Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: X-Men: Days of Future Past
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:57 am 
Site Admin

So this has been in development for quite some time: a new X-Men movie, once again directed by Bryan Singer, which will unite the casts of both Singer's original two films and 2011's X-Men: First Class, in what promises to be a truly epic adaptation of one of the most groundbreaking and iconic storylines from the original comics. There have been a few teaser images and a promotional poster released to the public, but until now, there hasn't been an actual trailer.

Until now.

I can't really think of much to say that could possibly add to that.

Last edited by CWS on Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remembered that we actually had a thread for First Class.

Post subject: Re: X-Men: Days of Future Past
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:10 am 
Site Admin

Loki pointed out to me that one of Magneto's Acolytes shown toward the beginning of the trailer appears to be Bishop, and Flickster's cast roster for the movie includes Quicksilver. So that's interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:44 am 
Contributing Staff

Yet another one of those excellent trailers I've watched about 40 times. :?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:38 am 
Site Admin

Loki Kola wrote:
Yet another one of those excellent trailers I've watched about 40 times. :?
Not coincidentally, apparently Bryan Singer said that he was really impressed by the trailers for Man of Steel and wanted to do something like that with this one.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

A few days ago, Bryan Singer cryptically tweeted the following:
Bryan Singer wrote:
#Xmen #Apocalypse 2016!
It has since been confirmed that this was an announcement of the next X-Men film, to follow Days of Future Past, which will premiere in 2016.

The sequence here is very intriguing. Singer's tweet obviously suggests that the next movie will involve the uber-powerful X-villain Apocalypse. But the fact that he's already dropping hints about it now, prior to the release of Days of Future Past, leads one to wonder if it will be an adaptation of the wildly popular Age of Apocalypse storyline, which was easily the brightest point of the otherwise dreary post-Claremont era that was the latter half of the '90s.

And the nature of that story is what makes the sequence of these films so intriguing. For those who don't know or remember, Age of Apocalypse was an alternate timeline from the previously established continuity of all the X-books at the time...and it is a scenario that could potentially be created as a result of the DoFP movie, depending on the way events play out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:43 am 
Contributing Staff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

Loki Kola wrote:

Last edited by CWS on Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Actually, better yet...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:38 pm 
Global Moderator

I'm more excited about Lauren Cohen in that top than the trailer. But the trailer looks great too.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:51 am 
Site Admin

CWS wrote:
A few days ago, Bryan Singer cryptically tweeted the following:
Bryan Singer wrote:
#Xmen #Apocalypse 2016!
It has since been confirmed that this was an announcement of the next X-Men film, to follow Days of Future Past, which will premiere in 2016.

The sequence here is very intriguing. Singer's tweet obviously suggests that the next movie will involve the uber-powerful X-villain Apocalypse. But the fact that he's already dropping hints about it now, prior to the release of Days of Future Past, leads one to wonder if it will be an adaptation of the wildly popular Age of Apocalypse storyline, which was easily the brightest point of the otherwise dreary post-Claremont era that was the latter half of the '90s.

And the nature of that story is what makes the sequence of these films so intriguing. For those who don't know or remember, Age of Apocalypse was an alternate timeline from the previously established continuity of all the X-books at the time...and it is a scenario that could potentially be created as a result of the DoFP movie, depending on the way events play out.

