Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead (TV series)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:14 pm 
Site Admin

Damn.

That was...

I'm not even totally sure what to say offhand just yet, other than that this episode (The Grove) certainly underscored what I'd previously identified as the overall theme of Season 4, and perhaps to the most extreme degree imaginable.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:55 pm 
Global Moderator

Yeah, that was a hell of a thing. I really wanna get back to Glenn and Tara tho... that's the bit that has my attention the most.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:42 am 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
Yeah, that was a hell of a thing. I really wanna get back to Glenn and Tara tho... that's the bit that has my attention the most.
Ask, and ye shall receive.

But, seriously...The Grove. If that didn't leave your jaw on the floor, well...you're painfully shallow, to put it bluntly. I don't think I've ever even seen anything like that on television before, at least not that I can think of. Not so much the theme (which was brutal enough), but...the way it was executed.

Hmm. That kind of summarizes my feelings about the overall show, too, now that I think about it.

Two episodes left this season: Us and A. Sounds like a good time for a status report! :geek:
[Reveal] Spoiler: The Walking Dead
Group 1:
  • Rick: He knows they'll never get things back to the way they were.
  • Carl: He won.
  • Michonne: She knows what the answer is.

Group 2:
  • Maggie: She knows they're risking their lives, but more importantly, she knows what they're risking them for.
  • Sasha: She's afraid, but she knows they need to stay together.
  • Bob: He doesn't have to be alone.

Group 3:
  • Daryl: He ain't afraid o' nothin'. But after losing Beth, he's fallen in with a gang of rednecks whose motto is "Why hurt yourself when you can hurt other people?" So, uh...that sucks.
  • Beth: She's not Michonne, or Maggie, or Carol, but she's still here...well, hopefully, that is, seeing as how her current status is completely unknown since being abducted by whoever the hell that was in the car. I really hope they don't kill her off right when she was finally becoming interesting, but...well...realistically, the odds aren't exactly good.

Group 4:
  • Glenn: Hershel told him that all he has to do is believe. So that's what he's going to do.
  • Tara: Has a damn mouth on her and is not in love with Glenn.
  • Abraham: I actually like this guy so far, and hope he eventually makes a good addition to the larger group...if there ever is a larger group, again. :(
  • Rosita: I don't think she's actually said anything yet...though I suppose it's possible that she did, and I just missed it, because...well, yeah.
  • Eugene: He may be smarter than Abraham, but...well, I guess we'll see.

Group 5:
  • Carol: There's nothing she wouldn't do to protect the people she cares about.
  • Tyreese: It's a part of him now, it'll always be with him.
  • Judith: Is still the "Little Ass Kicker", or...uh, something? Oh, and her father and brother still believe she's dead thanks to the gash on Tyreese's arm.
  • Lizzie: She looked at the flowers.
  • Mika: She didn't have a mean bone in her body.

It's worth noting that we haven't even seen Rick or Carl once in the past three episodes. That's by far the longest span of time they've both been offscreen in the series to date.

Last edited by CWS on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forgot to add something significant about Judith.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

CWS wrote:
But, seriously...The Grove. If that didn't leave your jaw on the floor, well...you're painfully shallow, to put it bluntly.
I love how it'd be "painfully shallow" to not be affected by something you're unwilling to actually talk about. :P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

The Phiend wrote:
CWS wrote:
But, seriously...The Grove. If that didn't leave your jaw on the floor, well...you're painfully shallow, to put it bluntly.
I love how it'd be "painfully shallow" to not be affected by something you're unwilling to actually talk about. :P
Working on it...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:02 am 
Site Admin

[Reveal] Spoiler: Us
Well, we're coming down to the wire now. After a couple of detours, a temporary split and a trip through a pretty horrific "walker tunnel", Glenn, Tara, Abraham, Rosita and Eugene have finally been (re)united with Maggie, Sasha and Bob. After learning about The Mission To Save The World, Tara, Sasha and Bob agreed to join the mullitia and head to D.C. First, however, everyone wants to see what Terminus is all about. So...they went there, and found it to be peaceful, idyllic, and seemingly deserted, except for a very hospitable Denise Crosby. (OR IS SHE...)

