Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: X-Men: First Class
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:10 am 
Site Admin

Yes, there's another X-Men movie in the works. I know, after the last two, the natural response is revulsion. But this is going to a whole different thing.

Bryan Singer returns to the X-Men movie franchise with a prequel set in the 1960s, and the first trailer looks very, very good.

Post subject: Re: X-Men: First Class
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:00 pm 
Site Admin

Well I finally managed to see this today, and I enjoyed it tremendously. I would be very comfortable ranking it right alongside the first two in terms of quality.

The casting was inspired, and overall, the character selections made perfect sense for the particular time setting. And I have to admit that, although I generally dislike him as an actor, Kevin Bacon was a great choice for Sebastian Shaw. At least we never actually saw Kevin's Bacon on-screen in this movie, unlike seemingly most of his other roles. :P I must also give this movie credit for accomplishing something that none of the other movies, any of the comics, or any other form of X-media has ever achieved: it actually made me like Mystique. And she is a character I have always, always, always actively disliked.

There were a couple of...character/continuity oddities, or at least things that seemed weird from the perspective of someone who was once highly immersed in the comics' extensive history. The most visible of those being Moira MacTaggert recast as a CIA vixen, rather than a Scottish scientist; Banshee not being Irish or a cop; and Havok (Cyclops' younger brother) being, well, alive in 1962. But those are minor head-scratchers and hardly detracted from my overall enjoyment of the movie.

So, yes. Definitely like.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:24 am 
Global Moderator

I didn't care for their casting of Xavier, personally. Not that I think the actor is bad, I just don't think he was a good choice for Xavier. Also... I don't see Xavier, well, abusing his power like he did towards the beginning of the film. Otherwise, it was quite an enjoyable film. After all the crap they pulled with changing this and that around tho(in the third movie, especially), I guess it's fairly minor.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:22 pm 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
I didn't care for their casting of Xavier, personally. Not that I think the actor is bad, I just don't think he was a good choice for Xavier. Also... I don't see Xavier, well, abusing his power like he did towards the beginning of the film. Otherwise, it was quite an enjoyable film. After all the crap they pulled with changing this and that around tho(in the third movie, especially), I guess it's fairly minor.

I like to pretend there was no third movie.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:38 pm 
Contributing Staff

What, pretend there's no X-Men Origins: Wolverine? How could you forget that X-Men Origins: Wolverine directly succeeds X-Men 2 and directly precedes X-Men: First Class? What are you, insane?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:41 am 
Site Admin

Loki Kola wrote:
What, pretend there's no X-Men Origins: Wolverine? How could you forget that X-Men Origins: Wolverine directly succeeds X-Men 2 and directly precedes X-Men: First Class? What are you, insane?

Cute. :P

For the record I never even bothered watching that one, so as far as I'm concerned, it may as well not exist either.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:53 am 

its not a good movie
quiet boring 2 on 5