Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fidel Castro has kicked the bucket.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:07 pm 
Site Admin

To be honest, I was rather surprised at the news because I thought he'd already expired several years ago. I guess this was a reminder that he hadn't, but...in any case, he has now.

FL Senator Marco Rubio, himself the son of Cuban immigrants, issued a statement on the dictator's death; I'll let him take it from here.
Marco Rubio wrote:
Rubio: History Will Remember Fidel Castro as an Evil, Murderous Dictator
Nov 26 2016

Miami, FL – U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) issued the following statement regarding the death of Cuban dictator Fidel Castro:

“Fidel Castro seized power promising to bring freedom and prosperity to Cuba, but his communist regime turned it into an impoverished island prison. Over six decades, millions of Cubans were forced to flee their own country, and those accused of opposing the regime were routinely jailed and even killed.

“Sadly, Fidel Castro's death does not mean freedom for the Cuban people or justice for the democratic activists, religious leaders, and political opponents he and his brother have jailed and persecuted. The dictator has died, but the dictatorship has not. And one thing is clear, history will not absolve Fidel Castro; it will remember him as an evil, murderous dictator who inflicted misery and suffering on his own people.

“The future of Cuba ultimately remains in the hands of the Cuban people, and now more than ever Congress and the new administration must stand with them against their brutal rulers and support their struggle for freedom and basic human rights.”

Senator Ted Cruz, also a son of Cuban immigrants, issued a statement as well:
Ted Cruz wrote:
Sen. Cruz's Statement in Reaction to Fidel Castro's Death
November 26, 2016

HOUSTON, Texas -- U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, released the following statement in reaction to the death of Fidel Castro:

"Fidel Castro's death cannot bring back his thousands of victims, nor can it bring comfort to their families. Today we remember them and honor the brave souls who fought the lonely fight against the brutal Communist dictatorship he imposed on Cuba."

President Obama's official statement, not surprisingly, struck a much more neutral tone.

Elsewhere, Cuban-Americans danced and celebrated on the streets of Miami.

Post subject: Re: Fidel Castro has kicked the bucket.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:58 pm 

I'm not going to deny Castro was a nasty piece of work. But I can't help but come back to the fact that the US was in large part responsible for this whole godawful mess. After all, you guys installed Batista, which generated hatred of the US in Cuba and paved the way for Castro's rise. There are parallels with Iran too. You installed a brutal dictator there, the Iranians got pissed off at you and had a revolution that created a worse regime. Noticing a pattern?

I also can't help but notice also the hilariously abject failure of the US in dealing with Castro throughout his reign. You may have been well-meaning with those sanctions, but all you've done over the decades is help impoverish Cuba more and generate more resentment over there. You may also notice your sixty year embargo has done absolutely nothing to break Cuba's dictatorship. Which is why I think Obama breaking the embargo was a good idea: because it didn't fucking work, and it was time to try something else.

I'm reminded a bit of Tito in Yugoslavia and the relationship he had with Stalin in the USSR. Stalin wanted Yugoslavia within his orbit, and so he threatened and tried to have Tito assassinated. Tito not only flipped Stalin the bird, he had those Soviet assassins killed and their remains sent back to Moscow with a message saying "Keep sending these guys my way, and I'll send assassins after you. And unlike yours, mine will not fail." Stalin backed way off after that. :lol:

Putting aside that these two men were complete assholes, I can't help but notice a stark contrast. The Soviets understood their plan against Yugoslavia wasn't working, and changed tack. The US meanwhile, dogmatically kept to the same plan against Cuba. And as the saying goes, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

snowman1989 wrote:
You may have been well-meaning with those sanctions, but all you've done over the decades is help impoverish Cuba more and generate more resentment over there. You may also notice your sixty year embargo has done absolutely nothing to break Cuba's dictatorship.
That tends to be the way of economic sanctions, that I've seen: They're efficient for looking proactive about a problem with another nation's governing power, while only seriously impacting on the citizens of that nation outside that governing power.

Which does, of course, mean that if continually looking proactive is the actual goal, it's quite an effective approach.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

The Phiend wrote:
snowman1989 wrote:
You may have been well-meaning with those sanctions, but all you've done over the decades is help impoverish Cuba more and generate more resentment over there. You may also notice your sixty year embargo has done absolutely nothing to break Cuba's dictatorship.
That tends to be the way of economic sanctions, that I've seen: They're efficient for looking proactive about a problem with another nation's governing power, while only seriously impacting on the citizens of that nation outside that governing power.

Which does, of course, mean that if continually looking proactive is the actual goal, it's quite an effective approach.

Some thought-provoking firsthand insights about that.

Spoiler: Lifting the sanctions benefited absolutely no one in Cuba but the Castro regime themselves. It served to prop up that government at a critical moment, when Fidel's health was failing and Raoul had relatively little power and influence; a point when the application of additional pressure could have potentially served as a catalyst for real, positive change.

Much like his unwillingness to support the "Green Revolution" in Iran early in his presidency, Obama did exactly the wrong thing at exactly the wrong time, and a brutal, despotic government reaped the benefits.