Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Star Wars: Rogue One
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:18 am 
Site Admin

How do we not have a thread for this yet? I must have dropped the ball. :oops:

Trailer 1:

Trailer 2:

:imyourdaddy:

Post subject: Re: Star Wars: Rogue One
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:18 am 

So we're having another prequel movie? :shock: :o

Mustnotpanicmustnotpanicmustnotpanic

Sorry, I was having a few... flashbacks. :oops: Only two things interest me here: the story behind how the Rebels got the original Death Star plans and seeing Vader on the big screen once again. Seriously though, this looks promising enough, but... well, the new trilogy hasn't gone off to a particularly strong start. Not terrible, but it isn't outstanding either. I can hardly remember most of it now. :|

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:42 pm 
Global Moderator

Force Awakens was fantastic! Can't wait for this one either. So nice to see Star Wars in capable hands.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:38 am 
Site Admin

Well, I just got home from the movie and it's really solid.
[Reveal] Spoiler: Rogue One
  • It's slightly jarring to see a Star Wars movie that doesn't open up with the familiar title theme and text crawl, but that's quickly forgotten once the story takes off, which it wastes no time in doing.
  • Darth Vader only has two scenes, which is slightly disappointing. Well, I guess three, if you count the much-speculated-about bacta tank scene from the trailer, which in hindsight was rather obvious.
  • That's the same number Bail Organa has, I just realized, with a visibly-older Jimmy Smits reprising his role from Episodes II and III. Which is awesome.
  • You know who has a lot more than two scenes? Governor Tarkin. :shock: But sadly he is not played by Wayne Pygram, as he was (very briefly) in Episode III. It's some other guy with Peter Cushing's face CG'ed over him.
  • The in-story explanation for the Death Star's infamous, fatal design flaw is rather interesting.
  • The movie actually takes place immediately prior to Episode IV. And by "immediately" I mean by the time the credits roll, there's only a few hours' difference in the timeline between them, at most.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:37 am 
Site Admin

So apparently, there is some percentage of rabid Trump fans who've decided to boycott Rogue One because somebody told them an utterly unfounded rumor about the movie supposedly containing anti-Trump messaging of some sort, or something.

Having actually watched the movie for myself, I can state with authority that this is 100% false. It's also an outstanding entry in the Star Wars canon, and if you pass it up solely because of some baseless crap you read on the Internet...frankly, you're an idiot.

I swear to God, some Trump supporters are absolutely the most pigheaded, willfully ignorant sheep I've ever encountered.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:30 am 
Site Admin

In hindsight, I realize I neglected to mention something rather important.
[Reveal] Spoiler: Rogue One
The film's most significant departure from the rest of the series is also its most interesting aspect. It explores the dark side of the Rebellion (yes, you read that correctly) in a way that is really unprecedented. First, we're shown for the first time that there were other factions of rebels outside of the Alliance, some of whom were actively shunned by it due to their extreme tactics or paranoia -- or, as in the case of Saw Gerrera's outfit, both. And it's a significant plot point that Cassian Andor has had to perform some very morally questionable actions in the name of the Rebel cause, up to and including the outright murder of civilians.

It's a very interesting and realistic exploration of a very real truth, that being that there is no such thing as a "clean" war. Some might be cleaner than others, certainly, but it's impossible to fight one without everyone involved getting their hands dirty, to one degree or another.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:05 pm 
Global Moderator

This may be my favorite Star Wars film to date.

I think a good part of what I love most about it is that it fully embraced the TV shows. Details below.

[Reveal] Spoiler: The TV Connections
First of all, Saw Gererra was in the Clone Wars series, fighting alongside Anakin when the Seperatists ousted his planet's ruler. Reaching back like that for a character is awesome.

Second, HOLY REBELS!

The first thing you see is a shot with Chopper wheeling by, and then the Ghost parked off to the left.

You also hear them paging General Syndulla to the briefing room.

And finally, you see the Ghost flying around a lot in the battle over Scarif.

How cool is that!?

Those things aside, I think Disney has a good grasp on the Star Wars franchise. This film was so much darker and grittier than all the other films. As mentioned, showing the things they did, and felt they had to do in order to fight the Empire was really cool. The characters were well fleshed out, the dialogue was far less cheesy than the old films, it was just good.

The characters we knew from Episode IV were also really cool. The CG they did on Tarkin was amazing. Utilizing unused footage from Ep 4 for Red Leader and Gold Leader was brilliant. It was really cool to see them there. I think Anthony Daniels by far has gotten the most work out of this franchise. 8 movies, 4 TV shows, numerous video games, theme park videos, and one god awful special. Hell, the only things I can think of that he was not in were the Ewok movies.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:55 pm 
Site Admin

I still haven't finished catching up on The Clone Wars, let alone Rebels, so I missed a bunch of those insane details. :oops: That is unbelievably cool.

I honestly don't remember, was Anthony Daniels in that ooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllldddddd Droids cartoon?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:36 am 
Global Moderator

CWS wrote:
I still haven't finished catching up on The Clone Wars, let alone Rebels, so I missed a bunch of those insane details. :oops: That is unbelievably cool.

I honestly don't remember, was Anthony Daniels in that ooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllldddddd Droids cartoon?

He was indeed. As well as both Clone Wars shows and Rebels.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:38 am 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
CWS wrote:

Man. Then yeah, that guy pretty much owes his entire career to George Lucas. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:20 pm 
Global Moderator

CWS wrote:
Zanth wrote:
CWS wrote:

Man. Then yeah, that guy pretty much owes his entire career to George Lucas. :lol:

He's one of the ones that seems to really love Star Wars. I can't think of a single thing where C-3P0 was voiced by anyone else. Including Star Tours at Disneyland, Radio Dramas, LEGO Star Wars games... flippin everything.