Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Star Wars: Rebels
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I caught the first episode of the new Star Wars CGI series this morning, and I have to admit that I'm impressed. It certainly seems to be a step up from The Clone Wars, with an entirely new and already interesting cast, and the fact that they're actually using the genuine Star Wars music again is also a plus.

Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Rebels
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:42 pm 
Global Moderator

I saw most of the episode when it aired Friday night. I enjoyed what I saw, but I'm far from ready to call it a step up from Clone Wars.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:37 am 

The second season's coming out this month. I've seen the first season, and thought it was okay, nothing spectacular. I can understand the smaller scale battles since the Empire virtually rules the galaxy and resistance is scattered into tiny pockets.

But now shit's about to get real. Apparently Kanan's gang has become enough of a nuisance to warrant sending Darth Vader in. :shock:

2:56 It was at this moment, that Kanan knew he fucked up.

The season starts out with a one hour special called the "Siege of Lothal," which had a premiere screening a month back for a few fans. By all accounts, I've heard nothing but praise for it because Vader beats the stuffing out of the rebels. :lol: Fun fact: Vader is voiced by James Earl Jones. :rbg:

And we have Rex and Ahsoka returning from Clone Wars. Judging from the fan squealing from the Rex reveal, I really need to watch the series to see what the hubbub is about. :|

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:33 am 

Posting here both to have some momentary relief from the grimdark situation of reality, and because I'm legitimately excited to see this new season's iconic villain back from purgatory: Grand Admiral Motherfucking Thrawn. :rbg:

A quick introduction for those unaware of his sheer awesomeness: First introduced in the book Heir to the Empire in 1991, Grand Admiral Thrawn is the Empire's greatest strategist and tactician, a man so talented at utterly wrecking the Rebel's shit that he is the only Imperial officer with the title of GRAND admiral. He's so powerful, he's just as much a threat as Darth Vader in military terms. And he's so indispensable to the xenophobic Emperor that the mere fact of him being an alien hasn't done anything to stop his meteoric rise. In short, if he's in your neighbourhood, your only sane option is to run as far away as possible, if not for the fact Thrawn's likely already 10 steps ahead of you. I'm saying you are fucked either way.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:27 am 
Site Admin

snowman1989 wrote:
Posting here both to have some momentary relief from the grimdark situation of reality, and because I'm legitimately excited to see this new season's iconic villain back from purgatory: Grand Admiral Motherfucking Thrawn. :rbg:
Holy shit, they're actually using Thrawn?! :shock: I thought he was erased from existence by Disney's stupid Revised Canonicity Death Star or whatever they've been using.
snowman1989 wrote:
A quick introduction for those unaware of his sheer awesomeness: First introduced in the book Heir to the Empire in 1991, Grand Admiral Thrawn is the Empire's greatest strategist and tactician, a man so talented at utterly wrecking the Rebel's shit that he is the only Imperial officer with the title of GRAND admiral. He's so powerful, he's just as much a threat as Darth Vader in military terms. And he's so indispensable to the xenophobic Emperor that the mere fact of him being an alien hasn't done anything to stop his meteoric rise. In short, if he's in your neighbourhood, your only sane option is to run as far away as possible, if not for the fact Thrawn's likely already 10 steps ahead of you. I'm saying you are fucked either way.
Especially if he's seen your art.

Another related footnote: Back in 1991 (and until quite recently, in fact) Timothy Zahn's "Thrawn trilogy" of novels were semi-officially considered to be Episodes VII, VIII, and IX.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:04 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a little surprised neither of you mentioned what are presumably Dark Troopers just before the 1:30 mark :P

CWS wrote:
Holy shit, they're actually using Thrawn?! :shock: I thought he was erased from existence by Disney's stupid Revised Canonicity Death Star or whatever they've been using.
Sounds like you're unfamiliar with their recanonizing theory :P Pretty much anything that was removed from canon became part of the Legends continuity, which (as the word "legends" implies) is on the same scale in the canon setting as legends are in the real world: stories which aren't necessary 100% accurate, but almost always have a basis in truth. Which of course makes it entirely reasonable for them to be recanonized with as many or as few changes as desired....

Basically, I think Disney didn't want to keep paying the guy/people whose job it was to resolve conflicts in LucasArt's multi-tiered canon scheme, so they're keeping canon in-house. The Star Wars movies, series, novels, games, comics, etc.--including the licensed works--were all canon under LucasArts; conflicting ancillary details between third-party novels came up quite easily.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:31 am 
Site Admin

The Phiend wrote:
I'm a little surprised neither of you mentioned what are presumably Dark Troopers just before the 1:30 mark :P
I didn't actually watch the trailer on account of the fact that I haven't caught up on the first two seasons yet. :oops:
The Phiend wrote:
CWS wrote:
Sounds like you're unfamiliar with their recanonizing theory :P
And I know you're not unfamiliar with the concept of humorous hyperbole, so what's your excuse? :P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

CWS wrote:
And I know you're not unfamiliar with the concept of humorous hyperbole, so what's your excuse? :P
Apparently I hold your hyperbole to too high a standard :P

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:01 pm 
Global Moderator

The Phiend wrote:

CWS wrote:
Sounds like you're unfamiliar with their recanonizing theory :P Pretty much anything that was removed from canon became part of the Legends continuity, which (as the word "legends" implies) is on the same scale in the canon setting as legends are in the real world: stories which aren't necessary 100% accurate, but almost always have a basis in truth. Which of course makes it entirely reasonable for them to be recanonized with as many or as few changes as desired....

Basically, I think Disney didn't want to keep paying the guy/people whose job it was to resolve conflicts in LucasArt's multi-tiered canon scheme, so they're keeping canon in-house. The Star Wars movies, series, novels, games, comics, etc.--including the licensed works--were all canon under LucasArts; conflicting ancillary details between third-party novels came up quite easily.

That's not entirely true. Force Unleashed was never considered canon in any way, shape or form. Several other games were not, either. But Disney did say that going forward all the novels, games, etc are canon. They kept just the six films and Clone Wars as canon when they wiped the EU. They did say, however, that they could pull anything from the Legends realm and make it canon.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
That's not entirely true. Force Unleashed was never considered canon in any way, shape or form. Several other games were not, either.
Hmm...OK, I checked again, and it turns out I was thrown off by the old multi-tiered canon scale including a tier specifically for non-canon; I mis-remembered it and thought it was a catchall for non-licensed works.

I still think such a dense structure was intended to allow declaring anything to be canon while simultaneously allowing any part of it to be ignored by something produced in a more Lucas-involved fashion...and the resulting mess is why Disney dumped it in favor of a more conventional "canon or not" scale.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:16 am 
Site Admin

I just think "Revised Canonicity Death Star" sounds better. :P