Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Joker
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:21 am 

A few months ago we got test footage of Joaquin Phoenix's Joker, which I'll show first before we get to the meat.

Anyway, a few days ago a trailer was released for the new Joker movie, which comes out on 4 October. I feel they missed an opportunity for a closer Hallowe'en release, considering the material at hand. Oh well. :|

So, a lot to cover here. I was hesitant to put this in the DCU category, since this is a stand-alone film. Not just that, it doesn't play like a superhero(villain) movie at all, but a psychological thriller. It feels too grounded to be a comic book movie, and instead has a Scorsese feel. I get the feeling DC might finally have learned their lesson, and are starting to move away from universe-spanning epics, because let's face it, they fucked it up. :lol: If they want to compete with Marvel, THIS is how they do it; produce quality, stand-alone films, much like they already have done in the animation department. More than that, it appears that DC is willing to take risks and go in more experimental directions if Joker is anything to go by.

From the looks of the trailer, I'm encouraged. So far they've hit the right notes. I'm seeing a lot of inspiration from The Killing Joke, and that late night show scene looks like they might replicate the infamous massacre the Joker commits in The Dark Knight Returns.

Post subject: Re: Joker
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

It does look interesting, and Joaquin Phoenix is a hell of an actor. But I have to confess that I have somewhat mixed feelings about them doing a "definitive" origin story for the Joker. It could take away one of the foundational aspects of his character, which is the uncertainty of no one ever truly knowing who he is, or where he came from. Which in turn makes his actions that much more unpredictable and frightening.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:30 pm 

I understand why you've got reservations. I've had the same thoughts. But I'd be fine with it if (a) this is an Elseworlds story, or (b) "Arthur" is an unreliable narrator whose account contradicts parts of his own story. I could imagine the ending being Joker locked up in Arkham and it turns out he's been recounting the story to Batman or his therapist, and at the end he's asked if any of that really happened. To which he simply smiles. ;)

Besides, the Joker has been given an origin story in cinema before. Remember Jack Nicholson?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:46 pm 
Site Admin

snowman1989 wrote:
Besides, the Joker has been given an origin story in cinema before. Remember Jack Nicholson?
Yes, that's why I have reservations. :P

I do agree with your idea about the whole thing possibly being just another bullshit story he's concocted, but the trailer really doesn't convey that impression...of course, that may not mean anything, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.