I've learned a bit more about this over the past couple days, and was just discussing it with Loki after having finally seen Captain America: The Winter Soldier this afternoon (and it was spectacular).
Quote:
(1:04:40 AM) CWS: I've also found out a couple of additional details about the next X-movie (Apocalypse), which strongly suggest that it will, in fact, be the Age of Apocalypse storyline in essence...except in the '80s for some reason. o_o
(1:07:32 AM) CWS: Actually the reason is fairly apparent: the First Class (past) cast will be taking over those roles going forward. So that means Days of Future Past will be the last movie in which Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen will portray Xavier and Magneto. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender will officially "own" them from here on, and Jennifer Lawrence will be Mystique from now on (which I frankly think is a huge improvement).
(1:10:05 AM) Loki Kola: Hmmmm, interesting
(1:12:10 AM) CWS: So it seems very likely that the events of the Days of Future Past movie will create a new timeline in which Apocalypse rises to prominence. The interesting thing about the Age of Apocalypse is that it was basically the reverse of the future scenario we'll be seeing in DoFP: a world where mutants are the oppressors, and "normal" humans are the oppressed.
(1:13:41 AM) CWS: In the comics, the AoA timeline was created when someone went back in time and assassinated Xavier before he formed the X-Men. In that scenario, it was ironically Magneto who had to become the defender of humanity against Apocalypse.
(1:14:16 AM) Loki Kola: Jesus
(1:14:19 AM) Loki Kola: Well
(1:14:21 AM) Loki Kola: Fuck
(1:14:25 AM) Loki Kola: But I like Xavier
(1:15:46 AM) CWS: Well it's unlikely that's going to happen here, since McAvoy is confirmed to be in the next movie. But it will probably be some variation of that scenario, perhaps with Xavier and Magneto forced to become allies again, as the trailers for DoFP have suggested.
(1:17:12 AM) CWS: Apocalypse is THE first mutant. He's several thousand years old, possesses alien technology and is ungodly powerful (and in fact WAS worshipped as a god by numerous primitive cultures).
(1:18:32 AM) CWS: His ideology is, really, Sebastian Shaw's and Magneto's taken to the furthest possible extreme. He's all about survival of the fittest, with the "fittest" being not only mutants, but the most powerful among them. Genocide is pretty much his main hobby.

Assuming my quoted speculations prove accurate, I think it's really fascinating to think that Singer will basically be exploring the same theme, but from opposing sides, in two sequential movies. If that does prove to be the case, his announcement of the Apocalypse movie before Days of Future Past has even premiered makes a lot more sense.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:46 pm 
Site Admin

This clip was posted a few days ago, it's said to be near the beginning of the movie.

I love the way Bishop's powers are depicted.

And now, just released tonight, may I present...the third and final trailer for Days of Future Past.

EDIT: A couple observations after a second viewing...
  • We see Xavier walking. This is surprising, to say the least, and I'm curious as to what the explanation will be.
  • So we're also going to see Wolverine's bone claws, too...sigh. I always thought that was a stupid idea, even when it was Barry Windsor-Smith's.

The confirmed cast of characters we'll be seeing in the movie, obviously the largest of any X-Men film to date, is as follows:
Future timeline: Professor X, Magneto, Iceman, Wolverine, Storm, Colossus, Shadowcat (Kitty Pryde), Sunspot, Warpath, Bishop, Blink, and a shitload of what appear to be Nimrod-class Sentinels, or an equivalent thereof.
Past timeline: Professor X, Magneto, Beast, Quicksilver, Mystique, Toad, Wolverine, Havok, William Stryker, Bolivar Trask and a shitload of much bigger, but obviously less advanced Sentinels. Oh, and Richard Nixon evidently. o_o

A couple of additional footnotes I forgot to mention about the Apocalypse movie. As previously mentioned, it will take place sometime in the 1980s (the past timeline in DoFP is at some point in the '70s), and Bryan Singer has mentioned that he'd like to include Nightcrawler and Gambit in that movie, among others. What with the timeline, I'd be surprised if Dazzler doesn't make an appearance also...because nothing would date it more firmly in the '80s than her. :lol:

Last edited by CWS on Fri May 23, 2014 10:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
X-tended notes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:19 am 
Contributing Staff

Maybe DoFP actually alters the First Class timeline so that Xavier isn't left crippled by Erik deflecting those bullets, causing the X-Men to abandon him or something: I mean, why the hell is Xavier sitting around in his mansion? If he can walk, it can't be he's feeling sorry for himself because of that. So...

Either the timeline's been altered from that point; or

Someone who can heal others with that degree of power is with Xavier in the past.

I guess Logan's in his old body, too. Hell, maybe the reason he tells Xavier and Erik to "go fuck" themselves in the first place is because he's aware he shouldn't be involved with them at that point =P

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

Loki Kola wrote:
Maybe DoFP actually alters the First Class timeline so that Xavier isn't left crippled by Erik deflecting those bullets, causing the X-Men to abandon him or something: I mean, why the hell is Xavier sitting around in his mansion? If he can walk, it can't be he's feeling sorry for himself because of that. So...

Either the timeline's been altered from that point; or

Someone who can heal others with that degree of power is with Xavier in the past.

