Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:43 pm 
Site Admin

So, I'm at least three years late to this particular party. My younger brother suggested some time ago that I start watching it, and now I wish I'd started sooner. My mom would have loved it.

For the one or two of you who might not be familiar with the series, here's my setup pitch. :P

Stranger Things

The series opens in October of 1983, in the small rural town of Hawkins, Indiana. A town where generations have grown up in close proximity, and everybody knows everybody else.

In this town live four young boys whose shared interests have both united them with each other, and made them social outcasts. Completely unrepentant nerds, they call themselves "the party". They love Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and horror movies, and spend most of their spare time in the basement of one boy's house, playing D&D.

That particular boy has an older sister who is dating the most popular guy in school. Another of the boys has an older brother who is a friendless, introspective loner. Their struggling single mother is played by Winona Ryder.

The town's chief of police is a haunted man who drinks and uses drugs to cope with a devastating personal loss.

There is also a young girl who has been raised in a top secret government laboratory on the outskirts of town, where she has been trained from birth to develop her potent psychokinetic abilities as a secret weapon for a Cold War in which knowledge and insight are the most valuable assets. She has no name, only a number.

An experiment at this same facility has accidentally opened a door to a parallel dimension inhabited by Lovecraftian, parasitic horrors, and it is about to unleash hell upon the world.

That's basically where the first episode starts.

What I say next will sound rather elitist, though it's not intended to be, it's a simple statement of fact. But in order to fully appreciate this show, your formative years really need to have been in the early '80s. There are countless small details and references that are aimed directly at this very specific demographic, because we're the only ones who would have any reason to notice them.

It's funny. I was telling my brother recently that when I was a kid, I remember being perpetually annoyed by the way everyone was always going on about the '60s. But now, I find that '80s nostalgia has a surprisingly strong and very specific appeal for me.

Post subject: Re: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:35 am 
Site Admin

Other notable elements that are introduced as the series progresses include a Demogorgon, Eggo waffles, Dig Dug, Sean Astin, Dragon's Lair, Paul Reiser, the Lost Sister, the Mind Flayer, the mall, New Coke, Cary Elwes, and, finally, THE RUSSIANS.

So, yeah. :yuri: