Sincronos.net Forums

Sincronos.net Forums

Nothing is permanent, everything is constant.

It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lucasfilm's Kathleen Kennedy: "no source material" for Star Wars
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:09 am 
Site Admin

You've probably already heard about this, but it demands a forum thread for posterity because...well, I'll just let it speak for itself.

So Rolling Stone published an interview with Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy the other day, and the opening paragraph must be read to be believed.

Interviewer Brian Hiatt asked Kennedy, "Jurassic World director Colin Trevorrow was slated to write and direct Episode IX before you brought J.J. Abrams back in. Is this final entry in the trilogy a particularly hard nut to crack?" Her answer:
Kathleen Kennedy wrote:
Every one of these movies is a particularly hard nut to crack. There’s no source material. We don’t have comic books. We don’t have 800-page novels. We don’t have anything other than passionate storytellers who get together and talk about what the next iteration might be.
Emphasis mine.

So. Yeah. Compared to, say, comic book movies, Star Wars movies are harder to write because there's no existing source material to draw on. She really, honestly said that.

And to be fair, I'm sure she's right. I mean, it's not like there was 20+ years of published material by highly accomplished, distinguished authors and creators that they decided to arbitrarily broom in its entirety when they took over the company, or anything like that. It's gotta be tough.

Okay, let's cut the bullshit now. This woman is a complete embarrassment and a disgrace. She's an ideologically-driven hack, which might be excusable were she not also a staggeringly incompetent airhead who has no idea what she's doing, and as supporting evidence for that I direct you to the production of every Star Wars movie after Rogue One. The development of Solo was such a legendary train wreck that it's nothing short of a miracle that anything remotely viewable came out on the other side (and for the record, I don't think it was a terrible movie). Both in that case and now with The Rise of Skywalker, they hired unqualified directors only to fire and replace them well into production for one reason or another. The developers of Game of Thrones just walked away from a planned trilogy Lucasfilm wanted them to make -- not just one movie, but an entire trilogy of movies. And you'll notice I haven't even mentioned that other movie, though on that note, Rian Johnson's public statements about his own long-planned trilogy have grown increasingly vague, evasive and self-contradictory of late. Disney's Bob Iger has also announced that theatrical Star Wars movies would be going on "hiatus" after the release of TRoS, for an undetermined period.

So yeah, go read the entire interview for yourself. 'Cause if you think I just cherrypicked the worst of it...you'll quickly find out, I didn't.

Post subject: Re: Lucasfilm's Kathleen Kennedy: "no source material" for Star Wars
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:00 pm 

Nearly 40 years of material, of living pop-culture, Thanos-snapped by the Mouse. This is where everything went wrong. The seminal catastrophe that has doomed Star Wars. And what have the consequences been from this radical, iconoclastic, hubristic act? The comic books are outright stealing fanart and passing it off as original work. The video games under EA are fucked by microtransaction "live service" hell - sure, Fallen Order does some good things, but it's a bronze medal game at best, and EA's overall output of new Star Wars content has been utterly pathetic. There's plenty enough post-mortems on the Internet describing how godawful the sequel trilogy is, and the other movies aren't much better. The cartoon series Rebels had its moments, but was overall mediocre. I haven't seen it, but I've heard The Mandalorian shows promise - it may be the only thing keeping public interest in Star Wars on life support.

I experienced most of the EU through the video games, which consist of a small portion of it overall, but there is so much you could take from that alone, that could inspire fresh new ideas and approaches.

Star Wars TIE Fighter had you play as an ace pilot in the Empire, and you saw things from the Imperial perspective.
The Jedi Knight series had you play as Kyle Katarn, a very unconventional Jedi who travels down the Dark Side and the Light.
Knights of the Old Republic 2 introduces you to Kreia, hands-down the single best character in Star Wars video game history, and is one of the best-written characters of any medium. 8-) Her deconstruction of the Force is something to be admired, and its something nobody has dared tried to do since.

I feel like I'm rambling now, so I'll stop here. But I look at the EU, which possesses the richest repository of content of any franchise, and wonder how Disney can be so arrogant as to feel like it doesn't need to copy or adapt any of it. Why does it need to have a blank slate? Art doesn't pop up out of a vacuum.

Post subject: Re: Lucasfilm's Kathleen Kennedy: "no source material" for Star Wars
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:32 pm 

I mentioned Kreia in the previous post, and I just couldn't help it. I HAD to add this video about her, since it's an amazing analysis that's well worth watching the whole way through, and because when else am I going to get the chance to throw a spotlight on her? But before you freak out over how ridiculously long it is, I've added timestamps below so you can pick and choose what parts you want to see, or where you can stop watching for a while and not worry about trying to find where you left. If you open the video on Youtube, these same timestamps are displayed in the top comment in the comments section. It helps if you've played Knights of the Old Republic 2 first; I definitely recommend you play the game first, because SPOILERS. All of this is just a taster of what could have been, a taster of what Disney has so carelessly thrown away. By the way, this is also a STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER who isn't a bullshit Mary Sue, that ultra feminazi Kathleen says has never existed before Rey. :lol:

0:00 Intro
2:28 The Jedi Code
3:56 Jedi/Buddhist philosophy comparisons
5:10 The Sith Code
6:19 Sith/Nietzschean philosophy comparisons
7:10 Kreia's duality
8:25 Atris' path mirroring Kreia's past
9:49 Arren Kae's "fall" from the Jedi Order
11:30 The origins of Darth Traya
12:50 Why Jedi keep falling to the Dark Side
17:50 Anakin's example
19:50 Jolee Bindo's rejection of traditional Jedi teachings
21:05 Luke's conflict with the Jedi Code
21:52 The self-destruction of altruism
24:30 On Jedi training children - avoiding connections
26:20 The Sith's repeating pattern
27:10 Yuthura Ban's story
29:12 Anakin's emotional entrapment
32:18 Darth Traya becomes Kreia
32:55 Master Morality
33:42 The lamentations of Ajunta Pall
34:20 The unsustainable society of the Sith
34:58 The emptiness of revenge
37:50 What defines Kreia?
39:40 The Ithorians vs Czerka Corporation dilemma
43:10 Kreia's iconic parable on kindness and cruelty
47:00 Nar Shadda's lessons on manipulation
55:11 Kreia dominates Hanharr - a lesson on strength
1:02:52 Kreia's motivation
1:04:47 Jolee Bindo's parable on blindness - the story of Master Hortath
1:07:12 The Jedi Council's judgement of the Exile
1:09:02 Kreia's judgement of the Jedi council
1:09:34 The revelation of Atris' fall
1:10:50 Jedi/Sith similarities
1:12:20 The symbolic colours of the lightsabers
1:13:50 The corruption of the Dark Side
1:14:56 The weaknesses of dependence on the Force
1:22:03 The endless battles of Master Morality vs Slave Morality
1:26:00 Why Kreia hates the Force
1:28:53 Free Will, Choice vs Fate, and Destiny
1:35:42 The unsettling recurrance of events
1:37:00 Kreia's grand scheme
1:41:28 Name symbolism
1:42:48 The significance of the Exile and Malachor V
1:49:28 Kreia's final wish
1:50:52 Luke's original purpose
1:51:44 Conclusion

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:30 am 
Site Admin

I saw the first four episodes of The Mandalorian tonight, and it's pretty damn good. It makes me feel more optimistic about the upcoming Obi-Wan series. And I'll also continue to stand by Rogue One as having been a terrific movie that beautifully tied together all previous Star Wars media up to that point.

But as for the rest of Disney Star Wars.........