Whakaari Eruption

For the discussion of current events and political debate.
NOTE: You will find strong opinions here. Some of them may will probably offend you. Read the rules carefully before posting.
snowman1989

Whakaari Eruption

Post by snowman1989 »

Whakaari (White Island) should be a goddamn case study on learning where to draw the line on casual visitors approaching an active volcano. The sad news is that a few days ago, the volcano erupted while tourists were visiting the island. So far we have 16 confirmed fatalities and many more suffering horrific burns. Some of them have virtually no skin left anywhere. :o

A few weeks before, GNS issued a bulletin putting the volcanic alert level at 2, indicating significant volcanic unrest. This is also 1 step away from alert level 3: a localised eruption. Despite that, tour operators chose to head to the island anyway. I suppose they rationalised that eruptions can happen at any alert level - which is true - and felt that the risk was worth it. All visitors to the island have to wear hard hats and gas masks, which in normal circumstances would have been enough to ensure their safety. After all, White Island is constantly active and churning out steam and poison gas, and that activity lulled us all into a false sense of security. We thought the volcano to be predictable.

I've tried putting up a bird's eye view of White Island, but I've had no luck. Google Images has plenty of them, so if you want a visual aid, go there. I was going to try to visually demonstrate why any visitors would be absolutely fucked if there was an eruption - which there just was. And why it may be time for these tourist visits to STOP.

Here's the gist: White Island is a stratovolcano that is about 70% underwater, with only the tip-top of the mountain above water, and the crater is only 30m above sea level. Part of the crater wall is collapsed, allowing easy access by jetty to the crater itself. But that means there's only one way in, one way out. You're hemmed in by high crater walls on all sides except the part open to the sea, the air is thick with toxic gas, there's no man-made shelters and the main crater is only 700m away. In an eruption - if you're on the island, you have nowhere to go. Whakaari often erupts with bursts of hot ash, steam and gas that certainly rises upwards, but just as often travels across the land via the path of least resistance. That is to say, it follows the same route to the sea as the tourists. And anyone caught in that shit gets steam broiled.

CWS
Site Admin

Re: Whakaari Eruption

Post by CWS »

Jesus. I'd heard that was bad, but it sounds worse than I'd thought. I'm reminded somewhat of the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens (which I vaguely remember, having been three when it happened), but at least in this case the scope of the destruction will be relatively limited, being contained to an island. Not that that's of any consolation to anyone on the island in question, of course...

Any bets on how long it'll take someone to make this movie? :|
Image Image
Snow banner by Synkopated; Family banner by The Phiend

snowman1989

Post by snowman1989 »

We haven't made any movies about any of our eruptions. Not even our most famous one when Mt Tarawera erupted in 1886, killing c. 120 people (a conservative estimate) and destroying the Eighth Wonder of the World. I doubt this will be any different.

The official toll is currently 15, but this could still climb up higher because of the extent of the survivor's burns. I won't horrify you with the gory details. But a recovery mission by the army to Whakaari was completed yesterday to retrieve the bodies still on the island, though 2 bodies remain unaccounted for.

CWS
Site Admin

Post by CWS »

snowman1989 wrote:The official toll is currently 15, but this could still climb up higher because of the extent of the survivor's burns. I won't horrify you with the gory details.
Yeah, knowing that they'd ordered nearly 1,300 square feet of skin as of three days ago paints a sufficient picture all on its own. Not terribly surprising given what you've described, though.
Image Image
Snow banner by Synkopated; Family banner by The Phiend

snowman1989

Post by snowman1989 »

There's a great little graphic that the ABC has put together that gives a much better visual aid than I could have given. Just scroll down slowly.