Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Robin Williams, R.I.P.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:35 pm 
Contributing Staff

So I wake up today to hear Robin Williams is dead. Killed himself, apparently, after years spent battling crippling depression.

I loved the guy. Genie, I'll miss you.

Post subject: Re: Robin Williams, R.I.P.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:53 pm 

Loki Kola wrote:
So I wake up today to hear Robin Williams is dead. Killed himself, apparently, after years spent battling crippling depression.

This is indeed sad news, but I think this would be better as a separate thread. Not because this topic doesn't belong here but because his awesomeness, and how the world will miss it, can only be done justice to with his own thread.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:10 pm 
Site Admin

snowman1989 wrote:
Loki Kola wrote:

This is indeed sad news, but I think this would be better as a separate thread. Not because this topic doesn't belong here but because his awesomeness, and how the world will miss it, can only be done justice to with his own thread.

I agree. What an unpleasant surprise (Williams' passing, not my state of agreement). :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:19 am 

I sense there is a rift between you and I, Corey.

So... suicidal depression seems like it's going to be the main cause of death. Pretty dark road to go down. I often wonder how it can be possible for your own mind to conspire to destroy you like that. It's a frightening thought sometimes, given just how common depression has become in modern life and how few of us seem to ask for help at the time when we need it most because of the social stigma that still sticks to the illness. Was Robin Williams afraid that we'd think less of him, even after all the work that he's done? After having given so much joy to so many millions? It doesn't change how I see him: as one of the greatest comedians and actors of the previous generation, a man who had such infectiously positive energy and charisma.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:48 am 
Site Admin

snowman1989 wrote:
I sense there is a rift between you and I, Corey.
I honestly didn't intend for my reply to convey that impression. It appears that in trying to avoid a misunderstanding, I unintentionally created one. :oops: My apologies.

As for depression to the point of suicidality...well. I've never actually attempted suicide, so I won't pretend to have any particular insight, there. But I have wrestled with chronic, long-term, and often very severe depression for most of my life, and it's an ongoing situation. So, if I were to speculate...I'd guess it results from arriving at a point where you can no longer find joy in anything, even the things that have always held the most meaning for you. And further, that you cannot imagine finding any possible joy in any foreseeable future.

That'd be my guess, at least.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:57 am 
Site Admin

There's one thing I need to say for the record, based on some things I've been hearing and reading the past few days.

A few people have attempted to draw political lessons from Robin Williams' suicide. Not many, but a few. I think this is both inappropriate and wrongheaded, no matter how much I may otherwise agree with, respect and/or admire some of those people.

I really don't view this as necessarily being part of the left/right dichotomy, or at least it shouldn't be, anyway. Rather, I think it's simply impossible for anyone who's never truly dealt with depression to fully understand it.

I do not mean that in a condescending way, mind you. I mean it in the sense that I've never had cancer or leukemia, and I therefore acknowledge that my comprehension of those conditions are limited by the scope of my personal experience.

Also, you can disapprove of suicide without showing scorn or contempt for those who've committed or attempted it. Those people are already their own worst tormenters.