Like the rest of the world, I do not yet know what this place is. But...I've gotta say, I have a reeeeeeaaaaaaally bad feeling about it.

Meanwhile, Daryl evidently decided to join Joe's gang of rednecks for some reason. And while they are certainly brutal and barbaric, Joe seems like he could potentially be somewhat reasonable...at least as far as violent scavengers go, anyway. He operates on a clearly defined set of rules, which was more than could be said about the Governor, for example. But he also doesn't think twice about having his crew beat one of their own to death for violating those rules. So...yeah. The larger problem is the fact that they are tracking Rick, and with clearly vengeful intentions, although Daryl does not yet know that.

Those who have not yet reached Terminus are quickly converging on it, although we still have no idea what the hell happened to Beth. And with only one episode left this season, there is a ton of stuff that's going to have to get resolved next week.

On that topic, there are two things that were announced would be happening this season, which haven't yet. One is that Morgan is supposed to return, in some capacity. The other is the introduction of a "very important" character named Gareth, about whom virtually nothing is known, except that he is supposedly "an amalgamation of several characters from the comics"...but that really doesn't tell us anything at all.

Anyway, the point is that those two things, in addition to the likely reunion of all the characters and the revelation of what, exactly, Terminus really is, will most likely happen next week in the season finale.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:53 pm 
Site Admin

Okay, um. I didn't even notice it, but this...this is creepy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:56 am 
Site Admin

And...season over. And as promised, they've left us at the nastiest cliffhanger to date.
[Reveal] Spoiler: A
Interestingly, the episode cuts back and forth between a flashback to the prison, when Hershel was teaching Rick to grow crops, and the much more brutal present. It was certainly nice to see Hershel one last time, even if it was via flashback.

In the present, Rick, Carl and Michonne stop to camp for the night on their way to Terminus. That turns out to be a mistake when Joe and his gang catch up with them. Daryl tries to intervene, at which point Joe instructs his other boys to "teach him all the way", which is his code for "beat his ass to death and then some". So while Joe and Tony hold Rick and Michonne at gunpoint, Dan drags Carl out of the abandoned truck he'd been sleeping in, and the other two of them proceed to start beating the crap out of Daryl. Joe tells Rick straight out that they are going to beat Daryl to death, rape Carl and Michonne, and then kill Rick. Rick surprises Joe with a headbutt and the two struggle briefly until Joe immobilizes Rick in a bear hug, pinning his arms. Joe taunts Rick by asking him, "What the hell you gonna do now, sport?" So Rick responds with the only logical course of action available to him: he tears out Joe's trachea and jugular vein with his teeth. This startles the rest of the gang enough for Michonne to grab Tony's gun, with which she kills him and one of the guys beating Daryl; Daryl wastes no time in throwing his remaining assailant down and curb-stomping him. This leaves Dan, who briefly tries to hold Carl hostage before trying to surrender, but Rick decides to gut him like a fish instead.

