Denis Villeneuve's DUNE

Arts & entertainment forum for the discussion of cinema, television, music, artwork, literature and so forth.
CWS
Site Admin

Denis Villeneuve's DUNE

Post by CWS »

For the past several years, acclaimed French director Denis Villeneuve has been quietly working on a new, big-budget adaptation of Frank Herbert's monumental science fiction opus, Dune. While information about the cast and crew have been known for some time, as well as the fact that this will be they will be splitting the adaptation of the novel into two movies, all we've gotten as far as concrete visuals from the production side has been a few scattered photos and screenshots.

Until now. Now, we finally have the first long-awaited trailer.
Dune has been adapted for the big screen before, of course; by David Lynch in 1984, in a movie which starred Kyle MacLachlan, Patrick Stewart, Sting, Dean Stockwell, Jose Ferrer, Max Von Sydow, Linda Hunt and Brad Dourif, among many others; and again in 2000, in a miniseries produced by the Sci-Fi Channel. Both efforts were, well, mixed. The Lynch movie was epic and grandiose, with a particularly memorable musical score and full of truly over-the-top acting, but it had the burden of trying to compress a 412-page novel into 2 hours and 17 minutes, and took some controversial liberties along the way. The miniseries, meanwhile, was longer and more true to the book, but had to make due with a much lower budget, and ultimately failed to impress.

With all of that in mind, I'm quite eager for this movie. I was very impressed by Villeneuve's Blade Runner 2049, and I think the decision to split this adaptation into two movies is a very good one, because there is sooooo much background info that needs to be properly established and explained.

And based on this trailer, it is looking damned impressive so far.
Image Image
Snow banner by Synkopated; Family banner by The Phiend

Jude

Re: Denis Villeneuve's DUNE

Post by Jude »

I have hope that this interpretation will live up to the hype, or at least come close. The official trailer, however, does not reenforce that hope for me.

The trailer, like nearly all trailers of movies from Hollywood, tend to be an awful calling card (again, for me). For a story as layered as Dune, this trailer is superficial in its content, just another weird sci-fi action flick, with no indication of the bigger implications involved.

The icing on the bitter cake, is Hans Zimmer and his supposed version of Pink Floyd's "Eclipse", which sounds uncreatively pretty close to the original. Never was impressed with his work, but again, that's just me.

None of this is to say I'm poo-pooing on the upcoming release. The design and characterizations seem on point so far, and if reports are to be trusted, the intention to deliver a Dune movie that works on the multiple levels as the novel is there. Just, I hate the trailer.
Shaving Shrodinger's Cat with Occam's Razor

CWS
Site Admin

Re: Denis Villeneuve's DUNE

Post by CWS »

I agree that the song felt out of place. It was a very weird choice and definitely my least favorite part of the trailer.

I was also hoping for a better look at the Baron than the tiny glimpse we got here, as well as some of the other Harkonnens besides Rabban.

But the costumes, armor, set designs, and technology all look fantastic. Kinetic barriers that don't look like Minecraft assets, ornithopters with flapping wings, and last but certainly not least...the worms.
Image Image
Snow banner by Synkopated; Family banner by The Phiend