Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Walking Dead (TV series)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:23 am 
Site Admin

So in a deleted scene from the second-to-last episode of Season 4, Bob Stookey has possibly the best line of the entire series.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Us
"I'm just sayin', it -- it's hard for me to process. There's gonna be a dude with a mullet on our one-dollar bills. I don't think I'm ready to live in that world."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:21 am 
Site Admin

The newest Season 5 trailer certainly seems to reinforce my previous speculations.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:51 am 
Site Admin

With Season 5 only three days away, I thought I'd post a couple of trailers they've been playing heavily during the obligatory pre-season marathon. Though I'm hardly the world's biggest U2 fan, I must admit I kinda like these.

Or maybe I'm just a sucker.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:17 pm 
Site Admin

Holy hell. That was, hands down, THE most spectacular episode of the entire series thus far. Including Too Far Gone.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:41 am 
Site Admin

I keep forgetting to make a note of the fact that my predictions about Season 5, particularly relating to Terminus and the Hunters, have thus far proven accurate. Last week's episode mirrored the comics' resolution of that storyline almost exactly, and in an incredibly satisfying way, which has described all of Season 5 so far. Suffice to say, they did indeed feel pretty stupid when they found out.

That does, however, make me rather nervous about what's coming next.

[Reveal] Spoiler: No Sanctuary
Gareth and the Termites' plans to slaughter, cook and eat Rick and the others are interrupted by Carol, who singlehandedly wages an all-out assault on Terminus and ultimately burns it to the ground, freeing the other survivors and killing Mary and most of the other Termites in the process. (Carol and Tyreese had learned the truth about Terminus, and that they were holding their friends captive, when they ambushed one of the community's spotters in the nearby woods earlier that day.) After fighting their way out, Rick and the other survivors are reunited with Carol, Tyreese and Judith. Homeless but alive, united and stronger than ever, they set out on foot to get as far away from Terminus as possible. Little do they realize that they are being followed by Gareth and the few other surviving Termites, now the Hunters...and also by Morgan(!!!), who appears to have found at least a few of his marbles since the last time we saw him.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Strangers
The group continues hiking through the wilderness for a few days. Rick comes to an understanding with Tara and with Carol. They eventually encounter, and rescue, Father Gabriel Stokes. Although highly suspicious of his behavior, they follow him to his small church, which becomes a temporary place of refuge. Gabriel is useless in a fight and clearly has some dark secrets, but he also has a lot of supplies and knows where more can be found, so the next day most of the group sets out on a supply run with him in tow. While gathering food from a flooded, walker-infested basement, Bob is bitten but conceals it from the others. Later that night at the church, Rick agrees to join Abraham's mission to D.C. Carol quietly leaves; Daryl follows her and finds her at an abandoned car they found earlier. Before Carol can explain what she's doing, another car, which Daryl recognizes as the same one that took Beth, suddenly goes roaring past. The two of them set out in pursuit. Back at the church, while everyone else is still enjoying their dinner, Bob quietly makes his exit and is going to wander off into the woods, but he is ambushed and captured by the Hunters. He later awakens at their camp, where they are feasting on his amputated leg.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Four Walls and a Roof
While he and the other ex-Termites dine on Bob's severed leg, Gareth waxes philosophical until Bob bursts out laughing and reveals his bite. (This directly recreates the infamous "tainted meat" scene from the comics.) At the church, Sasha has noticed Bob's absence, and the others have realized that Carol and Daryl are also gone. They confront Gabriel about it and demand to know what he's hiding from them. Gabriel breaks down and confesses his sin: that he hid inside his church and locked his congregation outside, which resulted in them being eaten by the undead. Meanwhile, Gareth and the Hunters deposit Bob outside the church and paint a letter 'A' on the side of the building; both moves are intended to terrorize the occupants. After Bob tells them about Gareth and the Hunters, Abraham insists on leaving for D.C. immediately, but Rick refuses to leave Daryl and Carol behind. The two men nearly come to blows, but Glenn, Maggie and Tara agree to accompany Abraham, Rosita and Eugene if they'll stay long enough to help deal with the ex-Termites. Rick decides to turn the tables and hunt the Hunters, instead. Rick, Abraham, Sasha, Michonne, Glenn, Maggie and Tara head out into the woods, tempting Gareth and the other cannibals to storm the church, which they do. Once they're all inside the raiding party returns, surprising the Hunters and forcing them to surrender. Gareth tries to talk his way out of it but Rick is determined to keep the promise he made at the beginning of No Sanctuary, to kill Gareth with his machete...which is exactly what he does, while Abraham, Michonne and Sasha bash and stab the other Hunters to death, to Gabriel's horror. The next morning, Bob dies, and Abraham, Rosita, Eugene, Glenn, Maggie and Tara pile into a short bus and hit the road for D.C. Rick and Tyreese bury what's left of the Termites. That night, while Michonne is keeping watch, Daryl returns with a yet-to-be-revealed companion(s).