The next morning Rick and Daryl "have a moment"; Daryl tells Rick that Beth is "just gone", but Rick is strangely not curious as to what that means. o_o Later, the four of them find their way to Terminus, but wisely choose to scout from the woods before walking up to the front door. After some initial recon, they sneak inside and introduce themselves to Gareth, the community's leader, who has not been seen until now and who I already can't wait to see dead. :| Things seem to be on the up and up; there's an obligatory weapons inventory but the four are allowed to keep their armaments. They're then led out to the courtyard where quite a few people are assembled near Mary's grill, and she prepares to dish out plates of mystery meat to each of them. Things are going well until Rick notices that one of the men in the courtyard is wearing Glenn's riot gear...one of the women is wearing Maggie's (and Daryl's) poncho...and their tour guide, Alex, is carrying the watch that Hershel gave to Glenn. Rick pulls his gun, takes Alex hostage and demands to know where he found the watch. A standoff ensues. Alex claims to have found the things abandoned; Gareth appears and, seeing that Rick remains unconvinced, gives the signal to fire. Trading fire with gunmen positioned on the rooftops, the group is herded through a series of doors marked with the letter A, passing a cage containing human skeletal remains at one point. Finally, hopelessly outnumbered and outgunned, the four are forced into a rail car, which is also marked with a letter A. Glenn and Maggie's group is already imprisoned inside the rail car, and they are finally reunited, if in the worst possible circumstances. As the episode draws to a close, Rick promises his extended family that "They're gonna feel pretty stupid when they find out...they're screwing with the wrong people."

So it certainly appears that the "Termites" are indeed a community of cannibals, as was feared by many. And though most of the characters are finally reunited, they are most likely reunited on the menu. We still have no idea what has happened to Beth or where she is, though Robert Kirkman has promised that "we'll see her again...eventually", which isn't exactly reassuring. And Carol and Tyreese are presumably still on their way to Terminus with Judith, and walking into the same trap everyone else has. Sooooo...that all sucks. Rick has obviously now decided to return to his take-no-prisoners, merciless defender mode, and hopefully not too late. And like I said, Gareth already strikes me very much as a colossal douche who should be killed.

No Morgan either, so the insistent rumors that he was going to return this season were evidently in error. :| It's also worth noting that there were no more major major character deaths in the latter half of Season 4, and...I'm actually fine with that. It was nice to have somewhat of a respite after the massacre that was the first half of the season.

Last edited by CWS on Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Oh, and also...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:41 pm 
Global Moderator

CWS wrote:

Where was the second part of that pic from? Also... lol Tasha Yar.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:42 am 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
CWS wrote:

Where was the second part of that pic from? Also... lol Tasha Yar.
That was the painting Michonne found in that house she and Carl searched, while Rick was trying not to get "Claimed" by Joe and his gang in the episode of the same title. It's also been pointed out that there were paintings of sunflowers in the same house, and well...the first two things the other group found when they arrived at Terminus were sunflowers, and Tasha Yar Mary.

It creeps me the fuck out.

A lot of people have also been suggesting that Mary was wearing Beth's sweater, but it doesn't look that way to me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:22 pm 
Global Moderator

Yeah, Beth's didn't have that pattern on it. That is a bit creepy, yeah, but its great placement and whatnot. This season was really good as a whole. I know I'm anticipating next season more than I have any previous season.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:02 am 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
That is a bit creepy, yeah, but its great placement and whatnot. This season was really good as a whole. I know I'm anticipating next season more than I have any previous season.
I couldn't agree more. Last year, I couldn't imagine how they could possibly top Season 3, but Season 4 has taken the show to an entirely new level. The writing, plotting, direction and character exploration from start to finish have all substantially raised the bar from where they'd left off last season. Scott Gimple really knows what the hell he's doing, and I hope he continues to call the shots from here on out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:31 am 
Site Admin

The Season 4 DVD and Blu-Ray sets will be released on August 26th.

Hey, that reminds me: you never did answer my question about the Season 3 Blu-Ray.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:50 pm 
Global Moderator

Oh damn, I totally forgot about that. Not going to be able to tonight.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:55 am 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
Reminder #4 :P

Meanwhile, here is a half-assed map I threw together, cropped from a map of Georgia with my best guesses as to the approximate area of all the major locations seen in the series so far. There's also a larger version if you want to see it, but this is the part that's relevant to the show:

EDIT: Realized I'd made a couple of mistakes on the map, so now it's slightly less half-assed than it was before, hopefully at least.

