Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rebuild of Evangelion (SPOILER WARNING)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:18 pm 
Site Admin

So, I finally got around to watching the first "Rebuild" movie, Evangelion: 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone a while back.

For those who aren't aware, Rebuild is a series of four new theatrical EVA movies, which Anno Hideaki has decided to produce independently of Studio Gainax, for...well, for some reason or other. I'm not totally sure why. Anyway, 1.11 is more or less a condensed re-telling of the first six episodes of the original Neon Genesis Evangelion TV series, plus some newly added CG graphics and a few other relatively minor changes.

A couple of things which were omitted, and some that were added, seem really strange however. EVA-01 acting independently to shield Shinji from falling debris (as it did in the first TV episode) is completely left out. That was a crucially important detail in the TV series, and could easily have fit into some of the time that was spent on some of the newly added CGI footage detailing the mechanisms for raising and lowering the buildings of Tokyo-3.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Evangelion: 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone
In another newly added sequence which is a dramatic divergence from the TV series, to help motivate Shinji to fight during the battle against Ramiel, Misato takes him down to Terminal Dogma and shows him the crucified Lilith. In the TV series, the existence and location of Lilith was not revealed until much later, and came as a severe shock to Misato when it was. So...that's kind of weird.

Most people who've known me longer than five minutes are aware of my borderline reverence for the original Evangelion TV series, so I'm sure it comes as no surprise that I'm approaching the Rebuild movies with a degree of skepticism. I imagine I'll probably end up watching the rest of them as they're released, for the sake of completion if nothing else. But based on what I've gathered so far, I don't expect them to measure up to the originals.

Last edited by CWS on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
OCD

Post subject: Re: Rebuild of Evangelion (SPOILER WARNING)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:43 pm 
Contributing Staff

I think Anno stated he wants the characters to be happier this time around, or something, in an interview I read. As he's no longer suffering from severe depression, or something.

I don't know. It's basically going to work out to be a completely different retelling. 2.0 introduces new characters, and also makes Asuka basically a completely new character, too.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:35 am 
Site Admin

Loki Kola wrote:
I don't know. It's basically going to work out to be a completely different retelling. 2.0 introduces new characters, and also makes Asuka basically a completely new character, too.

Yeah, that's what I've gathered...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:06 am 
Contributing Staff

Heck, I forgot: you and I've both discussed this plenty already.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:18 am 
Site Admin

Loki Kola wrote:
Heck, I forgot: you and I've both discussed this plenty already.
Hey, no fair trying to leave the rest of the forum out of it! :P

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:30 am 
Global Moderator

I've quite enjpyed the rebuilds so far. I think 3 is where its going to get really interesting though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:43 pm 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
I've quite enjpyed the rebuilds so far. I think 3 is where its going to get really interesting though.

It's only the first one that's been (officially) released in the US so far, right?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:07 pm 
Global Moderator

You are correct, but I have a JP BluRay rip of 2.22.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:18 pm 
Site Admin

CWS wrote:
Most people who've known me longer than five minutes are aware of my borderline reverence for the original Evangelion TV series....
Borderline "reverence"? Borderline cultist more like :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

The Phiend wrote:
CWS wrote:
Most people who've known me longer than five minutes are aware of my borderline reverence for the original Evangelion TV series....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:44 pm 
Site Admin

CWS wrote:
The Phiend wrote:
CWS wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:51 am 
Contributing Staff

What I've seen of the Rebuild series I like more than the original Evangelion. Right now I'm very tired and looking for jobs so that I don't loose my social security; therefore, I won't go into too much detail. What I will say, though, is that I perhaps appreciate the idea more than anything else, of series creator Hideaki Anno attempting to create the Evangelion series anew now that he's really a different person to the man he was when he created the original.

That's not to say I think the original suffers for its darkly realistic tone and truthful brutality. Rather, I spent a fair amount of time studying the rights of the creator while I was at university, including the right to alter canon or rewrite a series as they see fit, and depending on their attitude. Mostly, I look forward to seeing the final product, which is the series as a whole (Rebuild 1.0 - 3.0) and then the ending (Rebuild 4.0), which will be completely different to End of Evangelion according to Anno.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:07 pm 
Site Admin

Loki Kola wrote:
What I've seen of the Rebuild series I like more than the original Evangelion. Right now I'm very tired and looking for jobs so that I don't loose my social security; therefore, I won't go into too much detail. What I will say, though, is that I perhaps appreciate the idea more than anything else, of series creator Hideaki Anno attempting to create the Evangelion series anew now that he's really a different person to the man he was when he created the original.

