Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Video Game Junkies, Sorta-Anonymous
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:06 pm 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
Well, the Assassin's Creed series is not an RPG series in the slightest... I just flet the first one lacked any real variety in what you did. They go thru all this complecated control scheme, and with what I could stomach, I only used maybe 1/4 of it before I was bored out my mind. That aside, I am quite enjoying the PS Vita one, it at least offers more variety in your tasks and utilizes the different control elements.
In my opinion, Assassin's Creed II is by far and away the best game in the series. And perhaps not coincidentally, it does have a lot more RPG elements than the first game did.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:36 am 

@Zanth You are probably right, but I was given the impression otherwise from other sources at the time. Sort of like being told "this is the funniest movie ever!" only to find that your belly hurts, and it's not from laughing. I do agree about the Gordian Knot-like controls, which most didn't seem useful.

Meh, it's gone from my life now, so it's going to be okay.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:48 am 
Contributing Staff

I thought Brotherhood was the best. Though I enjoyed the characters and story in AC2 a bit more. Revelations was a huge step back and the bomb making was either tacked on or feature creep, and I'm not sure which is worse. Den Defence sucked ass. Haven't yet played AC3. =/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:47 am 

@CWS Sent ya an add request. Got two accounts, don't ask.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:08 pm 
Global Moderator

Mine is Zanth99, I don't play my XBox all that much, but may as well toss a request. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:41 am 

Added!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:15 pm 
Site Admin

Loki Kola wrote:
I thought Brotherhood was the best. Though I enjoyed the characters and story in AC2 a bit more. Revelations was a huge step back and the bomb making was either tacked on or feature creep, and I'm not sure which is worse. Den Defence sucked ass. Haven't yet played AC3. =/
Brotherhood was decent, but there were three things that detracted from it enough that it ranks below ACII in my personal opinion. One was that the story just didn't feel as epic (not terribly surprising since the second game spanned literally the first 40 years of Ezio's life). Second is that even though Rome is enormous, having nearly the entire game take place in just that one city makes the backdrop feel more limited compared to the variety of different locales in the first two games, as well as the countryside between them. And third is the thing I have mentioned several times in the past: hidden in the secret puzzle mini-game in AC: Brotherhood is an unbelievably offensive political statement.

I'm sure several of you probably roll your eyes at that, thinking something along the lines of "there he goes with his knee-jerk, hypersensitive politics again". And you probably would have a point, in some cases. But I can assure you that this is not one of them, because AC: Brotherhood goes sooo much further than pretty much any political reference or veiled sentiment I've ever seen in any game.

For those who haven't played it, in both ACII and Brotherhood, there are a number of hidden locations you can find which unlock a series of puzzle sequences, which if successfully completed will reveal what the game strongly suggests is the "hidden truth" behind various historical events. And taken as a whole, their message pretty much boils down very explicitly to this:
[Reveal] Spoiler: Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
ALL CAPITALISTS, CHRISTIANS, CONSTITUTIONAL ORIGINALISTS, POLITICAL CONSERVATIVES AND REPUBLICANS ARE EVIL, OR AT THE VERY LEAST UNWITTING TOOLS OF EVIL. IN FACT THE ONLY TRULY HEROIC PEOPLE ON EARTH ARE STRAIGHT UP COMMUNIST REVOLUTIONARIES.

I do not exaggerate. The game explicitly identifies several conservative American politicians (for example, Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld) and several currently-sitting Supreme Court Justices (all of whom just happen to be appointees of Republican Presidents) as Templars, which are the diabolical villains of the Assassin's Creed series that are apparently responsible for virtually every disaster and/or calamity that's occurred throughout the whole of human history, perhaps even going back as far as Adam and Eve. (Though given the past year, they may have been on to something with John Roberts, after all.) It also superimposes the symbol of the Order of Assassins (who are, obviously, the heroes of the series) on banners bearing the likeness of Mao Tse Tung and other such symbols on prominent display in what are clearly photos taken at communist rallies. Y'know, just in case the unwitting gamer hasn't yet figured out who they're supposed to hate and who they're supposed to love.

You ought to receive the ".. .- -- .- .-.. .. ...- ." achievement in Brotherhood just for reading that. Just to add further insult, once unlocked these messages are filed in an in-game menu labeled "THE TRUTH". If the sentiments expressed in the spoilered statement fail to offend you, try swapping in a few other religious, ethnic or political terms and see if you can understand my point.

