Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: XCOM 2
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:33 pm 
Site Admin

Well, it's official: XCOM 2 is coming in November, and it looks pretty wicked.

Post subject: Re: XCOM 2
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:25 pm 
Contributing Staff

Looks like they're getting somewhat back towards XCOM: Apocalypse. I'm thinking the mobile base will allow them to liberate nations from under the influence of ADVENT, maybe allowing them to set up a more permanent residence there, but able to evacuate if the aliens launch a counter-attack. Thinking back to the first Apocalypse, where you had XCOM HQ in a city, and had to protect that, the city, and Megapol, and superdynamics, etc. Also, as I noted yesterday, Exalt hacked into Advent's systems as part of the ARG, which helped set them up for this attack. So, that should mean that EXALT are now allies of XCOM: they may well fill the same role as an underground network of cyberterrorists.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:34 pm 
Site Admin

Loki Kola wrote:
Also, as I noted yesterday, Exalt hacked into Advent's systems as part of the ARG, which helped set them up for this attack. So, that should mean that EXALT are now allies of XCOM: they may well fill the same role as an underground network of cyberterrorists.
While that's possible, also remember that EXALT were alien sympathizers in the previous game, at least to some degree. So they may (still) have their own, separate agenda, and it would certainly be cool if we learn more about it.

I'm also glad the guns (at least in this trailer, which doesn't include any actual gameplay footage) look a lot less like oversized toys than they did in the previous game.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:56 am 

Wait, they're making another one? How is it I only heard of this now? :shock:

2K did a fantastic job last time, it's earned the benefit of a doubt, but I'm unsure if my computer would be able to handle the new one. It tends to lag when I play the remake, see.

Also... XCOM 2? Really? :? They couldn't be more imaginative with the name? Come on! It's a world where the aliens won and effectively rule Earth! How about XCOM: Resistance? Or XCOM: Underground? XCOM: Ethereal Empire? Something more original and less McDonaldised! Call it a pet peeve, but I find it just a little bit frustrating that some game companies put all this effort into their games, yet come up with bland, serialised names.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:26 pm 
Site Admin

CWS wrote:
Loki Kola wrote:
Also, as I noted yesterday, Exalt hacked into Advent's systems as part of the ARG, which helped set them up for this attack. So, that should mean that EXALT are now allies of XCOM: they may well fill the same role as an underground network of cyberterrorists.
While that's possible, also remember that EXALT were alien sympathizers in the previous game, at least to some degree. So they may (still) have their own, separate agenda, and it would certainly be cool if we learn more about it.
As I recall, EXALT wants to develop alien technology to get the upper hand against the world's governments. Exactly like XCOM wants to develop alien technology to get the upper hand against the aliens themselves. EXALT and XCOM are alien sympathizers to the exact same degree: Not at all.

snowman1989 wrote:
Wait, they're making another one? How is it I only heard of this now? :shock:
As I understand, it was only known as "a new but untitled AAA title" until two days ago.

snowman1989 wrote:
Also... XCOM 2? Really? :? They couldn't be more imaginative with the name? Come on! It's a world where the aliens won and effectively rule Earth! How about XCOM: Resistance? Or XCOM: Underground? XCOM: Ethereal Empire? Something more original and less McDonaldised! Call it a pet peeve, but I find it just a little bit frustrating that some game companies put all this effort into their games, yet come up with bland, serialised names.
Seeing as the original spawned X-COM: Terror from the Deep, X-COM: Apocalypse, X-COM: Interceptor, X-COM: Enforcer....The naming convention could be an active attempt to mixing up this new game with any sequels of the original.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:42 pm 
Global Moderator

To be fair, I miss when movies and games were numbered. When you aren't familiar with an IP, and all you have is IPNAME: GAME TITLE for 5 different games, how do you know what order they actually go in? Number made it easy. I mean, is IPNAME 2: GAME TITLE so bad?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:55 am 
Contributing Staff

[Reveal] Spoiler: Close Combat

Well it's not called the Assault class anymore, but... =P

It makes some sense that XCOM would be allied with EXALT, given that the government of the world is now alien-controlled. But it could well be one of pure convenience.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

The Phiend wrote:
CWS wrote:
As I recall, EXALT wants to develop alien technology to get the upper hand against the world's governments. Exactly like XCOM wants to develop alien technology to get the upper hand against the aliens themselves. EXALT and XCOM are alien sympathizers to the exact same degree: Not at all.
With the sole exception of the optional Progeny mission, Enemy Within did not make that clear in-game...at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

CWS wrote:
With the sole exception of the optional Progeny mission, Enemy Within did not make that clear in-game...at all.
Didn't the intro to the Covert Operations area in the Situation Room, or maybe commentary during the base raid, allude to this? I can't remember exactly.

I do recall that the EXALT artifacts recovered from the base indicate EXALT has existed for a long time, making it extremely unlikely they dropped their centuries-long reason for existence the moment aliens started attacking.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

The Phiend wrote:
CWS wrote:
Didn't the intro to the Covert Operations area in the Situation Room, or maybe commentary during the base raid, allude to this? I can't remember exactly.
Nope. In fact it specifically described EXALT as "harboring misguided sympathies" for the aliens, which is exactly where I got that inference from.
The Phiend wrote:
I do recall that the EXALT artifacts recovered from the base indicate EXALT has existed for a long time, making it extremely unlikely they dropped their centuries-long reason for existence the moment aliens started attacking.
True. But didn't The Bureau: XCOM Declassified make some similar implications about the aliens themselves? It's possible that the connection could go back quite a ways, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:22 am 
Contributing Staff

Well, Bradford's going to make a return, 20 years older, a hardened veteran who represents XCOM's change into a hated terrorist group group.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:23 am 
Contributing Staff

Here's the E3 gameplay footage, and yes, Bradford's a grizzled badass.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:23 pm 
Global Moderator

I watched the gameplay footage, it looks pretty awesome. Really looking forward to it!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:55 am 
Site Admin

XCOM is one game where I will say without any reservation that the PC version completely dominates the console port(s).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:05 pm 
Global Moderator

Oh god yes. All of the yes on that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

CWS wrote:
The Phiend wrote:
True. But didn't The Bureau: XCOM Declassified make some similar implications about the aliens themselves? It's possible that the connection could go back quite a ways, too.
It implied quite the opposite about possible connections, actually; it's extremely unlikely there was any alien interaction on Earth prior to the 1940s at the earliest.

Now because it's interesting (and closer to topical), stuff about XCOM 2's procedural map generation, and how they learned from Enemy Unknown and Enemy Within (Unin? Withknown?) that too much randomness isn't fun or pretty.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:29 am 
Contributing Staff

[Reveal] Spoiler: Chrysalids

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:22 am 
Contributing Staff

Looks like the Mutons will return alongside the berserker, and now they're spliced with human DNA and master strategists... great.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:49 am 
Site Admin

Loki Kola wrote:
Looks like the Mutons will return alongside the berserker, and now they're spliced with human DNA and master strategists... great.
And they're also packing Plasma Lancers...? o_o

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:44 pm 
Contributing Staff

Great. Super-Chryssalids that spawn THREE Chryssalid babies buttcrabs from their unfortunate victims. And they can burrow underground to become invisible to you.