That's not to say I think the original suffers for its darkly realistic tone and truthful brutality. Rather, I spent a fair amount of time studying the rights of the creator while I was at university, including the right to alter canon or rewrite a series as they see fit, and depending on their attitude.

Hmmm. That's an interesting angle to approach it from, though I must confess some curiosity as to why you take such a view with EVA, but not with Star Wars. :?:

As for myself, I've only seen the first Rebuild movie so far, have not yet seen the second, so can't comment on it. That said, I'm sure everyone here is probably aware of my long held opinion that the original TV series got "it" right the first time, and that all the subsequent additions, epilogues and revisions have been both unnecessary and inferior.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:56 pm 
Contributing Staff

The Star Wars prequel trilogy doesn't necessarily alter the canon; but it's mostly fucking awful, and I hate it. Sure, Lucas had the right to go and tack that onto the front of the original trilogy, but just because I think that doesn't mean I think he ought to have.

Also, the mere mention of Star Wars reminds me of my friend Sam aka Cancer_Man, who posted that 'I hate Jar Jar Binks' topic at Lusitania and then forever vanished. We managed to turn something meant to start a flame war into a legitimate discussion that went for more than several pages.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:28 pm 
Global Moderator

I'm trying to not directly compare the rebuilds to the original, and am viewing them as a seperate universe. Like one must look at the X-Men movies compared to the comics. Its kinda the same thing, but very different.

I'm not gonna state any specific details, but will say the second movie diverges very far off from the TV series, and I think will turn out to be an even bigger mind fuck.

I did hear something at Anime Detour that actually made a LOT of stuff about the TV series make a lot more sense. I had previously been unaware that before joining Gainax Hideki Ano had been like a PR type guy for some wacked out cult in Japan that felt that the only way to clense the sins of the world was to eradicate all mankind. The apparently went on to unleash some horrid gas attack somewhere(I forget where exactly). This happened long after he left, but still, some of the beliefs ring true to Eva.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:59 am 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
I did hear something at Anime Detour that actually made a LOT of stuff about the TV series make a lot more sense. I had previously been unaware that before joining Gainax Hideki Ano had been like a PR type guy for some wacked out cult in Japan that felt that the only way to clense the sins of the world was to eradicate all mankind. The apparently went on to unleash some horrid gas attack somewhere(I forget where exactly). This happened long after he left, but still, some of the beliefs ring true to Eva.

Hmmm. I remember the cult you're talking about and I was unaware that Anno had any involvement in it; not ruling it out completely, but color me skeptical given some of the things I remember hearing at cons back when I actually went to them.

But he does apparently have an asteroid named after him! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:14 am 
Contributing Staff

The cult that attacked the railway system with sarin gas?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:24 am 
Global Moderator

That would be the one.

I guess I should say supposedly. This didn't come from some random con-goer, but someone who was quite big into the mythos and all that of Eva and Anno himself. *shrug* I imagine it'd be difficult to prove either way.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:48 am 
Site Admin

Loki Kola wrote:
The Star Wars prequel trilogy doesn't necessarily alter the canon; but it's mostly fucking awful, and I hate it. Sure, Lucas had the right to go and tack that onto the front of the original trilogy, but just because I think that doesn't mean I think he ought to have.
I'm curious...which parts are awful (fucking or otherwise)? And what makes them awful? I'm having a very difficult time coming up with enough potential questionable parts to warrant condemning the entire prequel trilogy so...help me out here, where is the Phantom Menace Suckage? :?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:16 am 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
I guess I should say supposedly. This didn't come from some random con-goer, but someone who was quite big into the mythos and all that of Eva and Anno himself. *shrug* I imagine it'd be difficult to prove either way.
It's possible, like you said, finding concrete evidence either way would be difficult if not impossible. But I've heard enough bizarre rumors about Anno over the years from people who were supposedly "in the know" (including several members of EVA's English voice cast), many of which I'm inclined to think were fueled by fans' anger over the original TV ending, that I remain skeptical.

Wait a second. You said you were told that he was a spokesman for this cult prior to joining Gainax? According to Wikipedia, Aum Shinrikyo, which is the cult in question, was founded in 1984. Gainax's first animated project was the Daicon III opening animation, in 1981. And Anno was a founding member of Gainax.

Aum Shinrikyo is also described in that article as having been viewed prior to the sarin incident as a "religion for the elite", with most of its followers having been graduates from Japan's most prestigious universities. That...really doesn't describe Anno, or anyone else from Gainax for that matter. :P