Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Video Game Junkies, Sorta-Anonymous
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:13 am 
Site Admin

Well I think it's safe to say that many, if not all, of us here are avid video gamers. Possibly to an unhealthy degree in some cases. (Like me.) o_o

So, here's a forum thread where you can plug and discuss whatever you're currently wasting time on occupied with. :P

At the moment I seem to be oscillating between Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Mass Effect 2, gearing up for the release of Arrival tomorrow. :rbg:

Post subject: Re: Video Game Junkies, Sorta-Anonymous
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:53 am 
Site Admin

Final Fantasy VI here, for the first time. I can see why a few people over the years have told it was their favorite in the series, it succeeds in believably changing the world on a scale the others don't even attempt. VIII is still my favorite of the series, though :-P

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:06 pm 
Global Moderator

At the moment... WoW on PC, FFIV - Complete Collection on PSP, Bulletstorm on 360, Little Big Planet 2 on PS3 and Pilotwings/Pokemon Black on 3DS/DS.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
At the moment... WoW on PC, FFIV - Complete Collection on PSP, Bulletstorm on 360, Little Big Planet 2 on PS3 and Pilotwings/Pokemon Black on 3DS/DS.

What's that FFIV Complete Collection, and how's the 3DS?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:53 pm 
Global Moderator

The FFIV Complete collection includes a full remake of FFIV, still 2D, but upgraded sprites and yet another new translation. It reportedly also has the new content of the GBA remake, but I'm not far enough in to confirm that. It also includes the sequel, FFIV - The After Years which was a cell phone title in Japan, released here on WiiWare. Then new for this release is titled "The Interlude" which bridges the two games. I've been wanting a good 2D release to play on a portable for years, as the US GBA release was deeply flawed.

3DS is pretty cool thus far, but it's missing some key features that Nintendo advertised, such as its eShop, including the Virtual Console for it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:16 am 
Site Admin

I've gotten back into playing Rise of Legends this past week...unfortunately.

I say "unfortunately" because it seems like every time I sit down to play a simple skirmish map, the next thing I know, several hours have gone by. :lol:

BTW, how's Bulletstorm? I've been meaning to check out the demo but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:28 am 
Global Moderator

Despite my general distaste for FPS games on a console, its not too bad. If nothing else the dialogue is amusing. I haven't played a whole lot of it tho, maybe I'll have some time this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:57 am 
Site Admin

Well, I finally finished Portal (the first game) last night, so now I can move on to #2.

Except that right now, I find myself having gone back again, for the first time in several years, to Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. And you know what? Not only is it still by far and away the best stealth game I've ever played, but somewhat more remarkably, even after all these years it still looks amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:41 am 
Site Admin

I'm still wasting obscene amounts of time on Rise of Legends. Have also gone back to BioShock again lately, and damned if that game isn't still just an astounding achievement in nearly every possible way.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:55 am 
Contributing Staff

Say, and you still haven't gotten up to my level of completion. :P :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:10 pm 
Site Admin

Loki Kola wrote:
Say, and you still haven't gotten up to my level of completion. :P :lol:

I will delegate my response to Jackie.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:50 pm 
Global Moderator

Wow, I haven't played Rise of Legends in years! It enjoyed it a good amount, but sadly, it just didn't live up to its billing as a sequel to Rise of Nations.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:57 am 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
Wow, I haven't played Rise of Legends in years! It enjoyed it a good amount, but sadly, it just didn't live up to its billing as a sequel to Rise of Nations.

I love Rise of Legends and I applaud Big Huge for taking a risk on such an imaginative and design-intensive game. But you do have a point, a "proper" sequel to Rise of Nations would be a welcome thing.

What do you think of Dragon Age?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:12 am 
Site Admin

CWS wrote:
Zanth wrote:

I love Rise of Legends and I applaud Big Huge for taking a risk on such an imaginative and design-intensive game. But you do have a point, a "proper" sequel to Rise of Nations would be a welcome thing.
I'm curious how you expect a "proper" sequel to a history-based game that ends at, or slightly past, the current era. Or at the very least, how you expect to be alive at that point :P

Rise of Legends is awesome because it streamlines a ton of the monotony present in Rise of Nations (and for that matter a bunch of other RTS games). Gets a gold star for not requiring me to send a worker across the map to build a building. And for only needing a handful of different types of buildings and about as many different types of units the whole game through. And city districts instead of plunking down a bunch of buildings around a town and calling it a city!

Unfortunately it goes WAY too far in cutting stuff. Oh in-game is fine, but no random maps? Much more limited control over game conditions (Economic victory with a permanently peaceful game had its own variety of fun)? No Conquer-The-World style scenarios outside of the campaign?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:59 pm 
Global Moderator

Just a newer, more updated game of Rise of Nations would be cool. I mean, They've been shoving out sequels to Civilization for 25 years.

I agree with what you said about Legends. The game itself was a blast, I liked how it played as a whole, but was missing too much, as you say.

I'm really liking Dragon Age. Once I finiosh it and DA2 I may grab ME2 for PS3.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:42 pm 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
I'm really liking Dragon Age. Once I finiosh it and DA2 I may grab ME2 for PS3.

:rbg: :rbg: :rbg: :rbg: :rbg:

Dragon Age is cool, but the game mechanics are almost exactly like Knights of the Old Republic, and as such it felt like kind of a step backwards from Mass Effect to me. But it's still a good game in its own right and I've been meaning to pick it up at some point...hell, to be honest, I've thought about doing that just so I could get the Blood Dragon armor in ME2. :lol:

I've heard some mixed reviews on the PS3 version of ME2, apparently its performance is kind of spotty in some places. It's your choice of course, but if you want my opinion, I would actually suggest checking out the 360 versions of both Mass Effect games. While it isn't strictly necessary to have played the first game in order to enjoy the second, you will get a lot more out of it if you do. In fact, you're welcome to borrow my copy (of ME1) if you want. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:19 pm 
Global Moderator

See, Dragon Age feels well evolved form KOTOR to me, cuz, well, I tried KOTOR and hated it. :P *shrug* Maybe I was just not in the mood for it. It's possible.

I was thinking the PS3 version of ME2 mainly because RPGs atke a lot of damn time, and by getting this one, I could get the basic rundown of ME1, make the important choices that affect ME2 and skip it, lol. That said, I may take you up on that offer at some point. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:41 pm 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
I was thinking the PS3 version of ME2 mainly because RPGs atke a lot of damn time, and by getting this one, I could get the basic rundown of ME1, make the important choices that affect ME2 and skip it, lol. That said, I may take you up on that offer at some point. :)

That was the main reason it took me four years to get my brother to play ME1, he thought it would be too time-consuming. :lol: But it's actually not, at least not compared to a lot of other RPGs I've played, and ME2 is actually even less so (despite being two discs). Anyway, the offer stands so just let me know.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:42 am 
Contributing Staff

Mass Effect is only time-consuming because of the Mako. And, also, because, you know, I wanted to get Shepard to level 60 for the extra ME2 bonuses you unlock by importing a level 60 character, and getting a character to level 60 requires three playthroughs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:50 am 
Global Moderator

I have so many games I want to play, and finding the time to do it is not always easy, ya know? Many days I have decided I'm gonna sit an play Dragon Age all day, and only manage to get in a few hours if I'm lucky, shit just keeps coming up, or I get distracted by shiny things on the intertubes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next