Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pets
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:25 am 

Okay, now it's the time for talking about animals, which can be really close to your heart (pets), but some of you can really afraid of them. Are there animals which you really are afraid of? Or is there something that you love? Do you have any pets? Want to tell us about it/them?

Post subject: Re: Pets
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:32 pm 
Site Admin

I like animals in general, but am particularly fond of dogs. I had a wonderful schnauzer / sheep dog mix named Snuff from 1981 to 1997, then an even more wonderful Golden Retriever named Penny from 1997 to 2011. My family also got a Golden puppy named Lucy in December of 2011, but she was adopted by a different family a few months later.

As for the "really afraid of" question, I guess that would be spiders for me...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:47 pm 

I also have a golden retriever and she is very naughty. I do want to put her in a training institute but I cannot afford one. I'm searching for devices/things that will help me train her. Any suggestion? ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

Onyx wrote:
I also have a golden retriever and she is very naughty. I do want to put her in a training institute but I cannot afford one. I'm searching for devices/things that will help me train her. Any suggestion? ;)
Well, I don't pretend to be an expert on the topic, but most people who are will tell you that many behavioral problems can be addressed by improving understanding and communication between pet owners and their pets. Golden Retrievers generally tend to be exceptionally well-behaved dogs. Take the time to research, think about and understand why your dog is behaving the way she is. Canine mental and emotional intelligence can approach and even be comparable to that of young children, so that's worth keeping in mind.

As far as training resources go, I'd personally recommend Victoria Stillwell's website Positively and some of the books she's written on the subject.

If I may ask, how old is your dog and what are some of the things she's doing that are causing problems for you?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:11 pm 

CWS wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Well, I don't pretend to be an expert on the topic, but most people who are will tell you that many behavioral problems can be addressed by improving understanding and communication between pet owners and their pets. Golden Retrievers generally tend to be exceptionally well-behaved dogs. Take the time to research, think about and understand why your dog is behaving the way she is. Canine mental and emotional intelligence can approach and even be comparable to that of young children, so that's worth keeping in mind.

As far as training resources go, I'd personally recommend Victoria Stillwell's website Positively and some of the books she's written on the subject.

If I may ask, how old is your dog and what are some of the things she's doing that are causing problems for you?

Hi cws, I checked Victoria Stillwell's website, I'm really grateful for your recommendation because I learned about some training devices such as shock collar, Victoria said that shock collar is a good training device, it comes in handy for a wide variety of situations that can both improve your dog's behavior and even protect her from harm. I just want to ask again for your recommendation because I saw these shock collar online and I don't know which collar should I get for my pet? Can you recommend one?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

Onyx wrote:
CWS wrote:
Onyx wrote:

Hi cws, I checked Victoria Stillwell's website, I'm really grateful for your recommendation because I learned about some training devices such as shock collar, Victoria said that shock collar is a good training device, it comes in handy for a wide variety of situations that can both improve your dog's behavior and even protect her from harm. I just want to ask again for your recommendation because I saw these shock collar online and I don't know which collar should I get for my pet? Can you recommend one?
Um...actually, no, her position is the opposite of that; she detests shock collars and so do I. I have also personally seen situations where they were totally ineffective, and could in fact exacerbate problem behavior.

May I ask again for some examples of things your dog is doing, that you want to change?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:09 pm 
Site Admin

I hope you don't think I was trying to chase you off...if anything, I think we just had a bit of a miscommunication, is all. :|

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:30 am 
Site Admin

I take it that's that, then? How unfortunate.