snowman1989 wrote:
Well, to be fair, the most recent Dawn of Justice trailers have looked much better than expected...but I guess we'll have to wait and see the final result for ourselves.

Dawn of Justice looks great, Suicide Squad looks god awful.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:11 am 
Site Admin

Here is the "final" trailer for Apocalypse.

I'm immensely gratified that they're acknowledging Quicksilver's paternity, among other things. Wonder if they'll address Nightcrawler's...?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:52 am 
Site Admin

With the movie slated to open toward the end of this month, I've updated the original post with what should be the final cast listing.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:30 am 
Site Admin

Oh dear.

As deliberately corny as this is, and as much as I want to hate it, I...just...can't.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:19 am 
Site Admin

I appear to have forgotten to comment on the movie after having seen it. :oops:

[Reveal] Spoiler: X-Men: Apocalypse
After a short glimpse of Apocalypse at the height of his power in ancient Egypt, the movie skips forward to 1983, ten years after the events of Days of Future Past. Xavier's school is thriving. Magneto has spent the past decade hiding in Poland under a false identity as a steel worker, and has a wife and a young daughter who is also a mutant with the ability to influence animals. A young Cyclops manifests his powers for the first time, and is promptly taken to Xavier's school by his brother, Havok, where he meets "problem child" Jean Grey. Mystique has spent the past decade traveling around the world disguised as Jennifer Lawrence and elbowing guys in the face. She rescues a young Nightcrawler from a cage fight with Angel in Berlin, takes him to get a passport from Caliban, and then eventually to Xavier's.

An archeological dig, witnessed by Moira MacTaggert, accidentally awakens Apocalypse, who triggers a global earthquake in the process of freeing himself from his buried tomb. In Poland, Magneto is forced to use his powers to prevent a co-worker from being killed by falling equipment knocked loose by the quake; his other "comrades" witness this, figure out who he is, and send the police to his house later. Naturally, this leads to tragedy and bloodshed. Meanwhile, Apocalypse wanders the streets of Cairo, where he quickly recruits a teenage Storm as his first disciple. Then he absorbs both language and knowledge of current world events from the television, and immediately decides the world must be "cleansed". With Storm in tow, he recruits Psylocke and Angel (who happens to be listening to Metallica's "The Four Horsemen" at the time, which is a nice touch) and upgrades each of their powers, transforming Angel into Archangel in the process.

Across the ocean, Xavier and company have learned about Apocalypse from Moira, and Charles uses Cerebro to telepathically reach out to Magneto, who has already been recruited as the final Horseman. Apocalypse taps into their link and, through Xavier and Cerebro, is able to take control of key military personnel worldwide, and immediately launches the planet's entire nuclear arsenal into space. Havok destroys Cerebro, breaking the link, but Apocalypse and his Horsemen teleport to the X-Mansion and abduct Xavier so that Apocalypse can transfer his consciousness into the professor's body, and thus gain his powers, which will allow him to easily subjugate the entire human race. While trying to stop them, Havok accidentally causes an explosion which destroys the entire mansion, but the timely arrival of Quicksilver saves everyone inside but Havok, who is presumably killed in the blast. Then Col. Stryker shows up for some reason to kidnap Moira, Beast, Mystique, and Quicksilver, and take them to his secret facility in Canada where the Weapon X project is well underway. Cyclops, Jean and Nightcrawler hitch a ride on their helicopter and manage to save the day with the help of an obligatory -- but very well-executed, nonetheless -- cameo appearance by a certain hairy Canucklehead.

The group steals one of Stryker's planes and flies off to Cairo, where Apocalypse is building his temple and using Magneto's enhanced powers to literally tear out the foundations of the entire civilized world. Mass destruction ensues, Xavier loses his hair, and other convoluted stuff happens, but the final confrontation makes it all worthwhile in the end.

I did like the movie overall, but naturally, I do have some personal gripes. Apocalypse is actually quite a bit less powerful than he is in the comics, believe it or not, but Oscar Isaac's portrayal of him is superb, which is particularly noteworthy when one considers how ridiculous he might have come off, otherwise. On a similar note, although it wasn't a huge role, Olivia Munn worked surprisingly well as Psylocke, though of course it bugs me that she wasn't British. Also, strangely, the movie depicts her powers as being entirely physical and Jean as being a powerful telepath; in the comics this was reversed, with Psylocke being a potent telepath and Jean being a massively powerful telekinetic with latent telepathic abilities. It also irks me that Archangel wasn't blue, and that Apocalypse's technology was never explained. Quicksilver's expanded role was a very welcome thing, but I was sad to see Havok go out like that; I've always liked him more than his brother (though he's actually supposed to be the younger of the two o_o ). This new Storm is a huge improvement however, and Kodi Smit-McPhee was terrific, if somewhat underused, as Nightcrawler. And speaking of underused...yet again, Jubilee got what barely amounted to more than a cameo. :( She actually has more lines in that cheesy-ass PSA than she has in the movie itself, where her biggest scene was debating the merits of Return of the Jedi vs. Empire Strikes Back with Scott. I guess Bryan Singer must simply not be a fan. Sigh. :cry:

Oh yeah, it's also worth noting that while both X-Men: First Class and Days of Future Past contradicted both the third X-Men movie and the first Wolverine movie in certain ways, this film actually goes much further and completely erases the Wolverine "Origins" movie from any possible continuity altogether.

My personal verdict: Good, but nowhere near the level of Days of Future Past (although, that was an exceptionally high bar to reach). The plot feels somewhat contrived in places (especially that one particular "detour"), and as always I thought there were some huge missed opportunities with many characters. However, the movie's climax and the final showdown with Apocalypse is thoroughly satisfying.