[Reveal] Spoiler: Further Plot Speculation
So the Terminus/Hunters storyline is all wrapped up after only the first three episodes of Season 5. This isn't entirely unexpected, but as I said, the conclusion of the last episode has me a bit worried as to what's coming next. More specifically, I'm worried about who Abraham's group, which now includes Glenn and Maggie, might encounter on their way to D.C. (Negan)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:32 pm 
Global Moderator

I've been really unimpressed with this season so far... I hope it gets in gear soon.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:23 pm 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
I've been really unimpressed with this season so far... I hope it gets in gear soon.
I dunno what you're talking about, I think it's been spectacular...but I guess that's just my opinion.

Speaking of...well, that happened earlier than I was expecting it to, though I suppose it makes sense at this particular point in the plot.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:00 am 
Global Moderator

I've not yet seen tonight's episode, but thus far this season has been fairly predictable and boring to me. Maybe part of it is I people every week, well, at least you, posting how awesome the episode was, then I watch it with high expectations and they just don't deliver. We shall see tomorrow what tonight's episode delivers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:46 pm 
Global Moderator

Finally, this week's episode was quite good.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:37 am 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
Finally, this week's episode was quite good.
So the key is evidently for you to not read anything I've said about each episode prior to seeing it, then. :|

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:46 am 
Global Moderator

Heh heh, maybe so. I dunno, maybe my expectations have finally dropped, or maybe it just took til this episode to really do much for me. I really didn't see the twist of this episode coming, it really got my attention, and I am eagerly awaiting what's coming next. I will admit too, the last scene we saw with Rick's group intrigued me, but it's now been two episodes without even seeing them, so that was honestly a bit of a letdown as well. Hopefully this week we'll finally see what's going on there.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:15 am 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
Heh heh, maybe so. I dunno, maybe my expectations have finally dropped, or maybe it just took til this episode to really do much for me. I really didn't see the twist of this episode coming, it really got my attention, and I am eagerly awaiting what's coming next.
Dude, my mom saw that coming. :lol:
Quote:
I will admit too, the last scene we saw with Rick's group intrigued me, but it's now been two episodes without even seeing them, so that was honestly a bit of a letdown as well. Hopefully this week we'll finally see what's going on there.
Well, I think this next episode is going to address (and hopefully conclude) that bullshit that's going on in Atlanta. And since we're now down to the last three episodes before the break, it seems like a good time for a...
[Reveal] Spoiler: The Walking Dead: Status Report
  • Rick, Carl, Judith, Michonne, Tyreese and Sasha are still holed up at Gabriel's church, where they buried Bob and what was left of the Hunters. They've also found out that Gabriel may be a selfish coward, but he isn't dangerous. At least not personally, anyway.
  • As for Gareth and the Hunters, they probably did feel pretty stupid as they were being hacked, bludgeoned and stabbed to death.
  • We know that Morgan is wandering around out in the woods somewhere nearby. He was tracking the Hunters, but his current whereabouts and intentions are unknown, although he appeared to have found at least a few of his marbles again.
  • Meanwhile, we finally found out what happened to Beth: she's been the "guest", and indentured servant, of a bunch of delusional cops running a hospital in Atlanta. Fuck Atlanta. Nothing good has ever happened there.
  • But Daryl and Carol are following one of their cars, which will lead them straight back to Atlanta, the hospital, and Beth. So hopefully they will take care of business when they get there.
  • Glenn, Maggie and Tara went with Abraham, Rosita and Eugene toward D.C. on their Mission To Save The World. Except it turns out that Eugene isn't really a scientist after all, he's just a first-class bullshitter whose mulletude apparently gives him a bonus to his Charisma score or something. Anyway, after he finally copped to it, Abraham -- for whom this mission has literally been his only reason for still being alive, we learned via flashbacks -- hit Eugene with three haymakers before Rosita stopped him. So now they're left stranded in the middle of nowhere with a possibly brain-damaged con man and several thousand walkers less than a mile away. Now would be a good time to turn around and head back to the church, don'cha think?

