Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Tech Support Thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:15 pm 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
Lol, fair enough. :) Now I'm wondering if it worked or not, lol. I'd like a win here, since with customer's computers these past few days I'm batting zero, lol.
You got it!

Zanth wrote:
Edit 3: Another one I found has to do with that recover console.

It says once at the command prompt type:

cd\windows\system32\config

ren system system.bak

copy\windows\repair\system

Then it should copy the system folder off the recovery disk to your hdd.

Reboot and hope for the best.
It worked!! :rbg: THANK YOU, you guys really saved my ass!

Did have to reinstall a bunch of drivers and all Service Packs, and it seems to have also screwed up my drive letters somehow...still, at least I'm functional again, right?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

CWS wrote:
Did have to reinstall a bunch of drivers and all Service Packs, and it seems to have also screwed up my drive letters somehow...still, at least I'm functional again, right?
Well, I guess that isn't too surprising, the repair disc would of course have the original versions of the file; and with a name like "system" it's probably got all sorts of low-level stuff that the service packs updated, and I bet the drivers didn't appreciate having that changed on them.

But yes, functional is indeed glorious. 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:50 pm 
Global Moderator

Excellent! Glad it worked! I got one to work here since then as well, so my track record is getting better, lol. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:51 pm 
Site Admin

While it's a great relief to be able to type this from my own PC again, I remain perplexed as to what even happened in the first place. I hope I'm not on the verge of some sort of catastrophic hardware failure or something. :?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:21 am 
Site Admin

CWS wrote:
While it's a great relief to be able to type this from my own PC again, I remain perplexed as to what even happened in the first place. I hope I'm not on the verge of some sort of catastrophic hardware failure or something. :?
Could as simple as a crash or power-down occurring while a patch to the file was being applied, or perhaps the hard disk developed a bad sector that happened to be one used to store that file. In any case, unless there's a pattern I don't think there's any need to remain concerned; so unless you've had something like this happen with this hard drive before, there's nothing to warrant foreboding at this time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:18 am 
Site Admin

The Phiend wrote:
CWS wrote:
Could as simple as a crash or power-down occurring while a patch to the file was being applied, or perhaps the hard disk developed a bad sector that happened to be one used to store that file. In any case, unless there's a pattern I don't think there's any need to remain concerned; so unless you've had something like this happen with this hard drive before, there's nothing to warrant foreboding at this time.
Pattern ahoy.

Made the mistake of turning the PC off last night. It hung trying to update DixX or some stupid thing before shutdown, which I think I remember it also doing before this mess started. So now I turn it back on and get the same boot error, same system file.

However. This time, when I try to boot from the Windows CD and go into the repair utility, now I get this.
Quote:
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

BAD_POOL_CALLER

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000C2 (0x00000043, 0xC28EC000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I'm pretty much fucked now, aren't I. Damn it, I should have backed my shit up when I had the chance.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that, yes, I do get that error every time now. I don't know how to disable BIOS memory options but I'm guessing it probably doesn't matter since I can't boot into Safe Mode anyway.

Last edited by CWS on Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clarification

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

CWS wrote:
The Phiend wrote:
CWS wrote:
Pattern ahoy.

Made the mistake of turning the PC off last night. It hung trying to update DixX or some stupid thing before shutdown, which I think I remember it also doing before this mess started. So now I turn it back on and get the same boot error, same system file.

However. This time, when I try to boot from the Windows CD and go into the repair utility, now I get this.
Quote:
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

BAD_POOL_CALLER

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

I'm pretty much fucked now, aren't I. Damn it, I should have backed my shit up when I had the chance.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that, yes, I do get that error every time now. I don't know how to disable BIOS memory options but I'm guessing it probably doesn't matter since I can't boot into Safe Mode anyway.
OK...Well, from what I've been able to determine, the "0x00000043" code (first parameter) indicates that the system was trying to free memory that was never allocated. Which...is strange, to say the least o_o Seen a page saying that hints at a driver issue, which I guess is entirely possible with all the service packing and driver updating you had to do after last time.

Can you reboot into "Safe Mode (command prompt only)"? Then do something like...umm....

Code:
cd \windows\system32\config

ren system system.bbq

And then reboot to the repair disc, and do the stuff you did before? I'm hoping that with the system file not there, it won't have a chance to cause the new problem you're having. And of course, when/if it gets Windows running....BAKUP TIEM!!1!1!1eleven

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:24 pm 
Site Admin

The Phiend wrote:
Can you reboot into "Safe Mode (command prompt only)"?
Nope. When trying, I run into that same, original error:
Quote:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.
I guess I'm probably not gonna have much choice but to move up the timetable on my new PC build to...uh, this week. :(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:49 pm 
Global Moderator

Most cases with that stop code can get Windows to load some of the time, or into some sort of protected environment. If you have any hardware you can remove while booting, such as a sound card, maybe try that. One thing I found hinted at conflictig IRQs causing the problem. But just to be clear, you get that error trying to boot off the repair disc?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
Most cases with that stop code can get Windows to load some of the time, or into some sort of protected environment. If you have any hardware you can remove while booting, such as a sound card, maybe try that. One thing I found hinted at conflictig IRQs causing the problem. But just to be clear, you get that error trying to boot off the repair disc?
Correct. And my motherboard has integrated sound, don't really have any non-critical hardware I could remove and expect to have any degree of functionality...