I guess Logan's in his old body, too. Hell, maybe the reason he tells Xavier and Erik to "go fuck" themselves in the first place is because he's aware he shouldn't be involved with them at that point =P

Well, it seems unlikely that anything could or would have been changed prior to the point at which Xavier...psychically sends Wolverine back into his younger body (however that works), which appears to be a minimum of several years after the events of First Class. At least that's the impression I have from the trailers. And I think Logan's response to the short-lived recruitment attempt in the previous movie is primarily attributable to the simple fact that he's an asshole, as opposed to any knowledge of future events at that point. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:01 pm 
Site Admin

The movie has now opened, I just got home from seeing it, and it does indeed kick ass. Quite possibly the best X-Men movie to date, even if I thought some of the political tidbits were dumb (because I'm well aware I was probably going to end up thinking that no matter what :lol: ).

I don't intend to spoil anything major, but I'll still go ahead and use spoiler tags for the benefit of those who have yet to see the movie, and are planning to.
[Reveal] Spoiler: X-Men: Days of Future Past
  • The Nimrod Sentinels are really rather frightening, probably in part because we see them kill most of the main characters...repeatedly, and very, very violently. o_o So much so, in fact, that I'm surprised this movie is rated PG-13, and not R.
  • On a related note, the time travel mechanism used in this story is quite creative. Basically Kitty's powers have evolved to the point where she can effectively phase another person out of linear time, sending their consciousness back a few hours or days into their younger self, which is what has allowed the X-Men to evade the Sentinels for as long as they have. Xavier and Magneto come up with a plan to use this method to send Xavier back to 1973 in order to prevent Mystique from assassinating Trask, which was the event that truly launched the Sentinel program. But as it turns out, the only person who can survive such a long time displacement is Wolverine, due to his healing factor. So there we have the premise.
  • Xavier's ability to walk is explained early on, and is in fact a very significant and interesting plot point.
  • What became of the other First Class characters, aside from those who are in this movie, is also explained...and it's quite unpleasant.
  • What isn't explained are the backgrounds of Sunspot, Warpath, Bishop, and Blink. They're just kinda there. Which is unfortunate, because it feels like a missed opportunity (or several). But I suppose there's only so much you can do in one movie...
  • Quicksilver is fucking awesome. His personality is totally different from the comics, but then, this version of him is significantly younger, and also incredibly hilarious. And they DO hint at him being Magneto's son, which greatly appeases me. My only complaint where he's concerned is that I actually wish they'd done more with him than they did. It's going to be pretty hard for the "other" Quicksilver in Age of Ultron to measure up.
  • The biggest, and best, surprise in the movie is the ending. I really don't want to give away any details, but I have to say this much: the ending of this movie actually fixes everything that's been screwed up since the third X-Men movie, and it does so very pointedly. It's the best possible send-off they could have given to the old cast, and is totally and completely satisfying.
  • Does this mean that the next movie will not be an adaptation of the Age of Apocalypse, after all, then? It might...but not necessarily. We'll have to wait and see.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:21 am 
Global Moderator

Loved it.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:57 am 
Site Admin

One thing I find slightly baffling...how/why is it that Anna Paquin got sixth billing in the credits, when she wasn't even in the movie for a full six seconds? o_o

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:38 pm 
Global Moderator

CWS wrote:
One thing I find slightly baffling...how/why is it that Anna Paquin got sixth billing in the credits, when she wasn't even in the movie for a full six seconds? o_o

Lol! I made that same comment when we were waiting thru the credits. I don't think there was even any dialogue?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:48 am 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
CWS wrote:

Lol! I made that same comment when we were waiting thru the credits. I don't think there was even any dialogue?
Nope. Not a word.

Part of me wishes that someone had made the observation, at some point in the movie, that Wolverine has had the same haircut since the '60s. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:13 pm 
Global Moderator

It was a little more.... up? in the 70's period. And a touch of grey in the current time.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:30 am 
Site Admin

Looks like we finally have an official release date for the extended "Rogue Cut" of Days of Future Past: July 14th.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:36 am 

Yeah I completely agree that X-Men: Days of Future Past is just an amazing movie. It’s the best among whole series. All the x men characters are very interesting in this movie too. I watched it with my friends. Now we have been eagerly waiting for the next installment.