I am simultaneously excited for and dreading what I strongly suspect is going to happen in the last episode before the break. While it's very likely that the end results will not be exactly the same as they were in the comics...it's equally certain that it will be the most brutal thing to ever happen on this show, up to that point.

:geek:

EDIT1: I almost forgot: so far, I think the overarching theme of this season is "the price of survival".

EDIT2: I usually don't go in for this stuff but...hell, this is funnier than it has any right to be.
[Reveal] Spoiler: Walking Dead seasons 3 and 4

Last edited by CWS on Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Carl Poppa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:57 am 
Global Moderator

CWS wrote:
Zanth wrote:
Heh heh, maybe so. I dunno, maybe my expectations have finally dropped, or maybe it just took til this episode to really do much for me. I really didn't see the twist of this episode coming, it really got my attention, and I am eagerly awaiting what's coming next.

Welp, I finally like an episode and you insult me, guess I'm done here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:04 am 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
CWS wrote:

Welp, I finally like an episode and you insult me, guess I'm done here.

Oh come on! It wasn't an insult, I was just giving you shit. Geez...

EDIT: I didn't even intend for that to come across as "Ha ha, you're slow" so much as "Hey I've even gotten my mom (of all people) hooked on this show (of all shows), isn't that funny?"

Honestly, I was not trying to insult or offend you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:09 am 
Site Admin

So since AMC has been running a series-wide marathon for the past couple days, I've come up with some new observations.

First off, I'm amending my assessment of Season 3's overall theme. I think it was actually choice, rather than transformation or change, because all the changes resulted from active choices being made by the people in question. Every major event that occurred was the result of someone making a conscious and specific choice, and in fact, many of the major character deaths that season were a direct result of their own decision(s).

Secondly, now that I know how much time elapsed over the second half of Season 4 (eight days), I think I've now determined a much more accurate timeline of the series, and I must acknowledge that the cast and crew's pronouncements on that front now make a lot more sense to me than they did previously.

[Reveal] Spoiler: The Walking Dead TV timeline
Season 1: As previously noted, the entire first season (after Rick wakes up from his coma) takes place within the span of one week.

Season 2: After the CDC, they spend one more night in Atlanta before leaving the city, and they get stuck on the highway en route to Fort Benning later that day. The day after that, Rick, Shane and Carl end up on the farm, and the rest of the group gets there the following morning. They spend roughly two months on the farm, during which time Lori discovers that she's pregnant.