I've also been researching the comics a bit lately, and from that, have come up with some guesses/suspicions as to what we'll be seeing in Season 5...
[Reveal] Spoiler: The Walking Dead: Season 5 plot speculation
The TV series, as everyone is probably aware, is not a direct adaptation of the comics. It does follow the general flow of the comics' overall plot, more or less, but it changes up many specific details -- most notably, character introductions and deaths -- to keep the audience guessing. For example, in the comics Shane died at the quarry, the group never went to the CDC, and Lori, Judith, Hershel, and Tyreese were all killed by the Governor. Most of the characters in the TV series are also drastically different from their print counterparts, some more so than others; in the comics Andrea was only two years older than Amy, Carol was also much younger than she is in the TV series, and Merle, Daryl, T-Dog, Beth, Sasha, Lizzie and Mika (among others) were never in the comics at all.

Having said all of that, throughout Season 4, Scott Gimple seems to have taken many more deliberate cues from the comics than his predecessors did in Seasons 1-3, and it seems likely that will continue going forward...which is what gives me speculation fuel.

In the comics, an event mirroring what happened in The Grove played out shortly after the fall of the prison. After that, the survivors were stalked by a small band of cannibals who were referred to as the Hunters. After the Hunters made a meal of someone near and dear to the group, Rick and several others went to confront them. The Hunters' leader admitted to Rick that they would not stop pursuing them, at which point the rest of the group ambushed and disarmed the Hunters. Rick and the others then proceeded to butcher the Hunters in ways that were so brutally violent that the comics didn't even explicitly show it. And these events were immediately preceded by Rick's declaration that "They're gonna feel pretty stupid when they find out..."

So, given what we saw in A, it seems pretty clear that the "Termites" (as Andrew Lincoln refers to them) are the TV show's equivalent of the Hunters...and that leads me to suspect that the conflict with them will probably be resolved sooner, rather than later. After that, I imagine the survivors will probably set out toward D.C. And I suspect that either at the very end of Season 5, or perhaps the beginning of Season 6, they'll introduce Negan...who makes the Governor look like a total pussy.

Last edited by CWS on Mon May 12, 2014 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Map Corrections

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:32 am 
Global Moderator

CWS wrote:
Zanth wrote:

Sunnuva. You need to remind me when I'm at home and not at work, lol.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:29 am 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
CWS wrote:
Zanth wrote:

Sunnuva. You need to remind me when I'm at home and not at work, lol.

And I'm supposed to know at what time of day you happen to read this, how...? Or perhaps more importantly, why? :P

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:51 pm 
Global Moderator

I usually check it at work, and in the evening before I got to bed, but all the reminders seem to get to me in the afternoon when I'm at work, then I forget by the time I get home.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:52 am 
Site Admin

If you're interested in the first place, chances are you've probably already seen this. But here is the surprisingly illuminating Season 5 trailer that was unveiled a few days ago at Comic-Con.
[Reveal] Spoiler: The Walking Dead: Season 5

Given how notoriously tight-lipped everyone involved with the series always is about future episodes and seasons, there are a surprising number of revelations in this trailer. For example:

• Pretty much everybody survives Terminus, apparently because Bob talks Gareth out of executing and possibly grilling them to instead follow Eugene's pipe dream mission to D.C.
  • Carol, Tyreese and Judith will be reunited with the rest of the group.
  • The group will end up at Father Gabriel Stokes' church for at least a while. In the comics, that was where they took refuge during the Hunters arc. The trailer seems to suggest an extremely reluctant alliance between Rick's group and the "Termites", but I suspect/hope that won't last very long.
  • Rick and Abraham will butt heads, but that was inevitable.
  • Beth is at a hospital or something with some psycho cop and some other people, for some reason. The point is SHE WAS NEVER ON MARY'S GRILL SO THERE.

I still can't wait to see Gareth get killed, even though I don't really have a very solid or justifiable reason at this point. I think his smug face just rubs me the wrong way.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:14 am 
Site Admin

...Oh dear.

Yeah, that's...um. Yeah.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next