Easter massacre in Sri Lanka

For the discussion of current events and political debate.
NOTE: You will find strong opinions here. Some of them may will probably offend you. Read the rules carefully before posting.
CWS
Site Admin

Easter massacre in Sri Lanka

Post by CWS »

A series of coordinated suicide bombings at several Catholic churches and hotels in Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday have left at least 290 Christians dead, and an additional 450 500 injured.

While no one has, to my knowledge, claimed responsibility at this point, we have seen this scenario play out enough times over the past couple decades, all across the globe, to know exactly what happened here. And the scale and coordinated nature of the attacks was far too organized to have been the work of a few random crazies.

Some continue to insist that we are not witnessing a clash of civilizations, but those who do most of the killing seem awfully determined to prove otherwise.
Last edited by CWS on Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated numbers.
Image Image
Snow banner by Synkopated; Family banner by The Phiend

snowman1989

Re: Easter massacre in Sri Lanka

Post by snowman1989 »

Nothing I've seen indicates this was a revenge attack for Christchurch. 24 hour news media is jumping to conclusions and tying unrelated events to one another. But I wouldn't have thought Sri Lanka would have a terror attack on Christians by Islamic extremists. My understanding was that Sri Lanka's main issue was between the Buddhist Sinhalese and the Hindu Tamil minority. The civil war ended only a few years ago.

CWS
Site Admin

Re: Easter massacre in Sri Lanka

Post by CWS »

snowman1989 wrote:Nothing I've seen indicates this was a revenge attack for Christchurch. 24 hour news media is jumping to conclusions and tying unrelated events to one another. But I wouldn't have thought Sri Lanka would have a terror attack on Christians by Islamic extremists.
And yet, that's exactly what happened here.

For the record, I don't buy the "revenge" justification either, because as I noted in my previous post, there are indications that this attack had been planned for months, if not longer. That's simply what the wannabe-ISIS filth who are cheering this bloodbath online have claimed. If the massacre in Christchurch hadn't happened last month, they'd be citing something else.
Image Image
Snow banner by Synkopated; Family banner by The Phiend