Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cannot install video drivers
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

Instead of a single catch-all tech support thread, it would probably work better to have a dedicated subforum; I'll set that up shortly.

Anyway, for the past several days I've been fighting to update the video drivers for my GTX 680. The existing driver was uninstalled, of course, but when trying to install the new driver, or even reinstall the previous one, the installation always fails for unspecified reasons, no matter what. I've tried every possible method and approach I can think of, and met with failure after failure. I even tried reverting to a previous state using System Restore, and that failed, again for unspecified reasons. I even tried taking the 680 out altogether and putting my ancient GTX 9800 card back in, but it refuses to install the drivers for that card, either.

This process has been frustrating, to say the least. At this point, the only thing I can think of to try next is to reformat and reinstall Windows. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions short of that?

Post subject: Re: Cannot install video drivers
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:36 pm 
Site Admin

Update...per Zanth's advice, I tried running sfc /scannow and chkdsk /x /r c: from an Admin command line prompt; the problem persists. I also tried following the steps described in this link to remove all Nvidia references from my system's registry; still no dice. Finally, I went out on a limb and reinstalled and ran Malwarebytes; it didn't find anything and I still can't install the driver.

The only other approach I can think of at this point is to reinstall Windows and hope that fixes the problem...but I'd really rather not do that if I don't have to, so if anyone can think of anything else at all, please let me know.

Post subject: Re: Cannot install video drivers
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:59 am 
Site Admin

Finally got this resolved with the Win10 "refresh" feature, which partially reinstalls Windows but without completely wiping everything and starting over from scratch.

I've still had to reinstall and restore a ton of stuff, and am still in the process of doing so, but at least the problem's finally fixed.