Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Total War: Three Kingdoms
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:33 pm 

After a few years of Warhammer, Creative Assembly is returning to historical war games... kinda. :? I say "kinda," because while Romance of the Three Kingdoms" is based on real events in China, the story of it was written by a Ming author who wrote over a thousand years after the fact and heavily romanticised events. The novel is one of the four great works of literature of Chinese culture, and it is insanely popular in China, Korea, Japan, Vietnam and other East Asian nations. It is China's equivalent to the Iliad, or to Shakespeare in that many of the quotes from the novel have become popular sayings in China.

China is both salivating over this, and wondering why THEY aren't making this game.

I'm not very knowledgeable about the time and place set in the game. What I do know, is that the game is set during the destruction of the Han Dynasty and the division of China into three rival "Kingdoms" who compete for supremacy. I say "Kingdoms," because all three rulers crowned themselves Emperor and claimed the Mandate to rule China, which lead to roughly sixty years of endemic fighting until the Jin Dynasty reunified the country. The period is marked as one of the bloodiest in Chinese history, and gave rise to some of Chinese culture's most memorable and unique personalities. I suspect "hero units" are going to be a thing, which may stretch the historical authenticity, but the problem is because it's been so heavily romanticised it's impossible to discern fact from fiction.

In spite of that, I'm actually glad we're finally getting some games set in China. It's a breath of fresh air, and it's a period of history largely unknown in the West. We could use a bit more exposure, since China's become a major force in the world once more.

Post subject: Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

snowman1989 wrote:
After a few years of Warhammer, Creative Assembly is returning to historical war games... kinda. :? I say "kinda," because while Romance of the Three Kingdoms" is based on real events in China, the story of it was written by a Ming author who wrote over a thousand years after the fact and heavily romanticised events. The novel is one of the four great works of literature of Chinese culture, and it is insanely popular in China, Korea, Japan, Vietnam and other East Asian nations. It is China's equivalent to the Iliad, or to Shakespeare in that many of the quotes from the novel have become popular sayings in China.
Yeah, the "Romance" video game franchise goes all the way back to the NES/Famicom, if not even further. So in that sense, at least, I don't think it's accurate to say that the period or setting are largely unknown in the West. We've been playing games about it since the 1980s! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:23 pm 

CWS wrote:
Yeah, the "Romance" video game franchise goes all the way back to the NES/Famicom, if not even further. So in that sense, at least, I don't think it's accurate to say that the period or setting are largely unknown in the West. We've been playing games about it since the 1980s! :lol:

We have? This is the first I've ever heard of them. For the most part, all games set in Asia tend to focus on Japan more than anything. At least, that's been my experience. :?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:16 am 
Site Admin

snowman1989 wrote:
CWS wrote:
We have? This is the first I've ever heard of them. For the most part, all games set in Asia tend to focus on Japan more than anything. At least, that's been my experience. :?
Huh. Perhaps there's an interesting disparity between the US and NZ console game markets...or...perhaps it's, well, a generational thing? :P

Anyway, yeah, there were at least two of them released for the NES, over here, at least. Can't say I recall ever having played any of them personally, but I definitely remember seeing them on store shelves, both the title and the box art were pretty memorable. Apparently they were fairly deep (for the time) strategy games, which were an extreme rarity on the NES and a pretty small niche market. As such, it was hardly a well-known series; in fact they were downright obscure, so one could be excused for not knowing about the earlier installments. Nevertheless, Koei has evidently continued to doggedly release them across multiple platforms, ever since 1989.