Season 3: Then Season 3 picks up seven months after they left the farm, the following summer. They discover the prison almost immediately, and after clearing the outer yard, they spend one night camped there before fighting their way inside the next day. Hershel loses his leg that day, and Lori gives birth (and dies) a few days later. Now, less than two months pass over the course of Season 3, which is a lot less than I'd previously thought. Probably closer to one month, or maybe six weeks at the outside. This can be determined through the flashbacks at the end of Season 4, in A, in which Hershel stated that they'd now been at the prison for two months. And some time has clearly passed since the end of Season 2, because the prison appears to be in much better shape (the front yard has been cleared and reclaimed, and the new armored gate has been installed at the outer fence), and the Governor is no longer considered to be an ongoing threat. All of that suggests to me that at least a couple weeks had passed since the end of the conflict with Woodbury and the end of Season 2, and at that point Hershel stated that they'd been at the prison for two months. Also, during the meeting in Arrow on the Doorpost, the Governor talks to Rick about "everything we've been fighting for, for the past year", and since Season 1 took place during the previous summer, at that point it would indeed have been a little over one year since the start of the apocalypse. And this also means that it would, in fact, have been about a year and a half at the start of Season 4.

Season 4: Now that I know the latter half of Season 4 took place over a span of eight days, that means that the entirety of Season 4 (excluding the flashbacks) took place within a two-week window. And in A, Joe mentions that it's New Year's Eve when his gang ambushes Rick, Michonne and Carl, which means that Rick, Michonne, Carl and Daryl reach Terminus on New Year's Day. So that means that all of Season 4 took place in the latter half of December. Unless Joe was just totally bullshitting about the date, but I can't imagine why he would have been.

Season 5: The group fights their way out of Terminus that same day (January 1st). Only a handful of days have passed during the first half of Season 5, maybe a week or so. In any case, it's still early January where they left off at the half-way mark.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Season 5 Sitrep and Speculation
The first half of Season 5 saw the survivors of the prison (mainly Carol) destroy Terminus and completely PWN the crap out of the Termites/Hunters. I'm also glad the Atlanta/hospital storyline was resolved, even if the resolution was...far from ideal. :cry:

Really, this show has made me such a sap. (Unfortunately I have been unable to locate the source for that image, so if anyone should ever happen to stumble across it, please let me know so I can give proper attribution.)

Anyway. Since the prison fell, the survivors have gained six new allies (Tara, Abraham, Rosita, Eugene, Gabriel, and Noah), and lost five old friends and family members (Hershel, Mika, Lizzie, Bob and Beth). And Morgan is still floating around out there someplace, following their trail. After the detour to Atlanta, I suspect they will head toward the walled community that Noah mentioned in Slabtown, which would continue the progression of the plot parallel to the comics. And for reasons I've previously alluded to, that prospect is simultaneously exciting and dreadful.

Okay, for anyone who's still interested enough to be reading this, I have a question. In light of the fact that events in the TV series will almost certainly not play out exactly the same way they did in the comics, would you care if I went into more specific detail about the comics? Or would you prefer that I continue to be (relatively) vague about them?

Last edited by CWS on Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I forgot to look at the flowers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:22 am 
Site Admin

Since nobody answered my question about comic spoilers, I guess I'll just continue talking to myself here, because...well, because I feel like it, evidently. So what follows will be some slight elaboration on TV series predictions I've been making throughout Season 5, extrapolated from the comics.
[Reveal] Spoiler: The Walking Dead: Season 5-B speculation
In the comics, after the prison was destroyed by the Governor, the survivors drifted around in the wilderness for a while. They were joined by Abraham's group, and Morgan. They found their way to Gabriel's church and clashed with the Hunters, with similar results to what transpired in the first half of Season 5. They began heading east, toward D.C., until they found out Eugene was lying about the cure. Shortly after that they were approached by scouts from the Alexandria Safe Zone, which is a fortified, walled-off community nearby. (That's why I thought it was significant that Noah mentioned a similar-sounding location, in or near Richmond, during his conversations with Beth in Slabtown.) Rick and his group joined that community and settled in there for the long term, which I strongly suspect will happen in the latter half of Season 5, assuming of course that I'm not wrong about Noah's home. But as with the prison, the security of a new home base also attracted new enemies, this time in the form of another group led by a man named Negan. In one of the initial encounters with Negan's scouts, one of the main characters was killed by an arrow through the head, and it was such a shocking and iconic scene that I will be surprised if they don't do something similar in the TV series. And as I've been saying for quite a while now, I strongly suspect Negan will make his appearance at the end of Season 5.

