Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Unnamed DC Superhero" to be rewritten as gay
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:21 am 
Site Admin

And the latest cheap sales gimmick is...
ABC News wrote:
May 21, 2012 6:49pm
Comics Cliffhanger as Unnamed DC Superhero to Come Out of Closet

ABC News' Jason Volack reports:

For the first time, a major comic book character won't be ambiguously gay anymore.

DC Comics, whose portfolio includes such iconic characters as Batman and Robin, Superman, and Wonder Woman, plans next month to reintroduce one of its major superheroes as openly gay. Just not yet.

"One of the major iconic DC characters will reveal that he is gay in a storyline in June," Courtney Simmons, DC Entertainment's senior vice president of publicity, confirmed to ABC News.

So which one is it? The folks at DC Comics aren't saying, but they do say it's the latest effort to make sure their comics keep up with the times.

Last September, DC Comics relaunched its entire line of comic books to feature an updated look and a new lineup of LGBT superheroes: including Voodoo, an African American bisexual woman and Batwoman, an open lesbian.

Batwoman garnered DC comics an Outstanding Comic Book award from GLAAD, an advocacy and watchdog organization for LGBT issues.

"DC and (archrival) Marvel are recognizing that there is an LGBT audience that has been reading their comics for years," said Matt Kane, associate director of entertainment and media for GLAAD. "When creating these fictional worlds it's important to show the full diversity."

Aside from making good business sense, Kane said younger readers are perfectly comfortable with gay characters and expect to see their peers represented.

Although DC Comics' plan to plans to reintroduce a major character as gay is new, gay characters in comic books are not.

Marvel Comic's Northstar was revealed to be in a gay relationship back in 2009. Archie Comics introduced a gay character in 2010, and there was a gay wedding in Riverdale in 2011.

Rumors are swirling that Northstar too is expected to tie the knot to his boyfriend Kyle.

"They are recognizing how the world is evolving," said Kane.

Northstar came out of the closet back in the '90s, because I actually remember it. It was supposed to be this big daring controversial move or something, but as I recall, nobody really cared because he was part of Alpha Flight, which was a book nobody read.

My opinion on this is pretty simple. If they want to introduce new characters and heroes who are gay, that's fine. More power to 'em. But rewriting existing ones, and particularly ones who've been major cultural icons for decades upon decades, to fit the politics of the moment is not cool. At all.

Post subject: Re: "Unnamed DC Superhero" to be rewritten as gay
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:21 pm 
Global Moderator

Kind of silly, but whatever. I am a little curious who it'll be tho.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

Green Lantern Alan Scott, apparently.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:50 am 
Site Admin

The Phiend wrote:

Who? :roll:

I guess I'm glad they didn't try and pull this with someone like Superman or Batman, but on the other hand, picking such an obscure character kind of seems to defeat the purpose of what they were presumably aiming for...doesn't it?

Oh well, I guess the story's over, then.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:11 am 
Global Moderator

Not long ago some Batman write made some statement saying Batman was gay. Not like an official storyline statement, but he said it nonetheless. I'm glad it turned out to be a character that's been dead for like 50 years. :P Not that I care if a superhero is gay or anything, just kinda dumb to say, "yeah, you know that character that's been in love with this girl for the last 50 years of story? Yeah, he's gay. He never really loved her, he was just afraid to come out."

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
Not long ago some Batman write made some statement saying Batman was gay. Not like an official storyline statement, but he said it nonetheless. I'm glad it turned out to be a character that's been dead for like 50 years. :P Not that I care if a superhero is gay or anything, just kinda dumb to say, "yeah, you know that character that's been in love with this girl for the last 50 years of story? Yeah, he's gay. He never really loved her, he was just afraid to come out."
Yeah, that was pretty much what I was trying to say, too.

As for the Batman thing, I think this is the interview in question. (site NSFW)

Last edited by CWS on Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah yeah

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:57 am 
Global Moderator

Yeah, that's the one. May want to warn that link goes to Playboy's website in case someone is blindly clicking from work. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:11 am 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
Yeah, that's the one. May want to warn that link goes to Playboy's website in case someone is blindly clicking from work. :)

Sorry. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:31 am 
Global Moderator

I wasn't, I have no net access at work, so it didn't affect me, I just happened to notice. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:46 am 

Goddamn DC, you really suck at this minority representation thing. You kick up a fuss over someone becoming gay: "Oh, this guy's a HUGE, MAJOR, IMPORTANT character!" Then you reveal it's someone who has no real media exposure (ie: EVERYONE IN THE ENTIRE DCU except Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Robin) . It's tantamount to saying that someone from the Addam's Family has revealed himself to be gay, and then when everyone speculates over Mr. Addam, Cousin Itt or Uncle Fester, you turn around and say: "No, it's that obscure fourth cousin three times removed on the mother's side whom the family never mentions." :?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:01 am 
Site Admin

And now there's this. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Quote:
Iceman, one of the original X-Men, will come out as gay this week
Marvel continues its push for diversity in comics

By Kwame Opam on April 21, 2015 02:32 pm

Bobby Drake, otherwise known as classic X-Men member Iceman, will come out of the closet this week. In a collection of leaked panels from All-New X-Men #40, due out tomorrow, Drake finds himself outed by fellow teammate Jean Grey. The revelation makes Iceman one of the most prominent (and powerful) LGBT superheroes in Marvel comics, and is in keeping with the company's push for more diversity among its characters.

The circumstances surrounding the character's coming out are unique, to say the least. Readers discover that the past, teenaged Bobby Drake, who has been transported to the future along with the original X-Men to help solve a crisis, is gay. Meanwhile, the present-day Iceman — who is still very much around — has had relationships with multiple women in the past. Apparently, that was an act: (...)

I'll repeat what I said in the original post, because it is much more relevant in this instance.
CWS wrote:
My opinion on this is pretty simple. If they want to introduce new characters and heroes who are gay, that's fine. More power to 'em. But rewriting existing ones, and particularly ones who've been major cultural icons for decades upon decades, to fit the politics of the moment is not cool. At all.
It's all the more insulting in this case because Bobby's rabid skirt-chasing has always been one of the most prominent and defining aspects of his personality. He's comparable to Beast Boy in that respect, in fact.

EDIT: Also, I thought Jean was dead again, or something...? Well, with her, I guess that's never really mattered much, has it.

Last edited by CWS on Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
RESPAWN