To be honest IRQ conflicts are outside of my knowledge base, but aside from that, I'm starting to think this could be a case of HDD failure, does that sound at all plausible to you guys? Admittedly I'm kind of just guessing, maybe that's what I'm hoping it is...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:49 pm 
Global Moderator

Were it HDD failure, it likely wouldn't crash if you were booting off a CD. It could be RAM, however, as some of the potential causes were related to memory. Do you have access to a CD burner where you can burn a Memtest86 disc?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:15 am 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
Were it HDD failure, it likely wouldn't crash if you were booting off a CD. It could be RAM, however, as some of the potential causes were related to memory. Do you have access to a CD burner where you can burn a Memtest86 disc?
I'm sure I could manage it if I, um, knew what Memtest86 was or how to create a disc for it... :oops:

(I'm now reduced to posting this from my 360, which I suppose would be either amusing or sad, depending on your perspective. But at least it works!)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:12 am 
Global Moderator

http://www.memtest86.com/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
http://www.memtest86.com/
Thanks. Alright, I burned a boot disc from that, ran it, and it said no errors were found. :|

To be honest, at this point I feel like my PC is a lost cause and I should probably just start looking for parts to order for my new build. As it's been several years since I've done any hardware shopping, I'd welcome any input anyone might have on that as well. I do have a few specific questions to start.
  • Windows 7 or 8? Leaning toward 7 right now, and that's what the majority of people have suggested to me so far, but know 8 will have a longer support life...
  • Intel or AMD? (I've always used AMD in the past.)
  • SLI: worth it?
  • Best/most reliable manufacturers for motherboards/RAM/etc.?
Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks again for all the help.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:38 am 
Contributing Staff

Mobo I'd say ASUS are great and for RAM I've not had problems with Kingston. CPU I'd go with the latest i7; the most expensive you're willing to buy. Intel produce the best CPUs, and AMD the best value graphics cards. Whether Crossfire/SLI is worth it really depends on what GPU you go with, I'd say. I started by matching my mobo and case, and the chipsets I wanted to support. I'd recommend an aftermarket CPU cooler too, probably a Noctua NH-D14.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:07 pm 
Global Moderator

I agree with Loki for most of that, except RAM. Kingston has kinda gone to crap over the last decade or so. I'd recommend Corsair or G-Skill myself.

The only other thing I'll offer, is if you are really trying to build on a budget, AMD's A10-4660 APU chip is quite good. It's what I have in my laptop. It's a CPU/GPU in one chip, but its an actual Radeon chip, equivalent to a Radeon HD 7660, I believe. It's a quad core processor, powerful enough for most anything. They're really cheap chips, which is why I say if you are on a tight budget. I of course, if you can, would recommend the i7/full on video card build, as it's more powerful and will ultimately give you much better performance and last longer, but I just wanted to put that out there. I can play Borderlands 2 on my laptop at decent settings with no real problems.

Last edited by Zanth on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Added APU info.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:23 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the hardware suggestions so far. I think my biggest priority (which I should have mentioned before) will be to build something that will last me as long as possible, and if that means spending a little more in the short term, then I guess that's what I'll have to do.

Zanth, any further comments on Win8 or SLI?

Now an update to the current situation. I was thinking about your previous suggestion to try disabling or removing some unneeded hardware to get around the error I now get when trying to boot from the CD. I decided to try unplugging one of my two CD drives and also removing the IDE card it was plugged into (because it's an IDE drive, obviously, and my motherboard only has one IDE socket, which one of my two HDDs is plugged into). And also my floppy drive, since I never use that anyway. So I did that and then tried booting from the CD again, but after selecting the 'repair' option I still get the same error, after it asks which Windows installation to log onto.
CWS wrote:
Quote:

BAD_POOL_CALLER

Technical information:

One minor difference however, I notice that the very last bit now differs:
Quote:
*** STOP: 0x000000C2 (0x00000043, 0xC8BAC000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000
I have no idea if this tells us anything new, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

I maintain that Windows 7 is the better option at this moment. Between how the Windows 8 interface has been designed with touchscreen devices in mind and its newness, I think you'd get a more stable experience out of Windows 7. It took a bit for me to acclimate to Windows 7 from Windows XP, but for the most part things work about the same or even better.

As for support, last year Microsoft extended support for Windows 7 out to 2020.

CWS wrote:
CWS wrote:
Quote:

BAD_POOL_CALLER

Technical information:

One minor difference however, I notice that the very last bit now differs:
Quote:
*** STOP: 0x000000C2 (0x00000043, 0xC8BAC000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000
I have no idea if this tells us anything new, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.
I don't think there's anything useful there. That second parameter is the memory address that was attempted to be freed (which was never allocated, hence the error); it could quite easily change, especially if you're disconnecting devices and that changes which drivers are taking up space in memory.

Good catch, though; differences in those parameters tend to be difficult to notice.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:47 pm 
Global Moderator

The first stop code is the most important part of it, but yeah, good catch, I doubt I would've noticed that.

Widows 7 is solid, I like it a lot. Windows 8 is not terrible, however. It's a little bit snappier, but not much. I did away with 90% of my Win8 issues with a $5 mod from Stardock. It gave me a start button and boots my machine directly to the desktop, rather that that awful Metro UI. If you can still get Windows 7, Home Premium or Pro, I'd say do that. Unless, of course, you can get Windows 8 Pro way cheaper, then I'd say the differences are not enough to warrant spending much more money for 7. Just my thoughts. 7 is better tho, for sure.

As for SLI... unless you are going balls out for GPUs and plan on spending like a grand on the two cards, no, no it is not.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:16 pm 
Site Admin

Alright, I think I will go with Win7 as it's $100 and that's not too bad.

Thanks again guys, you've all been a huge help!! :ugeek:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next