Jude wrote:
@CWS At the very least it makes it easier for me, since I barely grasp how the whole Live thing works. (No, that is not an invitation for an explanation or tutorial.)
Jude wrote:
@CWS Sent ya an add request. Got two accounts, don't ask.
Man, I must have really been annoying back when. :(

Last edited by CWS on Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Obligatory

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:33 am 
Site Admin

Have spent the past few days absorbed in Dust: An Elysian Tail (hence the curious-looking nimbat in my banner-thing), which is actually a really amazing game. Especially considering the fact that the voice cast far outnumber the actual artists, animators and programmers. Of which there was, uh, one. :shock:

And that's one total, not one of each.

Before you say "Yeah, so?" please take note of how the game looks. It is easily the most visually beautiful 2D side-scroller I've ever seen. Which in my case, is saying quite a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:47 am 
Site Admin

Deadlight was honestly kind of a disappointment, I'm glad I only paid half price for it.

Meanwhile in Borderlands 2, my Axton has finally hit level 50, so I guess now I'll switch to a different character until they raise the level cap. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:09 am 
Contributing Staff

I've been playing way too much of Planetside 2. Free to Play MMOFPS (although you can buy subscriptions that offer great incentives) of immense and awesome scale. That trailer's mostly accurate; only I've never seen a Light Assault troop manage all that in one life. The end sequence (the orbital drop) is very real, and happens in game all the time, though.

EDIT: Found a suitable gameplay video that fully shows off the fun you can have in this game. And the awesome moments that can crop up out of nowhere.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:28 am 
Site Admin

Loki Kola wrote:

I've been playing way too much of Planetside 2. Free to Play MMOFPS (although you can buy subscriptions that offer great incentives) of immense and awesome scale. That trailer's mostly accurate; only I've never seen a Light Assault troop manage all that in one life. The end sequence (the orbital drop) is very real, and happens in game all the time, though.

EDIT: Found a suitable gameplay video that fully shows off the fun you can have in this game. And the awesome moments that can crop up out of nowhere.

Man. That looks pretty damn cool, all right.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:10 am 
Site Admin

I'm only a couple hours into it but so far, Bioshock Infinite is every bit as awe-inspiring as I expected.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:31 pm 
Global Moderator

CWS wrote:
I'm only a couple hours into it but so far, Bioshock Infinite is every bit as awe-inspiring as I expected.

Say I was unimpressed by the first one, and thought the second was terrible, how might I find Infinite?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:35 pm 
Site Admin

Zanth wrote:
CWS wrote:
Say I was unimpressed by the first one, and thought the second was terrible, how might I find Infinite?
I can't really say without knowing why you disliked the previous game(s). I really only count the first one because Bioshock 2 was produced by an entirely different studio in an obvious and uninspired effort to cash in on the first game's success. So yeah, it kinda was terrible.

Personally...I think Irrational just has a phenomenal way of coming up with truly original and thought-provoking concepts, then using them to tell genuinely moving stories with fascinating characters, and totally immersing the player in it all. Bioshock, to me, is like...stepping into and walking through a meticulously crafted painting, where you know that everything you see and hear, down to the smallest of details, has been carefully, thoughtfully and deliberately placed as part of a huge, brilliant design that won't become fully apparent until after you've experienced all of it. Stories that are intended, above all else, to make you think, and the more you think about and analyze them, the more you appreciate how many carefully crafted layers there truly are to it, and how perfectly it all fits together.

And that's not even touching on the superb level design and fantastic gameplay, which actually dares -- and more importantly, succeeds! -- to create an original and honestly unique experience among the very crowded first-person-shooter genre.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:32 pm 
Global Moderator

The first one I wasn't interested in the story and found the gameplay un-inspiring. It just did nothing for me. I didn't feel compelled to keep playing it for any reason.

*shrug*

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:43 am 
Site Admin

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is pretty cool and extremely addictive.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:58 pm 
Global Moderator

Yup, played thru that several times already.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:24 pm 
Site Admin

I seem to have gotten hooked on Starcraft II again, after finally getting Heart of the Swarm for my birthday.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

So I see Steam has Bioshock Infinite on sale for 50% off this week.

I'm just sayin'. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:04 pm 
Global Moderator

When it hist 75%, we'll talk.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next