Negan is a very different kind of antagonist from what we've seen on The Walking Dead so far, and a much more dangerous one. The thing that separates him from Shane, or Merle, or the Governor, or Dawn, or even Gareth, is that there is no pretense of civilization with him. He leads a small army of heavily-armed marauders, and they have gone fully Mad Max. That said, they are not completely without rules or order. Like Joe, Negan really only has one rule: whatever you have, he gets half of it. As long as you're willing to obey that one rule, he'll leave you in peace. More or less.

As for Negan himself, he is also much more violent than any of the other characters mentioned above, and quite cheerfully so. His signature weapon (and this tells you something about his character) is not a particular kind of gun, or bow, or knife, or even a sword. It's a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire. Named "Lucille". Yes, you read that correctly. And in the very first scene in which he personally appeared and was introduced, he used that weapon to brutally execute one of the main main characters. I won't specify who it was because, judging by the history of the TV series, it probably won't be the same person...but I will say that they have already teased/foreshadowed it in the first half of Season 5.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

The first two minutes of next week's Season 5-B premiere have been posted on AMC.com.

Really sets quite a striking tone, I have to say. :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:10 pm 
Site Admin

Oh. Oh wow.

Seriously. I mean...wow.

Now it's my turn to say I didn't see that coming, and it honestly blew me away.

[Reveal] Spoiler: What happened and What's Going On
Greg Nicotero, who directed this episode, revealed that seventeen days have passed between the end of the previous episode and the beginning of this one. In that time, the group has traveled five hundred miles from Atlanta to Richmond.

He also pointed out that Noah's mother had not, in fact, been shot, but killed with a different (and specific) kind of weapon. I had suspected that when they showed her corpse, but I wasn't 100% sure...and his specifically mentioning it is, I think, a strong indication of what and who is to come.

Also, that was Andrew Lincoln's voice on the radio.

Last edited by CWS on Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Added some notes from Talking Dead.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:39 am 
Site Admin

I guess I should update this before we get too much further into the season, huh? o_o

[Reveal] Spoiler: The Walking Dead: Season 5-B
So. Over the course of the season thus far, the group escaped from (and destroyed) Terminus, met Gabriel, killed the Hunters, met Noah, and lost Bob, Beth, and Tyreese. They traveled to Noah's home in Virginia, but found that it had been destroyed by someone called the Wolves. They then decided to continue on toward D.C., Eugene's lie notwithstanding, but ran out of gas, food, water and, very nearly, hope.

I think that's the overall theme of Season 5, by the way: Hope. Because that is literally the only thing that's kept them going through some of the bleakest and most horrific situations they've yet faced. And on a related note, I now believe that the overarching theme of the entire series is...are you ready?...Faith. Because faith is a prerequisite for hope.

Anyway. After surviving extreme exhaustion, near-starvation and a truly miraculous storm (with Rick finally giving his epic "We are The Walking Dead" speech along the way), they were greeted by Aaron, a scout from Alexandria. And though plagued by doubt and mistrust, Aaron eventually convinced them to follow him to Alexandria, a seemingly safe and, in fact, jarringly idyllic community, into which the group is now awkwardly attempting to integrate themselves. And by "attempting to integrate" I mean that everyone (except Daryl) has actually bathed and put on clean clothes for the first time in several weeks at the very least; Carl is trying to figure out how to interact with kids his own age again; Rick actually shaved off his beard(!!!!!), and Carol is totally lying to everyone and pretending to be a sweet innocent old lady.

That's the upshot of things right now, anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

[Reveal] Spoiler: Forget
Welllllllllllllll...I'd say Carol is officially the scariest person on the show, now. :shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next